Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouseguns

Mouseguns

Mouseguns! Here is a new thread on the topic of very small guns. I would define a mousegun as no larger than a Ruger LCP.

Here are some links to previous related discussions on pocket .380s and BUGs.

Disadvantages of mouseguns:
    • less reliable
    • less capacity
    • less powerful
    • hard to shoot well

Advantages of mouseguns:
    • tiny
    • lightweight

Why would we choose a mousegun instead of a larger gun?
    What are the best mouseguns--especially with regard to reliability?
    Other things of interest?

Please limit the thread to mouseguns. No Glock 42s or snubbies allowed.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Ok, I admit to starting this thread for selfish reasons. The biblical rain in the PNW has led me to pants pocket carry for easier access while wearing raingear. After re-re-visiting my LCR9 for pants pocket carry and once again finding it too large, I'm back to my LCP1 Gen2. It's been a really good gun, and it shoots surprisingly well for what it is.

But, the grip angle on the LCP is quite vertical, and very unlike my CZs and Glocks. The Kahr P380 looks like it has a more angled grip. I know folks have had some mixed experiences with these little guns. Am I nuts to consider it?

Name:  kp3834-tfb-tm.jpg
Views: 2948
Size:  33.5 KBName:  1.jpg
Views: 2930
Size:  24.1 KB
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I do NOT have any personal experience with the Kahr 380… I looked at them back in the day, and pretty much every thing I read was not complimentary.

I did own a Keltec P32. Amazingly small, but I found the semi rimmed .32 gave me rim lock malfunctions enough that I no longer trusted it.

The LCP in 380 with the replaceable sights seems the way to go… I just wish the finish on Ruger pistols did not rust just be looking at them too hard.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Based strictly on other people's experiences, I'd say you are fine trying the Kahr if...
    1) You are okay with vetting the shit out of it
    2) You can find and afford the ammo to do #1
    3) You are okay dealing with it not functioning properly, i.e., sending back to Kahr or selling.

The first tiny gun I ever bought was a Kahr 380 and it was traded in towards an LCP.

The Kahr choked on a variety of FMJ and also both Speer Golddot and Federal HS.

My LCP has not had one malfunction with any type of ammo.

I sometimes carry a LCP. Rarely but it happens. When I have to go somewhere where a full size gun would be hard to conceal and obvious. And on the rare occasion I have to run out to the store in the evening. The LOP is easy to just throw in a pocket and go.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    The first tiny gun I ever bought was a Kahr 380 and it was traded in towards an LCP.

The Kahr choked on a variety of FMJ and also both Speer Golddot and Federal HS.

My LCP has not had one malfunction with any type of ammo.
    My experience was almost the opposite. I bought a LCP early on and it worked well but the sights and trigger along with no last round hold open didn't do it for me. I bought a Kahr P380 and it worked almost flawlessly with any ammo I tried. I liked it so much I bough the cheaper CW380 which is the same size but uses a MIM or cast slide lock lever and no polygonal rifled barrel. It also has less slide machining and stamped not rolled marks but basically the same gun. It runs as good or better than the P380 as I don't recall any malfunctions with it. Still have both Kahrs.

That said LCPs are often less expensive and with the LCPII and LCP Max out more choices are always good. I am looking at getting a LCP Max but I don't know if that fits the OP definition on mousegun. It fits mine.

I had an LCP for a short while. Carries great, but I had pretty routine stoppage issues typically on the 4th or 5th round in the magazine with the pinkie extension. Without the pinkie extension it worked fine, but had a nasty habit of wriggling it’s way out of my hands regardless of how I gripped it. Simply didn’t work for me.

For pocket carry I’ve had really good experience with my J-frame. Since this is a mousegun thread I’ll leave it at that.

I’m not opposed to the concept of a different mousegun though and am eager to hear of other possible options. Does anyone have any experience with the Beretta Tomcats?

Site Supporter
    The LCP 1 Gen 1 I had was reliable for a decade of minimal care and hundreds of rounds. Hundreds of rounds isn't a lot but on an LCP it is a pretty decent round count, especially compared to the average LCP owner. It finally crapped out on me, but Ruger replaced the slide and sent it back. It is now with a family member, but I did like it for what it was.

The LCP with and extra mag carried in your watch pocket gives you 13 rounds in a package that is almost as if it isn't there. While you are not going to win any major gun games with it, the LCP actually is not that difficult to shoot at a decent level. The worst thing about it is that is painful to shoot. Not PF9 painful, but after 50 rounds I am ready to stop.

The reason I would select it over a snubbie is that I cannot get a DAO snubbie with a bobbed hammer, and the LCP simply disappears. You could carry with an empty chamber and carry it in some shirt pockets if you absolutely had to do so.

A Keltec P32 is a small gun I would like to try.

This is what I have for you…

@Clusterfrack

Name:  82C0E5DA-4533-4D3A-8BAD-DC17A41009A0.jpg
Views: 2825
Size:  86.7 KB

Kimber micro 380 has a more sloped grip angle.

But for size and weight it’s hard to beat the LCP Custom.

Better sights and trigger.

Name:  AE38D0A9-E7D5-4061-A454-9E31535C4080.jpg
Views: 2792
Size:  32.4 KB

But really what you should get is a Taurus Curve.

Sloped grip and curved to along your thigh in a pocket!

Name:  3D83FE31-E25C-41D4-842B-5284E5790AE2.jpg
Views: 2799
Size:  74.7 KB

Just kidding. It’s a horrible gun.

Instead of the P380, what about a Smith Bodyguard?

Similar type of long DA trigger pull.

Name:  3AA4146A-62C8-45C7-BE3E-9876DC26BF11.jpg
Views: 2829
Size:  84.1 KB

But when I pocket carry it’s usually this:

Name:  3AF7DE2E-385E-4125-A30C-B58C700EEAEA.jpg
Views: 2833
Size:  81.0 KB

Half a step up from a sharp stick.

User Tag List