Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Blackhawk Convertible: any drawbacks?

Site Supporter

Ruger Blackhawk Convertible: any drawbacks?

I decided I want a Blackhawk, but I was wondering if there is any downside to the convertible versions vs the standard ones, other than price. Here are the two I’m looking at:

https://ruger.com/products/newModelB...eets/0309.html

https://ruger.com/products/newModelB...eets/5245.html

Thanks in advance.

Jason

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Search to make sure I'm not full of it, but the groove diameter is probably sized for .357 bullets. Accuracy at longer ranges may not be as good with .355 bullets. You could overcome that by loading 9mm cases with .356 or .357 bullets, but that's a possible hazard for your 9mm pistols and you might as well just load .357 cases the way you want.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Search to make sure I'm not full of it, but the groove diameter is probably sized for .357 bullets. Accuracy at longer ranges may not be as good with .355 bullets. You could overcome that by loading 9mm cases with .356 or .357 bullets, but that's a possible hazard for your 9mm pistols and you might as well just load .357 cases the way you want.
    So possibly lower accuracy for 9mm, but unchanged for .357? That doesn't sound like too bad a deal for something purchased for .357 primarily, with 9mm as a backup function. So I guess that the .45Colt/.45ACP convertibles would have the same *possible* issue using strictly factory ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    So possibly lower accuracy for 9mm, but unchanged for .357? That doesn't sound like too bad a deal for something purchased for .357 primarily, with 9mm as a backup function. So I guess that the .45Colt/.45ACP convertibles would have the same *possible* issue using strictly factory ammo?
    .45 Colt and .45 Auto are both .451 bullets for jacketed and typically .452 for unjacketed, though slugging the bore may suggest a slight change to better match it for best accuracy and least leading.

Oh, yeah. Shooting undersized non-jacketed bullets will lead up a revolver PDQ.
    Not another dime.

For some reason, the .45 Colt Rugers seem to be the ones most likely to have issues with the sizing of the throats in the cylinder. I do not know how that applies to convertibles in .45 Colt/.45 ACP.

I have a .357/9mm convertible, and so far, have only shot .357/.38 in it, so I cant speak to accuracy with 9mm, but it shoots both revolver cartridges just fine.

ETA: Mine is the 5.5" version of your second link... The "Flattop" models are a slightly smaller grip frame than the non-flat top models (your top link), FYI. I believe its the "Vaquero" sized frame. This probably only matters if you have huge paws.

Cast Boolits website

I have the Ruger 0472 Stainless New Model Blackhawk Convertible revolver in 45 acp/45 Colt 5.5" barrel. To be honest I bought this revolver to have the ability to shoot two different calibers from the same platform. Would be handy to have a lever action rifle in 45 Colt with a like caliber revolver. Plus ammo availability figured into my decision as well. An ACP in a 1911 and a Blackhawk offers flexibility too.

Cylinder throat diameter can affect accuracy. I sent my two cylinders to DougGuy on the Cast Boolits website. He gets great reviews for his firearms work. I didn't shoot the Ruger for accuracy before/after the work he did on the cylinders so I don't have that data. He reamed the cylinders in both. I thought his prices were very reasonable. I joined the group, sent him a message, and he sent all the info I needed to send the cylinders to him. I think turn around time was about 3 weeks.

https://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...inder-throats&

DougGuy posts on second link.

Anyone seriously thinking about getting into Ruger single actions should rabbit-hole this thread:

https://singleactions.proboards.com/...s-ronnie-wells
    Not another dime.

I read an article on Ruger single actions and the many frames sizes/names they have used over the decades. By the time I finished, my eyeballs were looking at each other, and my eyebrows were touching. Lots of good info, but man, lots of knowledge to digest. Good link OlongJohnson!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I read an article on Ruger single actions and the many frames sizes/names they have used over the decades. By the time I finished, my eyeballs were looking at each other, and my eyebrows were touching. Lots of good info, but man, lots of knowledge to digest. Good link OlongJohnson!!
    There's an excellent article on Ruger grip frame history at https://gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm. The diagram at the bottom of the page clears up a lot of confusion with regard to the actual shapes. I grabbed it for my desktop but can't publish it here due to copyright issues.

Long story short, if you disregard the birdshead and Bisley, then the other variants are far more similar than they are different. The real issue, in my experience, is less about the grip frame than it is about the grips themselves.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

@okie john

That's one of the articles I read! Great minds think alike. Lots of good info there.

User Tag List