Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouseguns

Supposedly the current generation of mags don't allow the top round to work itself out if the mag is carried loose in a pocket.

My PM9 always worked fine with the 7 round mags that it came with from another P-F.com member in 2016, so no advice I can give there.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I've got a 2015-2016 vintage 8rd Kahr magazine that was always easier to reload with. That has worked reliably.
    The 6 round magazines I've got work reliably, though the base plates do disassemble when dropped on padded concrete...

My gripe with Kahr magazines, in general, is the follower "foot".
    It is weak point and can break, rendering the entire magazine useless. Now granted, it only breaks when you've disassemble the magazines and are cleaning it, etc...

I found this https://lakelinellc.com/product-cate...s-accessories/ but I can't vouch for it/haven't tried it...

I'm not sure how to tell the difference of the magazine generations...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    https://lakelinellc.com/product-cate...s-accessories/ but I can't vouch for it/haven't tried it...
    Do you know if the aftermarket P380 striker helps reliability?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

It used to be if you called Kahr and informed them you had mags where the top round popped loose, they would exchange them. Not sure if they still do that, but it might be worth a phone call. It is a common issue with Kahr mags in every caliber.

My two 7rd mags for my CM9 have always worked, which I know is an unhelpful non-answer. I do know Wolff supports Kahr pistols so you may browse what they have to see if there's anything helpful.

I also run Pearce finger rest base pads on the 6rd mags and they help a lot with shootability without making it any harder to conceal (IWB, at least - I don't do much pocket carrying but when I do I go back to a flush mag). If I couldn't make 7rd mags work reliably, I'd be fine carrying those as a reload too.

I used to carry j frames as BUG/pocket-size guns, but several years ago switched the Kahrs. They carry as easily and I shoot them better. My experience is not guarantee of what another gun might do, but I have had no reliability issues with either size magazine. I also have a Kahr P380 and no problems with it either. I got it after going through S&W bodyguards and LCPs and not liking them.

I do not carry any gun until it has gone several hundred rounds without a malfunction (defective ammo aside) and with a variety of ammo. I have experienced feeding issues with some Kahrs for the first 50-100 rounds in a new gun, but that has always cleared up pretty fast. I only carry 147 grain ammo in the 9mm, unless I am forced to do otherwise.

Some people have reported problems with the magazine follower hitting the rear of feed ramp with eventual failure resulting, and the steel followers are a solution to that. I guess I have been lucky...I have not experienced this problem. If you examine your mag and the front of the follower is getting chewed up, that is an indication this could be happening. The other fix is to relieve the rear edge of the feed ramp, or so I am told.

Kahr did change the follower in their mags a few years back, and I guess the new one may be more reliable but I have never had a problem with either type. I have heard of the issue with the top round coming loose, but I don't carry mags loose in my pocket, so I have never seen this.

The .380 striker is supposedly at risk to break and Lakeline says theirs will not. My understanding is that is the only "benefit," not overall reliability. I have one of those strikers and have yet to install it.

My son also carries a Kahr and ordered a mag at a good price online. It never worked reliably, even with a spring change, and in in his gun or mine. I am not certain it is a legit Kahr mag as I never experienced that before. If it is a legit kahr product, I suspect the feed lips must have gotten jacked up or something. It is a nice tool for malfunction drills.

Name:  Kahr new follower.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  29.1 KB

New style follower on the right.

Site Supporter
    I had a PM-9 way back when, about the time of the introduction of the Gen 3 Glock 26s Mine was a jammer even with different mags and I had no interest in playing with it, so I sold it.

I had an LCP which was reliable but I didn't like shooting it, thus I traded it towards a G42.

That was a first issue and was a horrific jammer. It jammed solid on the first round fired and Karl Rehn had to help me free it. Bah. Later when testing it, it fired out of battery with smoke and flame coming out of the ejection port. Back to the shop and it was fixed but I'm still leary of it. My Js are more my pocket choice.

A Taurus Pt-22, a pretty chromed gun with very nice fancy wood grips. Terrible jammer - could not get through a mag. It ejected entire live rounds. It slammed shut on live round it was trying to eject and bent it in half. OMG!

Went shooting with Dave Kopel, the gun rights activist. He had a Beretta 21 something, it liked to jam.

For a true mouse gun - my NAA minis never gave me trouble but they were not serious EDC, just because guns.

North American Arms Guardian

I have the NAA-32 pistol. Had it for decades. It is .32acp with 6+1 capacity and stainless steel. Think Seecamp 32 in appearance. I vetted the pistol with JHP and FMJ bullets with 100% function. Probably at least 500 rounds through it. This thread makes me want to shoot it again. It is not competitive with the .380 and 9mm polymer pistols of today in regards to caliber and weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Here's a true story involving a baby Browning...

I and my teenage buddy were backpacking in the Sierras. We had heard that there was a really aggressive black bear in the area we were planning to camp at, but there was a mountain we wanted to climb so that's where we set up our tent. Around midnight the bear showed up, and it began to trash our campsite. We did all the standard things--banged pots and pans and yelled, but this only seemed to make the bear angry. It was clearly not afraid of us in any way. I had a little Browning in my pocket, and I figured that I would fire a shot to try to scare it off. As I was getting the gun out, my buddy hit the bear squarely in the head with a softball sized piece of granite. This seriously pissed the bear off and it charged me. I ran, tripped, and lost the gun. As the bear was chasing me, my buddy picked the gun up. When he saw what it was, he screamed "Oh my GOD, it's a GUN!!!" and threw it into the bushes. The bear continued to destroy our campsite, but fortunately didn't seem interested in killing me anymore. After what seemed like an hour but was probably only seconds I found the Browning and fired off a single shot into the ground. The bear immediately stopped, and ran away. My buddy seemed more scared by the gun than by the bear, and continued to give me grief for the rest of the trip.
    And that is surely the backstory of your User Name!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I've carried a pocket gun daily for over 40 yrs now and I think I've tried just about every viable semi-auto, revolver and derringer out there. Kahr, Beretta, High Standard, NAA, Browning, Colt, blah, blah, blah.

For a long time (80's-90's time frame) I carried a Beretta Mod 20 or 950 (.25 Auto) loaded with a fast moving (1200 fps) monolithic hollow-point made by PPS, Ltd. I couldn't train with it much because seven (7) rounds costs about $15 back then, which was an ass-full of money for rounds shot into a backstop.

When the LCP came along in 2008, I waited a year or so till I was sure the bugs were worked out and I haven't really found anything better to date. I did move up to the updated version of the original Gen 1 design as the improved sights (slide bumps) made the gun much easier to shoot. My half-dozen samples have worked fine and they're more accurate than they need to be. The only concern I have about the LCP is durability, so I have carry guns and a single dedicated training gun.

I shoot them well enough to protect myself and carry one as a 2nd gun everyday.

The Test - Modified to 7 rounds (yanked one round)

Dot Torture - 5 yds - Clean

A typical LE Qualification COF - 50 rds fired at various positions from 3 to 25 yards (yanked one round)

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List