Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Phoenix Police Radio Resignation

Last edited by jh9; 11-17-2021 at 09:30 AM. Reason: LE subforum, not GD. shitpost removed.

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    I don't know what the fix is. More money isn't going to solve our issues any more than LE's .At some point, service levels are going to decrease, because there simply aren't enough bodies to fill the seats.
    That's a problem every sector/industry is having right now. There was a thread in GD on the same topic. Everything from covid deaths/disabilities to magic UI that people somehow haven't already spent to infinite 7% YoY growth with a birth rate below replacement and not enough skilled immigration to fill the gap. (I think Japan has been dealing with the last one for awhile.)

On the upside, your lateral options should look good for the foreseeable future. On the downside, it's not just fire / le / ems, it's everything. Service levels are going to decrease across the board because nobody has enough bodies to fill the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    On the downside, it's not just fire / le / ems, it's everything. Service levels are going to decrease across the board because nobody has enough bodies to fill the seats.
    My wife runs a small printing company with about 8-10 employees. She has gone from blowing off 1-3 resumes a month because she was fully staffed, to not being able to get people to show up for an interview.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Thanks for the reply; I’m sure you’re right that a variety of factors are in play. It seems like conventional wisdom (within LE) has been that the shortage of applicants is mostly because society doesn’t support cops doing their jobs anymore. Of course, that’s not the case with fire fighters, but as you say, there’s more to the story.

The work-life balance in the fire service isn’t “home by 1730, weekends and holidays off”, but isn’t it common to have multiple days on (to include on-call down time at the station) followed by multiple days off every week? Of course, then you add forced OT…
    There are a lot of variations, but I think the most common is a 24 on 48 off duty cycle, which works out to an average of 56 hours per week. One of our neighboring departments is short staffed to the point that everyone left is pretty much working 36 on 36 off. That gets old fast, and they're pretty busy.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

I left the Gang Unit and went back to motors as a Sergeant and it's added probably 10 years to my career. I know why I stayed in Gangs for as long as I did, but working day shift and having a normal schedule with weekends off has changed my outlook on work. Sometimes working for a larger agency has its advantages because there are still some cush spots you can slide into and be left alone (hopefully). I'm just lucky I was able to finally find something like that, I certainly paid my dues over 20 years. After working through the summer of 2020, I didn't know how much I had left in me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Had an Anniversary dinner last night and afterwards while waiting on my vehicle struck up a convo with one of the valets. Turns out he had a degree in Criminal Justice. He said he originally planned a Federal LEO career but ultimately decided in the ongoing political environment he wasnt going that route. I mentioned Border Patrol was hiring and his response indicated he was well versed in which agencies he could get hired at right now.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Scary stuff. My small town is struggling as well. I have two cops on my street and both of them have talked to me about applying. We have had an uptick in crime and home invasions when occupants are home.

I've sat through three meetings in the past three weeks with multiple SF Bay Area agencies and the overwhelming concern is always the same thing...we have no people and it's only getting worse. I'm supposed to sit through a regional community college district advisement meeting tomorrow where I'm sure it's going to be nothing but the same thing.

My department, which fared the nonsense form last year fairly well and still has large citizen support, is due to lose a quarter of it's officers in the next four years just due to retirements. We're only recruiting a small trickle and it seems to be mainly Oakland PD guys jumping ship. The current Contra Costa SO academy class is one of the smallest I've ever seen.

I agree, you can throw all the money in the world at recruiting, but I don't think it's going to fix it. The perception of our profession has been needlessly pummeled so badly in the past few years and the nonsense at a Federal and state level so bad (especially with legislation in California) I'm not sure how long it will take to recover from this or at this point if it is even possible.

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Weirdly, the university department with which I work is losing personnel for a different reason. While some are choosing to exit the profession entirely due to the current social climate, the majority of outbound officers are going to agencies with higher operational tempos because this place isn't exciting enough for them.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

Site Supporter
    I am a high school counselor. In elementary, the jobs many kids mention when you talk about careers are nurse, firefighter, police, and teacher. They get a little bit more broad by the time they are looking at graduation, but I still have kids tell me they want to do law enforcement. I encourage those with that bent to do so, but I don’t encourage Criminal Justice degrees. I could be wrong to have that feeling about it, but I believe they are better served for their whole-life preparation by getting degrees in something else.

Customs and BP don’t require any degree at all, and will hire and train 18yo as agents. So if they get a degree in something like psychology, business, accounting, or computer science, they have a broader range of skills and abilities that might serve them well in aspects of LE, and they are ready if they decide to jump to another agency later on, or if they decide federal LE (or LE in general) isn’t for them, they aren’t stuck with a degree that has limited utility outside that specific job field.

Our local sheriff’s office will also hire 18yo to work the jail, and then allow them to move to road assignments after they are 21. They also do not require any college. Our city PD doesn’t *require* college, but it is encouraged to have at least a 2 year degree, and they don’t hire 18yo.

They are kids and don’t think about retirement seriously, or what might lead to leaving a particular profession: injury, disability, etc. Those are additional reasons I encourage them, if they plan to go to college first, to pursue other degrees than Criminal Justice.

I would welcome input on this from anyone who would like to share. I personally never worked directly in LE, but served alongside supporting federal LE overseas and stateside when I was in the military, my father is retired LE, and many of my friends and neighbors are federal, state, and local LE.

User Tag List