30 40.00%
  • I prefer alloy framed 1911s for carry

36 48.00%
  • No preference/Other

9 12.00%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll - 1911 Frame Material Preferences for Carry

Poll - 1911 Frame Material Preferences for Carry

This isn't a question I personally have to think seriously about any time soon, as I currently only own steel 1911s and I'm not buying a new one in the near future. But it's something I've been pondering and I'm curious about input from others who've been carrying them for a considerable amount of time. I figure there may be enough people here who carry or have carried a 1911 with frequency to get some meaningful results.

What got me thinking about it was the fact that for the specific model I carry, I save (only?) 7oz by switching to its lightweight counterpart model (34oz to 27oz) in exchange for a slightly higher price tag and the maintenance and durability issues that can come with alloy frames (whether or not they actually matter at all or for a given caliber). Also, if I were carrying .45 and chose a lightweight Government model, which I'd be inclined to do for that cartridge, it would weigh basically the same as my steel 4" 9mm, with a few extra ounces added by the heavier ammo.

The main question is whether, considering potential downsides of choosing an aluminum gun (price, durability, desire to then also have a steel training gun when maybe a steel carry gun wouldn't require that dedicated range counterpart), you consider the weight savings of a lightweight model worthwhile, and to what degree. Is it a must have, a nice to have, or a nah, stick with steel?

As a secondary matter, I'm also curious to know if carry location has an impact on this. Does the weight of the gun matter more if it's carried strongside OWB or IWB as opposed to AIWB, where belt tension is generally looser and a stiff belt isn't necessary to hold a gun up?

I voted “other,” because i have direct experience with Rock River’s excellent and affordable (relatively, for RR) “Poly” model.

I realize that using the phrase “polymer frame” anywhere within earshot of 1911 enthusiasts borders on heresy, but just ask the handful of other P-F’ers who have or have owned one—I bet they agree with me.

That RR Poly may be one of the most underrated carry guns ever made—primarily because so few have actually seen or tried one.

JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    There's no doubt a lightweight alloy framed gun is nicer to carry. But since I shoot steel framed guns better, that's what I carry.

Aluminum framed CCO is where it's at and it is hard to beat the Dan Wesson Vigil.

Site Supporter
    My DW Guardian .45 is pretty sweet,
    doesn't get much carry time these day's though.

In 9mm I'd say alloy. In .45 probably steel. I've got three steel 5" guns and one LW Operator .45 for carry. It is very nice. I love the substantial but lighter overall weight. It's a tight shooting gun but "steers" on me more than the all steel guns. So far, I have to slow down a tick at the longer tight shots on the timer. Not so much up close.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I went with an alloy 9mm Commander as my carry gun, and would do so again.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Carry a DW Guardian in .45acp and I'm quite satisfied with it.

If you are looking at weight savings you shouldn't be crossing caliber/size boundaries. Apples to apples you know.

I tried a Lightweight Commander in 45...at around the 100 round mark (give or take) it started getting tiresome if not painful to shoot for me. I had a Wiley Clapp CCO...again, around the 100 mark it started inducing a flinch (and also broke open my hand at the web of my thumb thanks to it's un-dehorned thumb safety). Admittedly at the time my defensive load of choice was Golden Sabre 185gr +Ps...but even plain old 230gr ball was tiresome after the 100 round mark. I have a Colt Combat Elite Commander; steel frame this time around...still uncomfortable to shoot at higher round counts compared to a Gov't model, for me. Maybe it's the barrel length more than the frame material?

I'd like to try an alloy framed 5" Gov't model...maybe that's the secret combination for me? Or even one of the RRA poly guns that was mentioned earlier - I've been side eyeing one of those for a while..and they're inexpensive enough (hah) to make the venture worth the time for me, whenever I find myself employed again. It seems like you get an awful lot of gun for that price...if the frame isn't a total gimmick, anyway.

Otherwise, the steel framed behemoth I know and love works just fine for me as it is, and I'm not gonna mentally flinch and think "man this is going to hurt after a couple mags of this" every time I pull the trigger...at least, not yet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I voted “other,” because i have direct experience with Rock River’s excellent and affordable (relatively, for RR) “Poly” model.

I realize that using the phrase “polymer frame” anywhere within earshot of 1911 enthusiasts borders on heresy, but just ask the handful of other P-F’ers who have or have owned one—I bet they agree with me.

That RR Poly may be one of the most underrated carry guns ever made—primarily because so few have actually seen or tried one.

JMO.
    I’ve heard good things. I want one. Anymore info.

User Tag List