Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouseguns

Last week Iwas offered a like new LCP II for $230 so I bought it. I had a LCP II once before and I liked it just fine. Ended up trading it off with the intention of getting another someday.

I'll keep it loaded with FMJ.

Site Supporter
    Picked up a P32 today. At $175 I couldn’t say no.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Picked up a P32 today. At $175 I couldn’t say no.
    I wouldn't be able to either.

So, I'll admit some irrational bias. The thing keeping me from buying/trying a lot of pocket guns is they're chambered in .380. I've had half a dozen .380s and they all sucked to shoot and only one actually ran without incident. And since getting rid of the last one I had (Bersa, I know), I've just not been able to convince myself to invest back in the caliber. When by contrast I've rarely owned a .32 that did not work and that wasn't easy as pie to shoot.

And it's not rational, but the .32NAA makes enough crossed stream for me to run with. If more .380s had .32NAA barrel available, I'd have a pile of them. Or if I could figure out a legitimately good way to sleeve a .380 barrel down.

Assassins and men of low character know what’s up.

Name:  85F3899D-6FDD-4D65-931B-5CFE9713F18B.jpeg
Views: 945
Size:  93.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I do NOT have any personal experience with the Kahr 380… I looked at them back in the day, and pretty much every thing I read was not complimentary.

I did own a Keltec P32. Amazingly small, but I found the semi rimmed .32 gave me rim lock malfunctions enough that I no longer trusted it.

The LCP in 380 with the replaceable sights seems the way to go… I just wish the finish on Ruger pistols did not rust just be looking at them too hard.
    The reason that you had Rim lock is that you used HP Ammo in a caliber that is meant to use FMJ the way that JM Browning intended.You will not get rimlock with proper length ammo in a FMJ round. A Kel-Tec P32 is one of the best Pocket Pistols out there because it weighs 6.6 oz and is the thinnest pocket gun at .75" and holds 8 rounds of 7.65mm Browning 73gr FMJ (which is what you should be putting in it). It has negligible recoil and is easy to hit with and my two copies are 100% reliable. I have carried them for 22 years.
    An LCP, on the other hand, is a nasty little beast that is not easy to shoot well at all. Tiny ultra-light .380's and for that matter, 9mm's are way overrated and are very unbalanced handguns- the weight to power factor ratio is just way out of balance.
    A 7.65mm will put somebody down just as fast as a .380. I love .380 too, just in a bigger pistol like a SIG P365 sized pistol. In fact, all these micro 9's should be in .380 IMO. The .380 would get a lot more cred if it was called what it actually is: a 9mm Short.
    Folks whom are not Military or Police could learn a lot from the Claude Werner philosophy of breaking contact if you're a civilian CCW carrier. Cops and Military have a completely different mission and need a different primary handgun. Also, the old cliche is correct- have a gun. Which is way easier to accomplish if you have a small lightweight pistol to grab when heading out the door on a milkrun to the Circle K.
    Last edited by johnnywitt; 12-04-2021 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Just opining here. I have two gen 5 Glocks, a 17 and 26. To me their finish is a bit slippery compared to my gen 3 Glock 21. I wonder if the finish on gen 5 models affect a holster's ability to hold onto the pistol. As an aside, I carry my S&W 340PD in an Uncle Mike's size 3 holster in my front right pocket. Revolver stays put and the holster stays in the pocket when the revolver is drawn. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges.
    I use a Desantis Superfly for small autos, but the J Frames carry really well in a Mika Pocket Holster because you can get them in a rounded shape. The other J Frame holsters are square on the bottoms & won't fir in a lot of pockets where the Mika will. Sorry about the thread drift, but a lot of Folks that like small autos carry J Frames too and maybe this will help some safe queen J Frames get carried again.

Quote Originally Posted by boing View Post
    Assassins and men of low character know what’s up.

Name:  85F3899D-6FDD-4D65-931B-5CFE9713F18B.jpeg
Views: 945
Size:  93.3 KB
    The Duck of Death.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnywitt View Post
    The reason that you had Rim lock is that you used HP Ammo in a caliber that is meant to use FMJ the way that JM Browning intended.You will not get rimlock with proper length ammo in a FMJ round. A Kel-Tec P32 is one of the best Pocket Pistols out there because it weighs 6.6 oz and is the thinnest pocket gun at .75" and holds 8 rounds of 7.65mm Browning 73gr FMJ (which is what you should be putting in it). It has negligible recoil and is easy to hit with and my two copies are 100% reliable. I have carried them for 22 years.
    An LCP, on the other hand, is a nasty little beast that is not easy to shoot well at all. Tiny ultra-light .380's and for that matter, 9mm's are way overrated and are very unbalanced handguns- the weight to power factor ratio is just way out of balance.
    A 7.65mm will put somebody down just as fast as a .380. I love .380 too, just in a bigger pistol like a SIG P365 sized pistol. In fact, all these micro 9's should be in .380 IMO. The .380 would get a lot more cred if it was called what it actually is: a 9mm Short.
    Folks whom are not Military or Police could learn a lot from the Claude Werner philosophy of breaking contact if you're a civilian CCW carrier. Cops and Military have a completely different mission and need a different primary handgun. Also, the old cliche is correct- have a gun. Which is way easier to accomplish if you have a small lightweight pistol to grab when heading out the door on a milkrun to the Circle K.
    I did carry HP some times (cor born if I recall, it’s been 20 years). But, It malfunctioned because I carried it on my ankle, clipped in a boot. Running, climbing stairs, general “bouncing” due to is location. When I would go to the range, I would take it out and fire it “as is” straight from the holster. About a lot of times, first round goes bang, second round is hung up in rim lock. Multiple mags rotated in, some issue. Mags just loaded and set on the table? Those run fine. And I don’t recall much, if any, rim lock from firing. Any mag carried in the gun, all day, for weeks, on the ankle, bouncing… that produced rim lock for me. I am never going to pocket carry, ever, so I sold it off.

I’m not a civilian CCW, I am LE with a need of a primary handgun. I never intended the 32 to fill that role. The 365 is on me 7 days a week. On duty and off. If I am leaving the office to go do enforcement, I will grab a p320 or rifle to complement the 365.

Side note, the p32 rusted often, the mags even more so. Terrible finish for south TX humidity.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    A true rimlock, with the rim of one cartridge behind the rim of the cartridge below it, is not going to happen from the rounds bouncing around. The same rim interaction which makes a true rimlock such a nasty jam will also prevent it from occurring if the magazine has been properly loaded. In my experience, rimlock occurs while the magazine is being loaded with cartridges. Careful loading of the magazine will prevent it from ever occurring.

First shot jams, particularly when a P-32 is loaded with 7+1, are often the result of the rim of the first cartridge within the groove of the cartridge below it. This is not a true rimlock, but the standard 9 lb. recoil springs will not overcome this condition when the gun is fully loaded. Switching to Wolff 11 lb. recoil springs will overcome this condition every time. I regard it he extra power recoil springs as mandatory for a P-32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Kahr p380 update: spare parts arrived from the Kahr mothership. It's nice that every part is readily available and reasonably priced.

The double recoil springs are the main point of this post. The springs in my gun were apparently quite worn, despite a low round count. The outer spring was 1.5 coils short and the inner spring was 4 (!) coils short. Installing the new springs was challenging. I solved it by using the edge of a bench to push the rod and compress the springs while aligning the rod tip to fit in through the slide hole. These new springs are much heavier--especially in the first 1/4" of slide movement. No wonder I had some FTRB before I lubed and polished the slide stop and lower lug.

My plan is to order some extra recoil springs (2x more of the inner springs) and replace them often.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List