Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Clothing Brand Recommendations

Winter Clothing Brand Recommendations

I’m gonna be taking a trip up north this winter and would like some recommendations on winter clothing, particularly a quality jacket?

I’m not camping or doing outdoor stuff but I will be outside.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    I’m gonna be taking a trip up north this winter and would like some recommendations on winter clothing, particularly a quality jacket?

Arctery’x, Voormi, Kuiu.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

For causal wear I’d start with Filson, albeit on the high end. LL Bean, Fjallraven, and many others have some good offerings as well that don’t look like you need a snowmobile and moose in the backdrop.

If you’re okay with a sportier/outdoorsy look Black Diamond and Outdoor Research have some great heavy jackets, both down and synthetic. Patagonia has some good mid-layers and shells, too.

Kuiu has also started offering some of their best outerwear in solid colors, too.

I guess to hone in a recommendation we’d need to know what temps and if precipitation is to be expected, and arduous vs more calm activities?
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    I've lived the vast majority of my life in the deep south, so I have limited experience with the cold. However, I really like Marmot. I bought a jacket from them in 2008 and just ordered a replacement yesterday. 13 years was a pretty good run for a $200 jacket. If I lived in a colder climate, I'd likely buy on of their heavier coats, and likely last years model on sale.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

They're not sexy, they're not cool, in fact, they're about as boringly white-bread as you can possibly get, but Land's End Squall Parkas work pretty well for cold winters, without breaking the bank. And there's a 60% off sale now

https://www.landsend.com/products/me...arka/id_349269
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    I've been Impressed with the few pieces I recently got got from Beyond Clothing. Got the K7 Belay Jacket, the rain pants and jacket (K5?) and a pair of soft shell pants.

So I live where it is cold and spend time outside.
    Most of what folks said is legit.

• Outdoor Research is the shit. Nothing I have gotten from them is less than superb. Quality costs.
    • Eddie Bauer has some decent stuff… But I never pay more than 50% of MSRP.
    • Carhartt insulated hoodies work for me down to zero F, with a little variable layering underneath. If you don’t need to be dressy or out in driving rain, Carhartt’s work (and also are great for a J Frame Airweight). Under $100.

I’m gonna be taking a trip up north this winter and would like some recommendations on winter clothing, particularly a quality jacket? I’m not camping or doing outdoor stuff but I will be outside.
    Where's "north"?
    When this winter?
    Altitude?
    Activity?
    How cold tolerant / acclimated are you?
    Budget?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I recently stumbled on Berne workwear. Their t shirts are excellent and inexpensive. Their style is something along the lines of carhardt. Probably not the snazziest clothes but their prices make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Where's "north"?
    When this winter?
    Altitude?
    Activity?
    How cold tolerant / acclimated are you?
    Budget?
    This ^

New Jersey is "up north" from Florida. But so are the great lakes! Alaska is north of California

As someone who lives "up north" I just buy winter jacket. My outdoor time includes walking from car to home/store and back to car, walking my dog 3x day for about 20 min each time and shoveling snow. The last not being very important to this.

Considering that I also wear a sweater underneath any winter jacket works

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

User Tag List