• I prefer steel framed 1911s for carry

30 40.00%
  • I prefer alloy framed 1911s for carry

36 48.00%
  • No preference/Other

9 12.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll - 1911 Frame Material Preferences for Carry

My last pair of carry 1911s were 5” aluminum frame Wilsons.

Only way to go IMO.

Use the steel frames for training beaters.

Appreciate the responses so far. Every time I post a thread here I feel like I’m asking a dumb question but this is helpful.

I forgot about the RRA Poly. I’d absolutely try one out if I got the chance. My carry gun deviates from JMB’s design in pretty much every other way possible (see member tag) so I’m not going to judge it.

Comparing a 4” to a 5” gun doesn’t really work, for sure. I just found it interesting that a steel commander could be close to a lightweight 5”. In my head I was thinking alloy frames cut off more ounces, hence the question. I also guessed that the response would be about what it is so far - that the issue is me just not knowing how much of a difference a few ounces can make on the belt.

Also interesting to hear that alloy 5” .45s are still noticeably harsher than steel ones. And I already know from experience that there’s a lot of difference between a Government and a Combat Commander in .45.

Not a practical contribution, more of rant. This is one of those areas where 1911 makers has sat on their traditionalist asses without any effort to innovate. I have two 5 inch all steel 1911s that weigh 32 and 35 oz respectively. As easy to carry as alloy, durable because steel (and yes, kick a bit more than full weight 1911). Extra weight was removed by hand by a custom builder and not all of that can be replicated in mass production but I can't believe that most of can't be done by modern machines.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

If I could only have one gun it would be a .45 LWC. If I could have a second it would be a .45 CCO. I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through lightweight guns and have not experienced durability issues. Lightweight commanders are quicker to the first shot, which to me is the most important performance metric, on a timer. Lightweights pull the belt down less at 3:00 and roll out less aiwb. I have shot several high round count courses with lightweight.45s and have not suffered much.

I really like lightweight commanders.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I spent roughly 13 years carrying steel framed 1911's, starting long before you could find every model in a LW frame and/or 9mm. The weight of steel framed 1911's might not bother you up front, but it will catch up with you.

Steel frame Govt 45 in timeless OWB leather for BBQ's and bragging rights. For everything else, a LW Commander or CCO, preferably in 9mm.

Father Time has already caught me when it comes to carrying 40oz guns all day. I'm in the plastic gun + RDS (+Unity Clutch or HPG belt pack) camp these days.
    Last edited by StraitR; 11-12-2021 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I’ve heard good things. I want one. Anymore info.
    Own a pair but have not seen one in the market anywhere, gunbroker or otherwise, for well over a year. I think it is an item that they produce a batch every once in a while, but not a regular flow of production, like apparently all RRA 1911's now are not a constant stream of production. There were a couple at an LGS summer of 2020 and a bunch of new ones on Gunbroker in the spring and summer of 2020. I don't think I have seen one for sale since.

Shoots more like a full steel frame but carries more like a lightweight aluminum frame is my best description. A bit thick but the JMCK's made for the railed Springfield frames fit it just fine. The factory grip is sorta thick and felt to me like a 2011, but I had my gunsmith reduce the molded in grip bushings to take thin 1911 grips that that was just right for me. Front sight is a proprietary dovetail, rear is a novak cut. Only flaw both of mine had was the factory extractor. First one came to me used from a member here and ran great for about 1500 rounds, then some problems, I measured extractor tension and it had dropped from about 35oz new to about 12, I bent it back once (with the tool) to 30+ but it fell again. The other gun came to me factory new and was measured at only 6 oz tension! I just went ahead and replaced both with Wilson bulletproofs and all my troubles ended.

Shot one in single stack division at a local club match this summer and did not feel the least bit handicapped managing the recoil. I love my lightweight commander and my full size alloy frame DW Vigil, but these are much easier to shoot in the department of shot to shot recoil management. I am guessing a lot of that is the poly frame.
    Name:  rra 1911s.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  37.1 KB
    Last edited by fatdog; 11-13-2021 at 10:09 AM.

I find when carrying aiwb that an inch off the muzzle makes a bigger difference then frame material.

With the ramped barrel and a modern heat treated frame I'm really not to concerned about my lw champion being any less rugged than a steel gun.

Carrying iwb or owb I really don't notice a difference.

If I was going to help someone find their next carry gun I'd first ask if it is going to be carried aiwb. If so then commander/champion. After that let's go shopping and see what you like.Name:  IMG_20211002_140857.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  22.9 KB

I like steel frames because too many reloads destroyed the magazine well opening on a Colt "Lightweight Commander Stainless" that I carried in the late 1990s. I also like not having to be concerned with magazine types or barrel ramps as is necessary with alloy frames. If I would get another alloy frame, it would have a steel magazine well and a ramped barrel or steel frame insert.

A 5" steel frame 1911 with 8+1 of 230 JHP is tolerable in a JMCK 2.0 for 16+ hours a day AIWB for me but I find a STI STACCATO C singlestack 9mm to be more perfect for AIWB carry in all seasons. It doesn't have the drama associated with double stack STI's , has a polymer grip, alloy frame, ramped barrel and decent quality to cost ratio, just wish the factory had them stippled by extreme shooters from the get go....
    Skinner Precision LLC official Account
    07 Manufacturer specializing in Competition Rifles

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Own a pair but have not seen one in the market anywhere, gunbroker or otherwise, for well over a year. I think it is an item that they produce a batch every once in a while, but not a regular flow of production, like apparently all RRA 1911's now are not a constant stream of production. There were a couple at an LGS summer of 2020 and a bunch of new ones on Gunbroker in the spring and summer of 2020. I don't think I have seen one for sale since.

Shoots more like a full steel frame but carries more like a lightweight aluminum frame is my best description. A bit thick but the JMCK's made for the railed Springfield frames fit it just fine. The factory grip is sorta thick and felt to me like a 2011, but I had my gunsmith reduce the molded in grip bushings to take thin 1911 grips that that was just right for me. Front sight is a proprietary dovetail, rear is a novak cut. Only flaw both of mine had was the factory extractor. First one came to me used from a member here and ran great for about 1500 rounds, then some problems, I measured extractor tension and it had dropped from about 35oz new to about 12, I bent it back once (with the tool) to 30+ but it fell again. The other gun came to me factory new and was measured at only 6 oz tension! I just went ahead and replaced both with Wilson bulletproofs and all my troubles ended.

Shot one in single stack division at a local club match this summer and did not feel the least bit handicapped managing the recoil. I love my lightweight commander and my full size alloy frame DW Vigil, but these are much easier to shoot in the department of shot to shot recoil management. I am guessing a lot of that is the poly frame.
    Name:  rra 1911s.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  37.1 KB
    good info. Thanks

User Tag List