Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making Dummy Rounds: What Bullets?

Making Dummy Rounds: What Bullets?

I use dummy rounds in live fire and dry fire. I typically purchase these from Amazon. The bright orange tip is helpful for confirming they're dummies, but they weigh less because of the plastic "bullet" and they're freakin expensive.

I can make a bunch on my XL650 for much less expense. I typically use Bayou or Everglades plated bullets for my live rounds, and I'd prefer a completely different color or shape for the dummies. Any suggestions?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I use dummy rounds in live fire and dry fire. I typically purchase these from Amazon. The bright orange tip is helpful for confirming they're dummies, but they weigh less because of the plastic "bullet" and they're freakin expensive.

I can make a bunch on my XL650 for much less expense. I typically use Bayou or Everglades plated bullets for my live rounds, and I'd prefer a completely different color or shape for the dummies. Any suggestions?
    If the weight of your dummy rounds not being the same weight as your ammo is the prime concern in your training routine, then you are probably in the top 20 of all GM level shooters in the US.

JMO but stick with the Amazon stuff. I've tried making dummy rounds on a reloading press and found that it was not a great plan and it made me no better as a shooter in any way shape or form.

It did however introduce a very realistic looking dummy round that could easily be mistaken for live ammo (or vice versa) by myself and others in my home.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Bayou already makes different colors for their coated bullets.

I made dummies to practice revolver reloads. Without really thinking about it, I painted a red stripe on the brass. That was dumb. Paint does have a little bit of thickness and that made them very sticky to insert, plus the paint wore off quickly. I then just painted the headstamp area red. Combined with the obvious lack of a primer, I figured that was enough to identify them as inert. I never stored them where live ammo could be and never put them in an ammo box. I put them on top of my gun safe in a basket.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The Blue bullets
    Black bullets international
    SNS casting (red)
    DG bullets (green)
    Ibiji heads (can make green, blue, red, and copper colored)

If you don't want to buy another brand just for a handful of weighted rounds, another option is to use a snap cap or one of your orange dummy round as the top most round on the mag.
    I also like to, if the mag will allow, up size the caliber of the dummy round to reduce the chance of them going confetti when I drop the mag.
    I like to do the above in addition to having a dedicated mag with a blue base pad on it (either after market or just rattle canned)
    Last edited by Artemas2; 11-09-2021 at 09:42 PM.

I use these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32335011664...3ABFBMvNHJ_aBf

Name:  3C830D01-5F3C-4461-9050-2B39DD1F2B94.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  31.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    If the weight of your dummy rounds not being the same weight as your ammo is the prime concern in your training routine, then you are probably in the top 20 of all GM level shooters in the US.
    I dunno about that. When I was really pounding sub-second reloads I found it helpful to have my training mags weigh pretty close to my competition mags.

It's my understanding that you generally don't want to reload aluminum cased rounds for live fire. Could you reload them as dummy rounds?
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    It's my understanding that you generally don't want to reload aluminum cased rounds for live fire. Could you reload them as dummy rounds?
    That’s what I do. I save the aluminum cases for a one time reload with no charge or primer so they look substantially different than my live rounds. Also @Mark D if you want to differentiate by bullet color as well, just swap some with a forum member who uses a different bullet than you. Folks are pretty generous and would probably gift you ten or so even. I use a gold color and black color 125 gr.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I dunno about that. When I was really pounding sub-second reloads I found it helpful to have my training mags weigh pretty close to my competition mags.
    But if you were to rate on a scale of 1-10, how much of an effect that had on you becoming a grandmaster though?

Again, I'm just a B class scrub, so for me, there's lower hanging fruit...but at what point does it become super important? There are GMs who practice with those blue guns that have detachable mags and have had top 20 finishes at major matches....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List