Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Big v. Little: The Effect of Pistol Size on Shooting Performance

I carried my 43 in a JM AIWB long, I carry the 26 in a 19 holster. Printing is minimally different on me. Shooting the double stack is a lot better for me. With a 43 my trigger finger wants to go all the way around to go all the way through the trigger guard and drag on my left hand knuckle.

With full power ammo recoil of the 26 is dramatically softer and it tracks with a lot effort for me.

Slow fire accuracy better the two is just about equal though.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

With full power ammo recoil of the 26 is dramatically softer and it tracks with a lot effort for me.
    Good point.

I was going to mention this earlier as well. I noticed too that with defensive ammo, the recoil of the smaller guns increases a lot more versus the bigger guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    YMMV and all that. I think it's up to individual hand size, finger dimension, palm width, grip technique, skill level, practice with the platform, maturity as a shooter, etc. etc.
    This right here.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by CHNEAL View Post

The range and class work just don’t lie. I shoot the G19, I practice with the Slimlines. I sold 5 slimline Glocks, 3 complete OEM upper and lower parts kits. Took the money and put it into two Gen5 G19 MOS with RMR and TLR7. I dress around the gun and ignore the additional discomfort. Shooting good enough just wasn’t good enough for my family’s safety
    For you!!! Clint Smith has a way with words.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWV6ZVApOec/
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I mostly carry my Commanders or Hi Power. I feel dressing around your choice is best.

I've tried a G43, didn't work for me-couldn't hit for crap. I have lots and lots of Glock 22 rounds down range (issue pistol), but I have to work real hard to get it to work for me. I do have a G20 but that's my HD and hiking gun because of full power 10mm-I do better with it than I do with the G22 sized frame, that and I really like my 10 8 performance sights on it. Otherwise I'm not a Glock fan.

The smallest gun that for me has had big gun accuracy and performance was my Walther CCP that I broke down and gave it a whirl when I heard about it. I got the M2 version after watching the mixed reviews for awhile with the original version. LE pricing from Walther direct to my FFL was so reasonably priced I figured I'd risk it. My sample of one has been very reliable and it is very accurate. A little limited with it's 8+1 in 9mm maybe, but I carry a spare mag anyways and try to avoid going to any questionable areas. I got it right before the 365 with safety came out, I also had thought I'd try AIWB to see if it was doable for me. I did NOT want to put a striker fired, no safety, gun in a holster that was arguably aimed at important stuff for me. And, no, AIWB was not for me in my trials, I just find 3:30 IWB much more comfortable.

Smack dab in the middle of flyover country
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    For you!!! Clint Smith has a way with words.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWV6ZVApOec/
    The world needs more Clint Smiths!

While I have been shooting a M&P in USPSA CO, Josh got me inspired to consider a Glock again. Setting up a USPSA CO pistol, I spent some time shooting a G5 17 with and without an X300, and for me, the weight of the light helps me to shoot faster. Josh, are you using a light? Since I have a TLR-7 on my carry pistol, it is an easy way to add 2.7 ounces in a good place, without changing the size envelope of the pistol too much, and I am ordering an OWB a holster for that combination.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Josh, are you using a light? Since I have a TLR-7 on my carry pistol, it is an easy way to add 2.7 ounces in a good place, without changing the size envelope of the pistol too much, and I am ordering an OWB a holster for that combination.
    I’m not, but I haven’t done enough comparison with light on/off shooting to be sure if I prefer the light or not.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    You may want to consider the 5 Yard Roundup. If I recall correctly, it was developed by Justin Dyal as a test of basic defensive competency. I'm sure members of PF will not find it particularly challenging, but I've found it to be a good way to compare different sized guns. The SHO and WHO strings, in particular, are interesting indicators.
    I changed from large to medium backstraps on my M&Ps due to this. While the large backstrap feels better in freestyle shooting, in one-handed shooting I was pulling shots to one side (it's been long enough ago I forget to which side). Pulling the shots went away when I switched to the medium backstrap and there was no change shooting freestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I’m not, but I haven’t done enough comparison with light on/off shooting to be sure if I prefer the light or not.
    My perception is that with the light, or more precisely the weight of the light in that position, the dot settles with less of my input than is required without the weight there. I also think a heavier gun, and I have the light and a Chip Wiz brass plug, makes the gun more stable aiming, and more resistant to an imperfect trigger press than a lighter gun is.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List