Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper dovetailed tritium front sight installation?

Proper dovetailed tritium front sight installation?

I just managed to kill my first sight during installation in years - it hasn’t happened since I started using presses over twenty years ago. This is on a P365 with a dovetailed front.

The manufacturer replaced the sight under warranty as an exception, but they said using a press will void their warranty - they want a punch to be used.

That was how we used to kill tritium sights at will. What do y’all think about this recommendation?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I just managed to kill my first sight during installation in years - it hasn’t happened since I started using presses over twenty years ago. This is on a P365 with a dovetailed front.

The manufacturer replaced the sight under warranty as an exception, but they said using a press will void their warranty - they want a punch to be used.

That was how we used to kill tritium sights at will. What do y’all think about this recommendation?
    I have replaced a couple P365 front sights and they are pretty firmly planted.

I did use a punch, but a flat one that I could just hit the base of the sight wing. Dawson includes them with their sights.

https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-p...llation-tools/

Try pre-treating with penetrating oil to remove.

Clean and degrease and use dish soap and water to reinstall.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I have replaced a couple P365 front sights and they are pretty firmly planted.

I did use a punch, but a flat one that I could just hit the base of the sight wing. Dawson includes them with their sights.

https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-p...llation-tools/

Try pre-treating with penetrating oil to remove.

Clean and degrease and use dish soap and water to reinstall.
    Moving the sight out or in isn’t the issue, it’s the instructions to only use a punch. That really surprises me because impact is always what I was told to avoid. Then again, I killed it using the press, so…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Moving the sight out or in isn’t the issue, it’s the instructions to only use a punch. That really surprises me because impact is always what I was told to avoid. Then again, I killed it using the press, so…
    I think if you used the press on the square part itself you crushed the tritium vial from the side.

Impact directly to the vial from the side with a punch might be dicey and could wreck a vial.

Impact to the base theoretically would dampen and distribute the blow to the little gas vial.

If you used a press that didn’t torque the square part of the sight and only pushed the flat base probably fine.

Name:  94F2B366-2DE7-44E5-9CF6-69A11C120A56.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  23.5 KB

Site Supporter
    I always use a press if at all possible. I get as low on the sight as possible. So far, no problems. I have had a couple of occasions where the press could not generate enough force, and I had to use a punch to either remove a sight or get it completely into the dovetail. Once completely in, I was able to finish with the press.

I only know of one press capable of pushing on the dovetail rather than the sight itself. It is not the MGW that many here (including me) use. When using it, one must be very careful not to rub the screw threads on the dovetail channel, or it will ruin the press. Hopefully I can post a link later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I always use a press if at all possible. I get as low on the sight as possible. So far, no problems. I have had a couple of occasions where the press could not generate enough force, and I had to use a punch to either remove a sight or get it completely into the dovetail.
    I think sometimes a punch to start it works like an impact wrench and less force is needed than a press.

I also wonder if a brass or aluminum spacer / shim could be used in conjunction with an MGW to partially press on the dovetail base as well as the sight blade.

I do have a set of nonmarring punches here somewhere, but I just realized I also have a generic press that I think has a pointy arbor which can reach into the dovetail. I think I’ll just follow their instructions, though. They recommend using a nylon head mallet to drive the sight as far as you can go (end of dovetail flush with the side of the slide) and then a punch to take it the rest of the way. And fitting the sight base.

None of this would be needed if SIG didn’t use that crappy green for their front sight rings. For me, it’s almost invisible. This is annoying because I had no issues installing this same sight on my P320.
    Ken

Site Supporter

This is the only sight pusher within my knowledge that is capable of being adjusted low enough to push the sight by the dovetail. I used mine numerous times to install sights before buying my MGW.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod17840.aspx

I’m pissed. Like really, really pissed.

I followed the manufacturer’s instructions to a T, very lightly stoning the bottom of the dovetail until I could push and wiggle it in about 50%. I then used a punch to drift it in the rest of the way. This is far from my first dovetail front sight installation.

Today I went to the range to check point of aim, it was fine so I put about $75 worth of range and carry ammunition through it. When I field stripped it to wipe it down before reloading to holster, the fucking front sight fell off.

Im trying to decide whether I throw this thing in the trash or try and dimple the base with a punch followed with bedding in Loctite. Either way I have to blow more scarce and expensive ammunition.

Pissed.
    Ken

I've had success using a hard, sharply pointed punch to dimple the underside of the sight. I dimpled it really well and used some Loctite 620 that I had on hand. The sight hasn't moved.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List