Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.62x35R (300 BO Rimmed) project

On Friday I am going to take some to the range and see what happens. If these don't work I will pick up a few of those .32 ACP bullets and see how they shoot.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The one I linked isn't for .32 ACP. That would be .312.

It's .309 for 7.62×25 Tokarev.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

What is the purpose of this round? The 300 Whisper (later rebranded BLK ) works well in T/C guns...

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    What is the purpose of this round? The 300 Whisper (later rebranded BLK ) works well in T/C guns...
    Because Contenders should have rimmed cartridges. In reality it was, like almost all wildcats nowadays, just because I could. When started this project I was working crazy hours and my schedule was weird so I couldn't get to the range very often. I used this project (and my .416 Howell project) to have some "gun things" to do when I was awake and the wife and kid was asleep.

I even have some 221 Fireball brass that I necked up to 300 Whisper.

A project that I haven't tackled is my .221 Fireball Rimmed. I have a 10 inch Bullberry Barrel for that. The forming process for the 221 is much more difficult than the 7.62x35R.

Name:  PXL_20211111_161506420.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  94.1 KB

Totally impractical, but it should be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Post a picture of the Martini Cadet. I regret not buying a Cadet at the gun show in Tampa. It was in .218 Bee.
    I’ll have to dig through the magic box at home, I’m not sure I’ve actually got pictures of it. It’s rough. The original barrel was bored and rechambered to .357, the barrel has been poorly d&t for multiple mounts (that I’ve never been able to figure out) and the receiver has been poorly d&t for some kind of side mount.

I discussed sending it out for a rehab and spa day 10-12 years ago but the only ‘smith willing to do the work quoted over $1K just based on my description.

A Martini Bee is on my list of rifles to buy if I ever hit the lottery.

@OlongJohnson almost has me convinced I need one of those Scouts. I’ve been hesitant because “it’s not a Contender” but if it’s acceptable to him, I consider that high praise.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    @OlongJohnson almost has me convinced I need one of those Scouts. I’ve been hesitant because “it’s not a Contender” but if it’s acceptable to him, I consider that high praise.
    Did anybody suggest I don't have plans to rework it to improve the finish?

It is not pretty. Hard square edges on the receiver and trigger guard, fairly heavily grit blasted. Mechanically, it appears to be functional, requiring nothing to work right. I might polish the locking bits to see if I can make them smoother, but that doesn't seem to be necessary. The trigger is crisp and not too heavy. So all the prettying up I'm going to do is just to make it feel better in the hands. But functionally, I'd call it GTG. I did buy a Warne rail because I don't like the one it comes with as well.

It's no 1873. Not even a No. 1. But for <$350 shipped, it doesn't need to be.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Did anybody suggest I don't have plans to rework it to improve the finish?
    No, but I figure if you’re willing to put some time and effort into one then it’s not a complete pile of crap.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I took the rifle out to the range and shot it with with the 110 subs.

I have to say that the rifle gods must have blessed this set up. I put the first round dead center on the bullseye (at 50 yards) and stacked 9 more shots right on top of the first.

The old guys who were the ROs for the range just about giggled themselves to death with how quiet it was. It is funny, one of the ROs said the same thing I did "This is quieter than shooting subs from a .22 LR".

I am ready to test it on the yard coyotes now!

User Tag List