Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anyone else into high end custom guns/1911's?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Oooohhhh, that's a Ned Christiansen, isn't it??
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    IYKYK
    Yuuup.

Name:  8AB3BD55-705F-4744-8336-DE0FACC5B815.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  93.9 KB
    Ignore Alien Orders

Am I into? Yes!!

Do I have, can I afford... well, eventually...

Ya'll keep showing 'em off, one day my old and crusty Delta Elite will no longer be so crusty...
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Anyone have any experience with Guncrafter industries 1911s? While not a full-blown custom, I believe it is a higher-end semi-custom?
    I'm looking at the model No. 1 specifically.

I've had a WC CQB that was nice, a great Springfield Armory Professional (Nowlin barrel), and still have a LB Custom Carry 1.5" with the no longer available Hard Hat coating.
    How does the Guncrafter stack up compared to WC and a Springfield Pro?

Part of me keeps thinking about picking up a lightly used LB Premier II 1.5" and having LB add a magwell and then sending to Evolution Armory for some action work, smoothing of edges, and serrations on top of the slide and then a 2-tone DLC coating.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 11-26-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Guncrafter industries 1911s? While not a full-blown custom, I believe it is a higher-end semi-custom?

I've had a WC CQB that was nice, a great Springfield Armory Professional (Nowlin barrel), and still have a LB Custom Carry 1.5" with the no longer available Hard Hat coating.

Part of me keeps thinking about picking up a lightly used LB Premier II 1.5" and having LB add a magwell and then sending to Evolution Armory for some action work, smoothing of edges, and serrations on top of the slide and then a 2-tone DLC coating.
    I will say this, IMO there is not much difference on which “semi custom” gun you roll with, they all have good and bad. I personally like NH, specifically David Atchley… but will admit they have some short coming in terms of spec in regards to extractor tuning, barrel fit, and I’ve seen some slide to frame “wiggle”.

At one point in time, I also thought Crafter was building the best semi custom gun, but of late they seem to have fallen out of favor a bit. Maybe it’s just the crowd I hang with. I certainly still believe they make a nice gun.

Wilson is not for me, but they are still loved by many. I see them as a high end production gun company that makes a lot of parts. They have really ventured out in regards to what they work on etc…. For me, Wilson is just not held in the same regard as the others.

I will admit that Baer hold a place for me. If blending and refinement are your thing, look else where… however, Baer makes a tight gun with a great hard fit barrel. I think starting with a Baer and then having some minor refinement done is a good place to be….

That said, Alchemy also makes an amazing gun…. For the money, you get a well build classically styled gun! I think the approach to building is similar to Baer or SA Pro, just much more refined that the other two. Outside of a small handful of guns, I’ve not heard many complaints from ACW owners.

I had a chance to play around with a gun Mike Padgett build over the summer… “MP Customs”. I think his prices are pretty much on par with the semi custom makes. I know he’s had a chance to study under Marvel and IMO he builds a real nice gun.

I know I’m kinda circling the question…. All in all, Crafter does a lot of good thing, and IMO lacks in a few other spots. I personally love the look and feel of the Frag and also the inspiration behind it.

As mentioned, in my first line, find a gun that you love and roll… all in all, I personally think the majority of the semi custom guns are all about the same.
    A custom 1911 is like a fine piece of ass, there is no known substitute... and neither are cheap.

I'd love to get an Alchemy, but I live in California so I'm severely restricted on new 1911s that are on the "Safe Handgun" roster.

I'll check out MP Custom. Thank you.

The Les Baer pistols have something special about them. I keep coming back to the Baer pistols.

I'll have to see if there's a Guncrafter stocking dealer here in California, so that I can put one in my hands.

Nighthawk unfortunately doesn't appear to have what I seek that's California approved.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post

Yes, I have a 5” No Name in 9mm. It is the equal of the nicer grade Wilson guns. Nicer fit /finish and trigger than either of my LB.

Like Nighthawk, the GC people are former Wilson employees, though my understanding is the GC folks left on better terms. My gun has a Wilson style adjustable rear sight and the slide and other parts look like they be sourced from Wilson as well.

User Tag List