• It must be alloy or polymer framed

9 12.33%
  • It must be steel framed

11 15.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Required features for *your* carry revolver

Required features for *your* carry revolver

I am interested in the collective knowledge of PF and the decision tree that goes into selecting a revolver for primary concealed carry purposes.

My goal is to post a poll with features present in revolvers, and folks can select the answers that apply to them. With enough responses, I'd like to be able to narrow down a feature set (or list of specific models) that fit most people. I think this would be valuable to compare my own revolvers to, but also a place that may be a good reference for folks considering a carry revolver and confused on where to start.

For the purposes of this poll, I'd like you to select features you would require to carry a revolver as your primary CCW gun while out in public - IE, not just the ultralight underwear gun you own only for lounging in your robe at home.

The wording “must” is too restrictive. As well, options for a tuned trigger, or a specific trigger pull weight, or DAO might be useful.
    As is, I can think of exceptions to each of the current poll categories. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    The wording “must” is too restrictive. As well, options for a tuned trigger, or a specific trigger pull weight, or DAO might be useful.
    As is, I can think of exceptions to each of the current poll categories. JMO.
    My hope was that if "must" backed you into a corner you just would not make a selection on that topic. My goal isn't to narrow this down to "the" carry model, but to something like "The majority of PF would be happy with a ___ frame gun with a capacity of ___ with a barrel length around ___ in caliber(s) ___ and the options currently being produced include these models."

I meant to include an option for DAO or traditional hammer but can't figure out how to edit the poll. I know this isn't perfect, but I'm trying to find a range of common choices and not just the most popular make or model.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I think most of us would like something in the size group of
    • Colt D frame
    • Kimber K6
    • Taurus 856

Smaller and lighter than a K frame, but more shootable than a J frame. Or maybe as shootable as a J frame with larger grips.

It needs to hold six rounds of .38 Special. Pretty much anyone here would be fine with +P SPL. That's another thing: The Cleti who need to buy a bunch of them to make the economics work won't want it enough if it can't chamber .357. If they are to be satisfied, useful design parameters for size and weight are threatened.

DAO and spurless/internal hammer.

Barrel from 2-3 inches.

Good sights with some degree of adjustability, but less snaggy than an S&W or Ruger standard adjustable sight. Like a dovetailed or similar rear that's windage-adjustable, maybe even like the adjustable-height Novak rear. Interchangeable front sight. Aftermarket sight options.

The problem with the three guns mentioned is that reasonable people have reason to suspect all of them for long-term durability/reliability. Alternate-universe scenarios that have been discussed previously include:
    • Ruger un-f-ing its QC and upsizing either the LCR or SP101 just enough to make it a six-shooter, and no more. I would advocate for applying the LCR trigger concept to the SP106 if they did that.
    • S&W un-f-ing its QC and upsizing the J frame just enough to make it a six-shooter, and no more. Very much like Taurus did with the 856.

Personally, I had a three-inch K frame. Got a really nice holster and quickly figured out that it was just too big and bulky to really conceal well on my body. I'm better off with a compact semi. So if I was to go with a revolver for primary, it would have to be smaller. But none of the available options are satisfactory. So the J frame covers J frame stuff, and semis are for when I can carry more. The GP can get carried in places where a guy with graying, receding hair can get away with carrying it at 3:00 in a leather holster on the outside of his clothes.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I think most of us would like something in the size group of
    • Colt D frame
    • Kimber K6
    • Taurus 856

Smaller and lighter than a K frame, but more shootable than a J frame. Or maybe as shootable as a J frame with larger grips.

It needs to hold six rounds of .38 Special. Pretty much anyone here would be fine with +P SPL. That's another thing: The Cleti who need to buy a bunch of them to make the economics work won't want it enough if it can't chamber .357. If they are to be satisfied, useful design parameters for size and weight are threatened.

DAO and spurless/internal hammer.

Barrel from 2-3 inches.

Good sights with some degree of adjustability, but less snaggy than an S&W or Ruger standard adjustable sight. Like a dovetailed or similar rear that's windage-adjustable, maybe even like the adjustable-height Novak rear. Interchangeable front sight. Aftermarket sight options.

The problem with the three guns mentioned is that reasonable people have reason to suspect all of them for long-term durability/reliability. Alternate-universe scenarios that have been discussed previously include:
    • Ruger un-f-ing its QC and upsizing either the LCR or SP101 just enough to make it a six-shooter, and no more. I would advocate for applying the LCR trigger concept to the SP106 if they did that.
    • S&W un-f-ing its QC and upsizing the J frame just enough to make it a six-shooter, and no more. Very much like Taurus did with the 856.

Personally, I had a three-inch K frame. Got a really nice holster and quickly figured out that it was just too big and bulky to really conceal well on my body. I'm better off with a compact semi. So if I was to go with a revolver for primary, it would have to be smaller. But none of the available options are satisfactory. So the J frame covers J frame stuff, and semis are for when I can carry more. The GP can get carried in places where a guy with graying, receding hair can get away with carrying it at 3:00 in a leather holster on the outside of his clothes.
    Agree with a lot of this.

Because I'm in a smaller town these days, I could get away with a 3-inch K-frame but am not buying a new S&W, not with their current QC.

Of my newer revolvers, the closest is the 3-inch Colt simply because there are no really glaring QC screw ups on this particular example, and because I haven't had to change a single thing out of the box to make it run. The size and weight are perfect, it holds six rounds, wish the sights were a little better. Whenever I can consistently get primers again, I'm tempted to run the hell out of it and see how it holds up.

One caveat is that I'm a little atypical and I really need two different revolvers: Something bigger and with magnum or big bore capability for the woods, and something smaller for in town and 38 +p is fine for the latter.

I voted, but really the only true “must” for me wasn’t on the poll. My #1 requirement is DAO operation with either spurless or internal hammer.

I went ahead and selected must be 38 caliber or above because I am extremely unlikely to carry a revolver below that caliber threshold. It could happen, but it probably won’t.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The GP can get carried in places where a guy with graying, receding hair can get away with carrying it at 3:00 in a leather holster on the outside of his clothes.
    I am hoping to retire and relocate soon so I can be this guy (without the receding fur). Not sure if I am gonna make it, but it'll be sweet if I can.

I happen to think six shots should be the baseline in a wheelie, and I do not like the wear/tear issues I have seen for myself on alloy and polymer frames. A scaled up slightly, 6-shot, 3" SP101 for .38 Spl +P, having "Novak-style" sights along with a more factory-friendly attitude towards supplying a spurless DAO hammer would go a long way to being just about right for a lot of people like myself, but the "perfect" would be the enemy of the "just about right" and I have no doubt that some experts and influencers would condemn it to an early death.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    I am interested in the collective knowledge of PF and the decision tree that goes into selecting a revolver for primary concealed carry purposes.

My goal is to post a poll with features present in revolvers, and folks can select the answers that apply to them. With enough responses, I'd like to be able to narrow down a feature set (or list of specific models) that fit most people. I think this would be valuable to compare my own revolvers to, but also a place that may be a good reference for folks considering a carry revolver and confused on where to start.

For the purposes of this poll, I'd like you to select features you would require to carry a revolver as your primary CCW gun while out in public - IE, not just the ultralight underwear gun you own only for lounging in your robe at home.
    That might be like asking “what shoes would you choose to wear in public?”

It’s going to highly be dependent on personal preference and context.

Most of the time when I carry a revolver in public as my only gun:

It’s a 1” NAA Pug in a pocket.

When my daughter was little, I diaper bag carried a 2” eight shot scandium N frame (Model 327PC) with 135gr short barrel Gold Dot 357 magnums.

These days I’d be fine carry a Ruger LCR9 (5 shot, 2” in 9mm) or a Night Guard (8 shot, 2.5” converted to 9mm) with 124gr Gold Dots.

Or maybe pocket carry a J frame.

But my environment is decidedly low threat.

I would probably carry a 3” 686 (7-shot 357 magnum) with a red dot if there was even a chance I would need it.

I would be very interested in an alloy 6 shot hammerless or bobbed j-frame size for pocket carry. My 642 is on me all the time and if I’m doing highway travel, is augmented by a 15 shot 9mm. For hiking it’s either a M-28 in .357 or a 1950 in .44 spl.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post

Might want to (if possible) add "spurred hammer, bobbed hammer or enclosed hammer" to your poll.

User Tag List