Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Excellent DB, Cecil, Haggard (etc.) Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post

I'm not advocating either or. I just want to explore these seemingly two opposing thoughts and find a balance somewhere. I hope this made sense. I have the utmost respect for the panel and this is not a criticism in any way. I'm probably just missing something obvious to be honest.

I am not taking it as some kind of criticism at all.

I think you are misunderstanding that we are trying to push a narrative that snubs in an NPE are more likely to be useful, than carrying a full size gun with a reload when you can dress in any manner. The point I was making - and not to speak for him but what I think Darryl was saying as well - was what I said in my opening statement when I got on the podcast (and I was NOT LATE BTW, they started earlier than we said we would!) that you need to think about your context and truly examine what scenarios you as an individual may face. The point I made in my earlier writing was that there is no such thing as "typical" because we are different, and our contexts are different. Even in LE alone, the type of gunfight a SWAT cop would face is going to be intrinsically different than what a lone patrol officer in a sparsely populated area will face. And what I may most plausibly experience as someone who spends a lot of time in a car driving for hours at a time will look far different than what someone who lives in a densely populated and congested urban zone like the middle of NYC will encounter.

As Darryl said, if you expect a violent encounter to look/feel like a specific way, and it is not that way, it could be a disaster. So don't accept that there is something typical, and instead think about your reality. Prepare, train, and gear up to what fits you. If running a Roland Special fits you, than rock on! But if it does not, then don't feel bad and think you need to mold yourself into what someone else, who die snot live your life and has no conception of what you experience, tell you what you should do.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

deleted...

...carry on.
    Last edited by blues; 11-12-2021 at 07:29 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I am not taking it as some kind of criticism at all.

I think you are misunderstanding that we are trying to push a narrative that snubs in an NPE are more likely to be useful, than carrying a full size gun with a reload when you can dress in any manner. The point I was making - and not to speak for him but what I think Darryl was saying as well - was what I said in my opening statement when I got on the podcast (and I was NOT LATE BTW, they started earlier than we said we would!) that you need to think about your context and truly examine what scenarios you as an individual may face. The point I made in my earlier writing was that there is no such thing as "typical" because we are different, and our contexts are different. Even in LE alone, the type of gunfight a SWAT cop would face is going to be intrinsically different than what a lone patrol officer in a sparsely populated area will face. And what I may most plausibly experience as someone who spends a lot of time in a car driving for hours at a time will look far different than what someone who lives in a densely populated and congested urban zone like the middle of NYC will encounter.

As Darryl said, if you expect a violent encounter to look/feel like a specific way, and it is not that way, it could be a disaster. So don't accept that there is something typical, and instead think about your reality. Prepare, train, and gear up to what fits you. If running a Roland Special fits you, than rock on! But if it does not, then don't feel bad and think you need to mold yourself into what someone else, who die snot live your life and has no conception of what you experience, tell you what you should do.
    I apologize for the thread drift as I find the discussion very interesting but the highlighted typo above made chuckle.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I apologize for the thread drift as I find the discussion very interesting but the highlighted typo above made chuckle.
    Cecil’s P-F Covfefe moment.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

At least for me, podcasts like these serve as a reality check for my own thinking. I'm happy to say that since I began hanging out on P-F many moons ago, my thinking is falling more inline with what the SMEs are advocating (perhaps there really is hope for the hopeless).

My attention was really grabbed when Chris mentioned his hand held light. Yes, a light serves to help PID a threat and what they might have in their hand. I nodded in agreement when he stated that if someone continues to advance with a bright light in their face, it's a pretty good indication that trouble is brewing.

What I would be very interested in exploring is the integration of intense photonic barriers (using powerful, high-candela lights like the Modlite OKW or PLHV2, Malkoff E2XT series, etc.) in MUC training. It seems to me that such a light could be put to good use, especially using the light to disorient and induce temporary vision impairment in low-light environments: illuminate the UC's face, then light off to begin evasion. If the threat persists, the next illumination event might be accompanied with a stream of OC (which the UC would never see coming due to the photonic barrier), then light off and continue evasion.

The use of intense light for self-defense - beyond illuminating dark areas or for PID purposes - is a topic I look forward to being discussed. Having attended Craig's MUC training, I'd be a willing participant to see just how effective an intense beam of light might be in dealing with UCs and escaping from them.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post

What I would be very interested in exploring is the integration of intense photonic barriers (using powerful, high-candela lights like the Modlite OKW or PLHV2, Malkoff E2XT series, etc.) in MUC training. It seems to me that such a light could be put to good use, especially using the light to disorient and induce temporary vision impairment in low-light environments: illuminate the UC's face, then light off to begin evasion. If the threat persists, the next illumination event might be accompanied with a stream of OC (which the UC would never see coming due to the photonic barrier), then light off and continue evasion.

The use of intense light for self-defense - beyond illuminating dark areas or for PID purposes - is a topic I look forward to being discussed. Having attended Craig's MUC training, I'd be a willing participant to see just how effective an intense beam of light might be in dealing with UCs and escaping from them.
    I have it on authority that this is indeed a thing in certain training circles. Back to @Cecil Burch, since I believe he and one of his buddies, Glen Stilson, have taught on this very topic.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

While I have Youtube downloader fetching the audio from the linked video, can someone please whisper in Landfair's ear? Take a slice of donations, buy an inexpensive USB microphone to have drop-shipped to a regular guest, and e-mail a short primer on clap-testing their room.

I've tried getting people to listen to several episodes and the audio quality of guests has been a hang-up with 100% of them in a range of listening environments. P&S has a lot of good material and it could be made more accessible for a modest financial investment in production. Production value goes up, a recurring guest is more more comprehensible going forward, and the guest gets a nice gift to use on other appearances and would appreciate it.

I realize this sounds like kvetching but is meant to be positive. The material really deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    While I have Youtube downloader fetching the audio from the linked video,
    ...or you could just listen to the podcast version.

https://overcast.fm/+XhSBGNY9g
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    ...or you could just listen to the podcast version.

https://overcast.fm/+XhSBGNY9g
    It was easier to just copy the link and jam it into a terminal command to run in the background than go digging. Thanks for the link, though! The RSS feed at the bottom is now in my reader on the line below your podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    While I have Youtube downloader fetching the audio from the linked video, can someone please whisper in Landfair's ear? Take a slice of donations, buy an inexpensive USB microphone to have drop-shipped to a regular guest, and e-mail a short primer on clap-testing their room.

I've tried getting people to listen to several episodes and the audio quality of guests has been a hang-up with 100% of them in a range of listening environments. P&S has a lot of good material and it could be made more accessible for a modest financial investment in production. Production value goes up, a recurring guest is more more comprehensible going forward, and the guest gets a nice gift to use on other appearances and would appreciate it.

I realize this sounds like kvetching but is meant to be positive. The material really deserves it.
    Agreed, on all counts. The sound quality and production is shit—I get more polished projects shot to my inbox by high school musicians—but the guests and conversations are typically quite good, and are deserving of better tech and delivery.

User Tag List