Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Arny 9mm pistol ammo and federal Syntech Defense 9mm Luger

Question Red Arny 9mm pistol ammo and federal Syntech Defense 9mm Luger

Federal:

Syntech Defense 9mm Luger ( may be different than the old ones I have)

I found some of this blue tipped 9mm ammo looking through some boxes in my garage. They are from about 2002.
    Can I still use these. I would try a few test shots to see if they fire ok.

Red Army:

I bought some of this target ammo. I was told that the case was steel. At the range they told me I cant use them for a few reasons including
    that the bullet (projectile) was also steel.
    I read somewhere that steel bullets may be illegal since they may be called armor piercing. I am not in California.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Syntech is good ammo, shoot it. Ammo really doesn’t go bad unless it is stored under extreme conditions.

Most steel cased ammo also have steel alloy jacketed bullets. Many ranges do not allow them due to the spark hazard of the bullet. The jacketing is considered soft enough and just a jacket over a lead core and thus is not considered AP (but don’t give Newsom any ideas).

Quote Originally Posted by travistee View Post
    Federal:

I found some of this blue tipped 9mm ammo looking through some boxes in my garage. They are from about 2002.

Red Army:

I bought some of this target ammo. I was told that the case was steel. At the range they told me I cant use them for a few reasons including
    that the bullet (projectile) was also steel.
    I read somewhere that steel bullets may be illegal since they may be called armor piercing. I am not in California.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks
    The bullets are not steel. Only the jacket covering the lead bullet is steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Syntech is good ammo, shoot it. Ammo really doesn’t go bad unless it is stored under extreme conditions.

They were stored in an unheated garage in the North East.
    Does that sound like a problem?

I'll try a few as a sample to see what they do.

They're not armor piercing. There's no steel/tungsten core. It's just a steel alloy over lead. Same as the brass.

Every range is different and many ban the ammo due to misinformation or financial reasons. All the ranges here allow the use of whatever you want.

Ammo storage is not a problem as long as they weren't swimming. Heat or cold is not really a problem unless you have wild fluctuations. Today -40 tomorrow 98!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    They were stored in an unheated garage in the North East.
    Does that sound like a problem?

I'll try a few as a sample to see what they do.
    They will be fine.

Unfortunately commercial ammo has only a 10 year shelf life unless stored In climate controlled conditions, so the Syntech will need to be disposed of.

Yes, those steel casings and jackets do indeed imbue those 9mm bullets with armour piercing properties, roughly similar to the old .30-06 M2 cartridge.

Luckily for you I am willing to properly dispose of this no good ammunition for you. I will even cover the shipping because I am such a kindhearted soul. Just pm me your paypal and I will let you know my shipping address.

Travesty - I think Timmy was kidding. I hope.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Federal:

Thanks
    If the entire projectile has a dark blue synthetic coating and from y2K-ish and the headstamp is Federal, that is probably one of the old Nyclad loads. Might have some minor value to ammo collectors. They have been out of production for quite a while.

If just the very tip of the projectile is painted a light blue and the rest of it has a normal copper jacket, those might be some of the old IMI subsonic 158 grain loads.

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    If the entire projectile has a dark blue synthetic coating and from y2K-ish and the headstamp is Federal, that is probably one of the old Nyclad loads. Might have some minor value to ammo collectors. They have been out of production for quite a while.

If just the very tip of the projectile is painted a light blue and the rest of it has a normal copper jacket, those might be some of the old IMI subsonic 158 grain loads.
    This is the pics of them.Name:  nicad-bullets-small.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  16.0 KB

User Tag List