Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Phoenix Police Radio Resignation

My old agency does four tens. We got our dog maintenance pay by working nine hour shifts. I had zero interest in working 12s. You’re just a clusterfuck away at the end of shift from working 16-20 hours or more. I’ve done 24 hours straight before. No thanks.

And that involved a 20-30 minute commute. I can’t imaging pulling a long shift like that and driving 2+ hours home.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    My old agency does four tens. We got our dog maintenance pay by working nine hour shifts. I had zero interest in working 12s. You’re just a clusterfuck away at the end of shift from working 16-20 hours or more. I’ve done 24 hours straight before. No thanks.

And that involved a 20-30 minute commute. I can’t imaging pulling a long shift like that and driving 2+ hours home.
    I've driven better after drinking with the guys than I have after pulling all day plus all night shifts involving surveillance, arrests, logging evidence, booking and preparing for magistrate court the next morning. There's only so much of that one can take without something bad happening.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    A small agency near me just went or is going to 16-hour shifts due to manpower (is that phrase still OK?) issues. I am not affiliated with that agency in any way and don't know whether it is really something they intend to follow through with or just a gambit to get more money allocated. Also not sure if they are talking about 4-16s, or something else. No matter what, it is a bad idea, in my opinion. On a routine basis, it is a very unsafe practice. I have issues with 12-hour shifts as well, but 16? Someone will get hurt.
    I’m sure that working people 16 hours a day won’t be a causal factor in even more folks leaving the agency. Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    I’m sure that working people 16 hours a day won’t be a causal factor in even more folks leaving the agency. Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s just soul crushing overtime.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Theres no way a person can work consecutive 12 hours night shifts and be fully mentally alert. Anything over 10 hours should be against the law. Locally firemen work 24 hr shifts and at the busy stations they don’t get a chance to sleep.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I used to work at an agency with a lot of mandatory overtime. There were times it was absolutely unsafe. The command did not care in the least. I found this study called “Tired Cops” from 1996: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...Police_Fatigue

The researchers used a device which measured fatigue using eye tracking. The device was used to evaluate the fitness of miners to work safely. Many officers didn’t meet the mining safety standard, but they went 10-8 as usual.

I fell asleep on the freeway at 70mph on the way home after a graveyard shift. I woke up three lanes over from where I started, still going 70 on the shoulder. One of my coworkers fell asleep in her patrol car with her foot on the brake and the car in drive. Her foot slipped off and she idled through the plate glass window of a business. It was her 36th consecutive day at work. She worked 13-16 hour days when possible to maximize overtime. The command restricted how many OT hours we could work after that incident, but it was still more than most of us wanted.

User Tag List