Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Phoenix Police Radio Resignation

Site Supporter

Phoenix Police Radio Resignation

Are staffing shortages reaching critical mass ?

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...opL8jYYi6esJpw

Public resignation over Phoenix police radio draws attention to city's dwindling staff
    A Phoenix police officer resigned his position over radio traffic after dispatchers told him the entire shift needed to stay on the clock to answer more calls.

PHOENIX — A public resignation heard on the Phoenix Police Department’s radio over the weekend is calling attention to a lack of staff and the toll it’s taking on officers.
    Dispatcher: “I’ll check with the LT (Lieutenant), I think we’re also mandatory holdover until the calls go down.”

Unidentified officer: “Patrol 94, we’re being held over for a little bit if you can get out and answer some calls I’d appreciate it.”

It’s now 12:27 a.m.

Dispatcher: “So, 933 Henry for traffic.”

Rine: “33 Henry - I’ll be going upstairs to fill out my resignation letter then.”

Rine, apparently, kept his word. 12 News obtained a copy of Rine’s resignation letter, dated Nov. 6, 2021:

“I can no longer work in an environment where equal accountability does not exist. I will no longer work in an environment where I do other squad and shift’s work, do my own, and then be demanded to do the next shift's work as well,” Rine wrote in a part of the letter.

A Phoenix Police Department spokesperson told 12 News that Rine does still work for the department, even though they have Rine’s resignation memo.

According to public records, Rine has been with Phoenix police since 2007.

People outside of the profession do not realize the dire straits we are in. I've never seen recruitment this bad and the mass exodus from the profession. Those that choose to remain are being burnt out from mandatory overtime.

Staffing is beyond critical mass.

The department I retired from has(because literally no one has applied)transferred it's 6 person hiring unit to other investigative areas.

Site Supporter
    Part of the reason I posted this was apparently Depts are so hard up they are actively recruiting NYPD officers who have refused to be vaccinated.

Has anyone seen any PDs offer housing options at/near the station if an officer volunteers/voluntold to work overtime shifts with a quick turnaround between shifts?

Obviously this isn't the crux of the issue at hand, but with some areas being so expensive that officers have to live 2+ hours away it seems like an obvious friction point that could be smoothed out as applicable.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Part of the reason I posted this was apparently Depts are so hard up they are actively recruiting NYPD officers who have refused to be vaccinated.
    That’s interesting.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Didn't DeSantis offer signing bonuses for any officers so situated, a few weeks ago? I'm sure it was punking NYPD and other similarly situated departments, but I'm also sure they'd happily pay up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    That’s interesting.
    Coming soon to your area:

The Spokane County Sheriff’s Office is aiming to poach members of the NYPD with a $15,000 signing bonus as a carrot, but the flashy Times Square billboards trumpeting the recruitment ploy misspelled the name of the Evergreen State.
    https://nypost.com/2021/11/06/nypd-p...l-checker/amp/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fly out View Post
    Didn't DeSantis offer signing bonuses for any officers so situated, a few weeks ago? I'm sure it was punking NYPD and other similarly situated departments, but I'm also sure they'd happily pay up.
    DeSantis wants to pay unvaccinated cops $5K to relocate to Florida

https://nypost.com/2021/10/25/desant...te-to-florida/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Has anyone seen any PDs offer housing options at/near the station if an officer volunteers/voluntold to work overtime shifts with a quick turnaround between shifts?

Obviously this isn't the crux of the issue at hand, but with some areas being so expensive that officers have to live 2+ hours away it seems like an obvious friction point that could be smoothed out as applicable.
    CA / SF Bay Area have been doing that for at least 10 years.

I recall both the San Mateo and Marin County Sheriff’s offices had “bunk houses” where Deputies could crash between shifts. Due to housing prices in the Bay Area many LEOs live 2 hours or more from where they work. Add in compressed work schedules, OT and issues with sleep deprivation are real.

About 15 years ago I worked a case with a Palo Alto PD officer who lived 3 hours from his PD and drove an RV to work and lived in the parking lot during his work week.

Apparently there were airline employees at SFO doing the same thing -staying in RVs in long term parking during the work week.

User Tag List