Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Steiner drops a new pistol optic

Shadow Systems just posted a video about a limited run of XR920s they made for LE with Acro cuts with a Steiner MPS mounted. They re asking if that's a pistol people want. I have a 509t mounted on one of my MR920s and it's a solid mount with no adapter plate. Their tech person told me the stock cut was too short for an Acro so I surmise they found a way to make the cut longer without having to rearrange everything else. If they just sold a slide I'd probably buy one just for shits and grins.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    With the Acro P2 and Steiner inbound, I am really looking forward to comparing these two.
    And I certainly look forward to your observations. We were fortunate enough to have a T&E sample at work, along with a P-2. I shot the Steiner a few hundred rounds and have a few comments.
    First, the glass and led are high quality, approaching/equaling the ACRO. The design puts the emitter on the “ceiling”, or in the top of the enclosed unit. This causes a shorter height, and, using the Ameriglo formula, you use size “XL” backup irons. The intensity buttons have a good”click”, and I didn’t have any issues with them. It has sort of an Aimpoint footprint. We used a C&H plate which was perfectly adequate.
    It’s shorter front to rear because there is no sacrificial lens in the front like the ACRO. The “eyebrow” at the top front protects the lens. There are plates on either side of the casing. No real sharp edges; you’d really have to work at it to cause a manipulation hand injury.
    We are now running shooting endurance and so far so good. I can see it as a contender if reliability pans out. I did not hesitate to carry it for the short time I had it. Between the MPS, the P-2 and Holosun, there are really good choices. JMO, but I think a 6 month schedule for battery change would address any concerns.

I just received my unit back from Steiner. This is completely unacceptable. I removed a zeroed Acro from a Chip Wiz mount, replaced it with the Steiner. Had some difficulty getting a prelim zero set inside with the Wheeler. Outside, the windage moved independent of what you did with the windage adjustment. Their note suggests the problem was the windage was run all the way to one side. I hardly want to waste my time with this -- it is not exactly my first rodeo with a red dot.

Name:  21E51AA3-90D9-4D8E-8DEE-72619BB823F1.jpeg
Views: 535
Size:  27.0 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In case…

@GJM That’s frustrating. Sorry you’re going through that.

I have been through that a couple of times with race car alignments and red dots.

If you’re willing to experiment a little with it, try loosening the CHPWS plate and shifting it to the appropriate other side to have enough windage adjustment.

I literally went through the same thing with a Holosun versus a Shield.

Turned out fine. Consider it.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I just received my unit back from Steiner. This is completely unacceptable. I removed a zeroed Acro from a Chip Wiz mount, replaced it with the Steiner. Had some difficulty getting a prelim zero set inside with the Wheeler. Outside, the windage moved independent of what you did with the windage adjustment. Their note suggests the problem was the windage was run all the way to one side. I hardly want to waste my time with this -- it is not exactly my first rodeo with a red dot.

Name:  21E51AA3-90D9-4D8E-8DEE-72619BB823F1.jpeg
Views: 535
Size:  27.0 KB
    Well you just saved me $500

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @GJM That’s frustrating. Sorry you’re going through that.

I have been through that a couple of times with race car alignments and red dots.

If you’re willing to experiment a little with it, try loosening the CHPWS plate and shifting it to the appropriate other side to have enough windage adjustment.

I literally went through the same thing with a Holosun versus a Shield.

Turned out fine. Consider it.
    The issue wasn’t the plate — the Acro zeroed perfectly with it, almost to the same adjustment it had been on another pistol. The issue was the windage adjustment was not working on the Steiner, and when you would click in a direction, the dot would not follow. Then, when live firing, the zero wandered in windage.

Further, I explained this all to the CS person at Steiner when I got the return label. What passes me off is that the unit was returned to me with the paperwork describing the problem as “I had turned it to the end of adjustment, and it was fixed by centering the windage knob.” . Not saying that didn’t happen, but if it did, it was prior to me receiving the unit.

The issue wasn’t the plate — the Acro zeroed perfectly with it, almost to the same adjustment it had been on another pistol. The issue was the windage adjustment was not working on the Steiner, and when you would click in a direction, the dot would not follow. Then, when live firing, the zero wandered in windage.
    I hear you and understand that the Acro was fine. And the plate was fine with the Acro.

I’m just suggesting that if the Steiner currently has tactile adjustment in windage, you might try shifting the plate to stay in the adjustment range of the Steiner.

Regardless of if the Acros zero with your current plate install position.

Like I said, I went through exactly the same thing recently. I ran out of adjustment on an optic that has never happened to me before… it corrected with a shift of the plate.

Not saying that is a solution in your case. Just to consider it as a potential solution. Regardless of your previous zeroed Acros.

If the Steiner doesn’t adjust in the current range then the thing is fucked and no point messing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I hear you and understand that the Acro was fine. And the plate was fine with the Acro.

I’m just suggesting that if the Steiner currently has tactile adjustment in windage, you might try shifting the plate to stay in the adjustment range of the Steiner.

Regardless of if the Acros zero with your current plate install position.

Like I said, I went through exactly the same thing recently. I ran out of adjustment on an optic that has never happened to me before… it corrected with a shift of the plate.

Not saying that is a solution in your case. Just to consider it as a potential solution. Regardless of your previous zeroed Acros.

If the Steiner doesn’t adjust in the current range then the thing is fucked and no point messing with it.
    From the moment we put the Steiner on, the dot did not move as it should in response to moving the windage adjustment. The POI also moved on its own in windage while firing.

From the moment we put the Steiner on, the dot did not move as it should in response to moving the windage adjustment. The POI also moved on its own in windage while firing.
    Dude. I understand that. Because you put it on and then tried to adjust with the Wheeler laser.

Do you remember how it felt with the very first click?

Doesn’t really matter because you can try it now.

You are a stubborn fella, ain’t you.

1. Don’t touch the windage now.
    2. Mock up the optic and see where the dot is off.
    3. Loosen mounting plate and shift it to see if you can get the optic dot closer to the Wheeler WITHOUT ADJUSTING THE WINDAGE.
    4. Then fine adjust the windage.

Or

1. Pout and fuss.

User Tag List