Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Big v. Little: The Effect of Pistol Size on Shooting Performance

It's no longer cool but for years, the smart people would take a longer slide model and cut the grip module to take the next smaller magazines. Think a 17 that takes 19 magazines or a 19 that takes 26 magazines. This meant that the hard to conceal part was smaller but you had the longer slide for better reliability, ballistics, sight radius etc. With the rise of dots, extra slide for sight radius is a moot point but the fact is that longer slide guns tend to have simpler recoil systems and tend towards greater reliability.

My non-uniform gun is a full-size P320 slide on top of an X-Grip module that has been cut (in a very crude fashion) to take compact magazines. It's just luck but with a magazine in place, this is just long enough to get all of my fingers on the gun in order to shoot it well.

I've watched folks struggle with guns that did not fit their hands for years. For a long time, it was people with guns too big for their hands because they wanted capacity. With the rise of micro 9's I see more guys struggling with guns that are smaller than optimal which they have to grasp perfectly to make everything work. Just saw a guy this weekend with huge hands and long fingers. His Glock 17 was swallowed and he had to warp his finger to try to place it on the trigger in a way that didn't interfere with his marksmanship. I told him to consider adding a Pierce pinky extension to see if it helped.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I've never liked adding grip to a magazine. When I use longer mags in shorter grips I always leave those things off. I hate pinching my hand while reloading.
    I don’t use extensions either; I don’t feel they are necessary since the pinky actually does very little for your grip. The G26 reload should be with a G19 Mag to avoid pinching.

Some people find it aids their draw, which I can understand.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    For example, my average classifier performance is about 80-100% with the 19, and effectively the same when shooting bigger pistols.
    Amazing, that is A to GM with a hideout gun. Wonder why anybody bothers with those iron butted 2011s and railroad track CZs.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Amazing, that is A to GM with a hideout gun. Wonder why anybody bothers with those iron butted 2011s and railroad track CZs.
    I've personally engaged in lots of gun flavor of the month, so I can't critique anyone else doing that.

I'm also in that space where I'm never likely to win a major match, but I'm a pretty decent shooter, so I have to decide what I personally want to get out of competitive shooting. For me, maximizing performance with the gun I actually carry is what interests me currently.

Having a shooting mentor who was also more accuracy focused than most give him credit for (many people missed the "hit" in Aim Fast, Hit Fast) was also great for my technical shooting proficiency, so I can usually crush the fixed time classifiers.

Hammertime
    Great post @joshs

I don't have much to add except that my findings concur in almost every way and I appreciate how you wrote that up.

I recently downsized to a G19 from a chopped grip G17 and can't really say as I can tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    For me, maximizing performance with the gun I actually carry is what interests me currently.
    There is a guy at my Wednesday evening indoor USPSA shooting what I think is a P365. He is either exercising his carry gun or that is all he has. He is not shooting any A class scores (but then neither am I with more usual match gun) but he is getting a lot of work in.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    There is a guy at my Wednesday evening indoor USPSA shooting what I think is a P365. He is either exercising his carry gun or that is all he has. He is not shooting any A class scores (but then neither am I with more usual match gun) but he is getting a lot of work in.
    The relaxing of a lot of (what I thought were silly) rules has definitely led to more people shooting USPSA with carry guns/gear. It was pretty uncommon to see people shooting from concealment a few years ago. To the point where I'd get a "where's your gear" from ROs when shooting Limited/AIWB. Now, we get at least a few people at local matches who are shooting from concealment, including several very good shooters. The recent rule changes seem to have been good for attracting new/different shooters to USPSA.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I don’t use extensions either; I don’t feel they are necessary since the pinky actually does very little for your grip.
    Totally disagree with this, but that’s a different topic for a different thread.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Not to put too fine a point on it, but unless I misunderstood, I don’t believe Josh said he made GM in CO with his G19?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but unless I misunderstood, I don’t believe Josh said he made GM in CO with his G19?
    No, but that's the goal. A couple more fixed time classifiers in a row should do it

User Tag List