52 71.23%
  • It must be alloy or polymer framed

9 12.33%
  • It must be steel framed

11 15.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Required features for *your* carry revolver

As noted in other threads I have been wrestling with this issue for several years. I started out comparison testing 3 revolvers: Smith 640Pro, Colt Cobra 2017, and an SP 101 WC 2.25", I later added a Kimber K6s after I sold the Ruger as it had undersized chamber mouths and all 357 loads showed obvious signs of "high pressure" flattened primers, puddling primers and lousy accuracy with lead bullets. The gun was sent back to Ruger and they didn't fix it. I sold it to a friend who buys "guns that are neat" and hangs them on a wall, this SP I'm referring to has been on that wall over 4 years.

I love the 6th round and the actions on the Kimber and Colt, both outshine S&W easily. What I didn't like about the 640 was the sights and the trigger. The sights were all over the place POI with different or similar bullet weights. They appeared to be regulated for 158 357s.

To cut to the chase I now carry a Colt Night Cobra and it shoots to point of aim with several loads, I love the grip, only downside is the NS needs to be brighter. I just purchased a 3" Colt King Cobra 357 and I'm really enjoying this firearm. 357s are very tolerable but the ideal load for me is the Buffalo Bore 158LSWCHP +P round for serious self protection against predatory humans. I wear the gun in a simply rugged 3 inch rig, their Sourdough model. I use the HKS D frame speedloaders with a 6 round cartridge pouch on the belt. I h ave put a little over 1,000 rounds through these Colt's with no sign of wear and they are both very accurate and shoot to point of aim! The front sight on the KC is fast to pickup and the gun shoots to the sights, and this includes 125 magnums to 158grain BB +P 38s. Vz grips on both and pondering putting the brass bead sight on the NC if they are in stock.

After six years of testing, appraising, handling and shooting of Smith, Ruger, Kimber and Colt's my FIRST choice is Colt. This is ironic as my second issued revolver was a Python and I hated it. I was a dyed in the wool Smith man for years and still own more than my share.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I got you fam: "the majority of PF would be happy with a k-frame gun with a capacity of 6 or 7 with a barrel length of 3 inches in caliber 38 Sp or 32 Magnum, with a DA hammer, good trigger, and good sights"
    A 3” version of my S&W 619 would be very close to my holy grail carry revolver. It’s too bad they never made one.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    A 3” version of my S&W 619 would be very close to my holy grail carry revolver. It’s too bad they never made one.
    Sometimes you have to wonder if they don't make a certain model simply because if they did, nobody would want or need their other stuff.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    My opinion, for what it is worth:

Must have sights that are visible in a wide variety of lighting conditions that shoot to the point of aim. I do not care if they are fixed or adjustable if they meet that requirement. However, any sight component containing tritium (which I do prefer) should be easily replaceable and readily available for purchase when replacement is needed.

Must have a decent trigger pull.

A bobbed or concealed hammer is very desirable, and in some instances a requirement.

Appropriately sized and shaped grips for the purpose, with a speedloader cut, are very important. Ample grip options help. I have found that the grip is almost invariably the hardest part of a revolver to conceal.

Good aftermarket support such as holsters is very important.

I think 6 rounds is the correct capacity for IWB carry, but I would likely want 5 for pocket carry.

For IWB carry, 2-3 inches is fine. I have not carried a 4" revolver, so I cannot comment on that. For pocket or ankle carry, 2" is mandatory.

Fro IWB carry, a steel frame is fine and likely preferred. For pocket or ankle carry, an alloy or polymer frame is preferred.

As others pointed out, much depends on the circumstances of carry.

My "perfect" carry gun doesn't really meet any of those requirements, but it's something that could be created if Ruger would just lift the cease and desist and let me sneak into the factory at night. All I want is a DAO 3-inch LCR in 327 Federal, is that too much to ask?

Since we are on to the opinion portion of this thread, I’ll weigh in by noting that I have, or have had, pretty much everything under discussion: SPs and GPs; and many K frames (including the 12); j-frames of all stripes; LCRs; all the new DS-ish Colts (including night and king cobras) Kimber K6; Manurhin MR88… Speed Six… I’m sure I’m forgetting some things.

Right now, the one revolver that is outside of the safe is my 640 pro, for reasons noted by other 640 pro fans, above.

I am also fond of the LCR for a “not carrying a gun” gun; 3” J-frames for better sights, ejection rods, and ballistics, and a 4” 66-1 for woods bumming. And, of course, all those guns split around my 65-3 3” RB—which would be the “only” gun, if not for all those other guns that beat it out for each niche that it also does well, as a “do everything well” gun. Ironic, that the 65-3 never sees time outside the safe, considering it’s rep as a “one gun.” (Sort of like folks who have a G26 and a G17 and don’t need a G19, vs people that have nothing, and really need to get a G19…)

Lastly, I’m in that group that really wants a 6-round, 3” scaled-up LCR. Simple, really. Get after it, Ruger.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 11-12-2021 at 03:06 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

You guys can box up those unwanted 642's, 442's and 340's and ship 'em to me. I'll be a sport and pick up the freight.

At least I won't have to buy new holsters.

(I will admit I'm curious about the Ruger in .327, but your donations should hold me for a while.)

Thank you in advance.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    (I will admit I'm curious about the Ruger in .327, but your donations should hold me for a while.)

Thank you in advance.
    So far, the 2 inch version I have is absolutely my favorite carry gun ever. It's everything I already liked about LCRs but with one more round.

Kinda surprised at the interest in .32 mags.

Does it have a track record in the real world?

User Tag List