Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Steiner drops a new pistol optic

Couldnt resist the BF pricing and picked one up. Going to use it on a rifle, and mostly comparing it to an AEMS for that role.

Initial impressions:

Glass is impressive. 0 distortion. There is a notch filter but it isnt too intrusive. Excellent image when aiming with both eyes even in a darker environment.

Passive aiming: light transmission seems to be just a touch worse than the AEMS, very impreswive for the size/weight. However, the lowest brightness setting is too high. In a very dark environment it blooms and covers up details that otherwise would be visible in the glass. I really wish they had one lower brightness setting. Still overall seems like it will be a good performer at night.

Battery cap seems like a weak point. It is just 2 tiny threads, and it is difficult to start evenly as you are overcoming a thick o ring. Really wish they made this area like .5mm taller so they could fit another thread or two.

Post range trip impressions:

This thing really needs more brightness settings. When zeroing at 50M the settings were between covering the bullseye (which was about 2x the claimed size of the dot, but then again I have astigmatism so the dot looks blobby to me), and too dim to see. Really wish this had as many brightness settings as an AEMS or even the lowly Holosun 407/507 series.

The windage/elevation has great tactile and audible clicks, which is something I have not experienced in an optic of this size.

Glass clarity kept up with the AEMS day and night. A huge improvement from the non-enclosed Holosun pistol dots I own.

On the whole, I think this thing is impressive for its size/weight. The design and features are inferior to what I have come to expect from Holosuns in a few different ways, but the glass clarity makes up for that for my purposes.

Site Supporter
    GJM beat me to it.

Just got one of these and mounted with the FCD plate onto a Gen5 G17MOS. I put on a set of Ameriglo GL-429, it’s what I use on a G45MOS with an ACRO but the MPS window is lower so the sights take up much more of the window. What height gives me the same lower 1/4 like I have with the GL-429 / ACRO combo? Anyone know? I’m just looking for a plane black rear/front (serrated preferred).

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    Just got one of these and mounted with the FCD plate onto a Gen5 G17MOS. I put on a set of Ameriglo GL-429, it’s what I use on a G45MOS with an ACRO but the MPS window is lower so the sights take up much more of the window. What height gives me the same lower 1/4 like I have with the GL-429 / ACRO combo? Anyone know? I’m just looking for a plane black rear/front (serrated preferred).
    I have the exact same combo and same plate, but for me it doesn't seem very intrusive? On mine it seemed more like a lower 1/3rd, which is fine...compared to an LTT 92 RDO, where the BUIS can pretty easily take up half the window

The main problem I have, is the GL429 sights hit really low...to the point where I can't actually use them as backup sights. I wound up moving the MPS to a Walther PDP, and have since taken it off there (and am selling the PDP as even with the largest backstrap they make it's still just too small for me to get any support hand on it) and may put it back on the Glock...

Anyway - having said that - I did discover that using an FCD plate on a Walther PDP, if you use the Walther RMR-height backup sights, on the Walther PDP at least, they offer something like a lower 1/4-1/5th picture in the MPS' window. Since the PDP uses the same sight footprint as Glock...maybe that's a possibility?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    I have the exact same combo and same plate, but for me it doesn't seem very intrusive? On mine it seemed more like a lower 1/3rd, which is fine...compared to an LTT 92 RDO, where the BUIS can pretty easily take up half the window

The main problem I have, is the GL429 sights hit really low...to the point where I can't actually use them as backup sights. I wound up moving the MPS to a Walther PDP, and have since taken it off there (and am selling the PDP as even with the largest backstrap they make it's still just too small for me to get any support hand on it) and may put it back on the Glock...

Anyway - having said that - I did discover that using an FCD plate on a Walther PDP, if you use the Walther RMR-height backup sights, on the Walther PDP at least, they offer something like a lower 1/4-1/5th picture in the MPS' window. Since the PDP uses the same sight footprint as Glock...maybe that's a possibility?
    A buddy of mine found out the hard way that the PDP Gen 1 cut with ACRO plate and the Gen 2 with ACRO plate result in different optical window heights.

He has a newer PDP with the Gen 2 cut. I with the ACRO optics plate for the Gen 2 cut the Walther PDP BUIS and Ameriglo BUIS (GL 429) were too low to see through the window of the ACRO. Given the lower window on the MPS I could see the original sights providing a lower 1/4 co-witness but newer Walther ACRO sights may be taller.

Mine was a Gen 2 PDP with the updated optics plate cut; FCD plate. The ACRO-height BUIS would have been too low, frankly. You might have seen a sliver of the front sight through an MPS, but that might be about it. I have a photo of it in an earlier post, post #286 - if I had tilted it down to capture the front sight at the same height as the rear blade, it would have shown as an easy bottom 1/5th view through the window.

Anyway - that's specifically on a PDP...while the sights will/should fit on a Glock, I don't know if the same co-witness would apply on a MOS slide with an FCD, or if they'd even hit at POI/POA. But, it's an option to explore if someone's brave enough to order a set of sights from Midwest Gun Works as an alternative to Ameriglos, or to the 10-8 or I think even Heinie has gotten into the BUIS game..

Site Supporter
    Apex does it again. You know how the MPS uses an ACRO-ish footprint but it kinda doesn’t ?

Essentially it’s an extended clamping foot for the MPS that accommodates a greater range of adjustments.

Oh, this seems like a neat alternative to having to have acro and MPS specific mounting plates or for agencies like my local municipal police department that claimed allow both ACRO P-2s and MPS on factory ACRO cut guns (in their case M&Ps.

Is there a feature set on the MPS that would demonstrate some superiority over the Acro? All the angles are sexy-looking, but what else differentiates the two in terms of usability and performance?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Is there a feature set on the MPS that would demonstrate some superiority over the Acro? All the angles are sexy-looking, but what else differentiates the two in terms of usability and performance?
    Availability is one.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List