Thread: Clay Pigeon Games

Clay Pigeon Games

Anyone here play clay pigeon games? Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, Crazy Quail, or stuff like that?

I shot a little bit of skeet and trap as a kid, but not a lot. We had plenty of feilds and threw clays by hand a lot. I have a clay thrower machine I'm not sure if I've ever used.

This morning I tried out a local place I heard about. I played 1 round of skeet, just to get my feet wet with something somewhat familiar, then a round of Crazy Quail. Crazy Quail was an absolute blast with random clays at all kinds of angles. I can't wait to do it again.

I used an old 1187 Premier 12G. The first gun I ever bought myself and it's tuckered out. I found that sometimes the bolt needed to be pulled back a little further to get a shell in, even when locked open after firing. Probably just needs a deep clean.

I know obviously Mr. Kelley has shot a few clays, and I think @rob_s had a thread about it a few years ago. What guns do y'all use and what games do you like? Tangents/side tracks/open discussion on overall topic welcomed.

The beat up old 1187, a canvas apron, and some shells make for a great morning.

Played a round of skeet, then a game called crazy quail. Had an absolute blast. I'll be playing more crazy quail for sure. The 1187 is the first gun I ever bought myself, and while not perfect, still gets it done.

http://instagram.com/p/CWOPbxmLIjy/

Yep, wife and I both shoot sporting clays with our Beretta A300 Outlander Synthetics

Most fun I’ve had with a gun (maybe even without) in a decade.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I shot trap through middle and high school with a Remington 870TB. It was my first "straight gun" (25 straight, you demented animals!) I was on the academy team all four years where we shot American and Int'l skeet, American trap and Modified Clays. I found that a second shot at a missed target on Mod Clays was impossible for me so switched to an 1100 which was a team gun. I had a skeet barrel and a trap barrel and both a pull and a release trigger for it and used it for all four games for three years. When I was a senior, I "inherited" a team Krieghoff K32 for the skeet games. That Krieghoff was the best shotgun I have every used. I shoot the shotgun games only occasionally any more but concur with the earlier comment that they are the most fun. Sporting clays, especially, is a hoot. I reckon your 11-87 is more than up to the job, more so if you have interchangeable choke tubes. You have reminded me that I need to get myself an 1100. Thanks a lot, pal.😁

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    I shot trap through middle and high school with a Remington 870TB. It was my first "straight gun" (25 straight, you demented animals!) I was on the academy team all four years where we shot American and Int'l skeet, American trap and Modified Clays. I found that a second shot at a missed target on Mod Clays was impossible for me so switched to an 1100 which was a team gun. I had a skeet barrel and a trap barrel and both a pull and a release trigger for it and used it for all four games for three years. When I was a senior, I "inherited" a team Krieghoff K32 for the skeet games. That Krieghoff was the best shotgun I have every used. I shoot the shotgun games only occasionally any more but concur with the earlier comment that they are the most fun. Sporting clays, especially, is a hoot. I reckon your 11-87 is more than up to the job, more so if you have interchangeable choke tubes. You have reminded me that I need to get myself an 1100. Thanks a lot, pal.😁
    Sweet. My 1187 does as well as I let it do. I have IC, Mod, Full, and extended full. And it doesn't need a tool to change which is nice.

The A300 Outlanders look nice. I'd thought of getting one for clays, the price of the A400s is hefty. So is the 1301 comp. I think I like that manual of arms more than the 1187. I'm in no rush though.

My wife and I frequently shoot sporting clays, usually with her father. It’s a fun way to spend the day chatting, joking and breaking unlucky clay targets, but can get expensive.

I also belong to a club with trap, skeet and five stand. Trap & Skeet are great competition, Five Stand can be competitive but my wife labeled our club “Combat Five Stand” because we frequently allow it to become play time where you call for a bird but if you miss any other shooter can try to break it before everyone else. Two fifteen year old twin sisters there are beyond competitive with each other.

The shotguns used can be anything from ultra specialized to hunting to antique. It’s really a lot of fun to shoot my 21”, eight round 870 around guys with $14K Krieghoff guns. I don’t always beat them but I can make them wonder what the extra $13,200 was for…

All summer we gather at WPAFB Rod & Gun Wednesdays after work for 100 skeet targets. It is a great hump day deal.
    Used to do more trap, there was a club near my house.
    Do sporting clays from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

User Tag List