Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ameriglo RDS

I already have more dots than I do guns to put them on. Who wants to be a test dummy for this one?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

The thing that immediately popped in my mind is that Trijicon owns Ameriglo last I heard. Is Trijicon thinking about attacking Holosun's price point through Ameriglo while maintaining the aura of eliteness with the RMR?

Going to order one and throw it on a Canik TP9SFX I plan to use in competitions. It may not get a ton of rounds on it, as I’ll mainly be focused on rimfire pistol and rifle in steel challenge this year, but I’ll definitely report back what I learn. My suspicion is that it’s essentially a budget Trijicon product and will probably run pretty reliably, but we’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    The thing that immediately popped in my mind is that Trijicon owns Ameriglo last I heard. Is Trijicon thinking about attacking Holosun's price point through Ameriglo while maintaining the aura of eliteness with the RMR?
    Interesting thought. Trijicon does indeed control Ameriglo. The Haven is made in the Philippines, I believe. I am also in the boat of having more optics than guns so I won't be rushing out to get one, but it would be nice to see one really tested.

It just showed up on Dvor for $285, so it looks like street will be $300 and under. If it's durable, the made in the Philippines aspect is kind of hard for us to ignore since Holosun's Chinese origins are always in the back of our mind even if we made peace with it and buy them anyway.
    https://www.dvor.com/ameriglo-haven-...-41-2022-03-09

I checked with Dave Spaulding before I bought mine. No problems on his end after multiple classes over multiple days. Couple of friends I shoot with have not had any problems with theirs. I've shot 3 matches and multiple training rounds and very satisfied. Glass window and aluminum housing, 5 moa. Caught it on sale at Midway for $214. Certainly would buy again.

Vending Machine Operator
    Just got an email offering a free Ameriglo Haven with purchase of a Walther PDP, now through April 17.

If it's even half decent that's pretty awesome. I might do it.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    I just picked up a used Walther PDP with one of these installed.

Overall I like it. However it has one flaw which will likely lead to me getting rid of it.

It uses PWM (pulse width modulation) as a hack to extend battery life. The problem is at anything but a dim setting. I see a pulsing / flickering effect when viewing the dot due to the refresh rate /mechanism.

I had another experienced red dot shooter look through the optic and they experienced the same pulsing / flickering

The problem is the flicker draws the eye and leads to getting sucked into the dot.

Site Supporter
    Update.

After using this a bit, I like the large window and relatively clear glass but overall this thing sucks. If you are doing anything other than static slow fire shooting the flicker / refresh rate makes this thing painful to use.

Shot the PDP with the Haven yesterday and started having the dot disappear and re-appear under recoil. Turns out the two screws which secure the battery compartment had come loose under recoil after only a few hundred rounds.

Just bought my second Haven. 1st one has at least a thousand rounds through it and just as good as my SRO. 2nd one mounted on a Rival steel. Probably 500 rounds. Yes the battery compartment screw started backing out. Amazing how a screwdriver fixed it. Simple check. Spaulding still uses his and recently showed in on a new 19 he had a few things done. Will check back in after a red dot class with him in a couple of weeks. I know of at least a half dozen more in use. Last one I bought $206 shipped.

User Tag List