Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Steiner drops a new pistol optic

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Data point on mine - I had to replace the battery on my MPS the other day. It’s mostly just been used at work over the last 2 months or so. Haven’t carried it off duty. We work 12 hour shifts so I’m only working ~14 days a month. I use the highest setting since I’m working dayshift.
    Does the optic do anything for low battery? Blink or anything or just konk out?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Does the optic do anything for low battery? Blink or anything or just konk out?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Blinks constantly for a few hours, then dies.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

My MPS seems to be getting dimmer. I replaced the battery two weeks ago and set it on no--auto-shutdown max brightness. No longer is it equivalent to a T2 "8". Also I'm seeing rectangular artifacts around the dot that I do not recall seeing before. It has about 800 rounds fired on a P320 Compact (CHPWS ACRO plate).

The below are after replacing the battery (again) with a new Duracell 1632 (no difference).

Okay brightness for inside.

Name:  IMG_8899 Large.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  23.4 KB

Not okay brightness for outside (shady CA at 2:30pm). The pic is about equivalent to what my eye sees.

Name:  IMG_8898 Large.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  31.8 KB

Ugh. Please report back what Steiner says.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I opened this thread up, ready to read about how the Steiner was an unsung gem and everyone should be getting one of those instead of an Acro; I recently bought another MOS Glock and while I respect the Holosun I have on my other one, being in the tundra, having an enclosed emitter just makes sense...especially come winter.

Imagine my surprise when I read both the Acro thread and this one and come away thinking "where's plan C"

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Imagine my surprise when I read both the Acro thread and this one and come away thinking "where's plan C"
    Holosun 509?

I opened this thread up, ready to read about how the Steiner was an unsung gem and everyone should be getting one of those instead of an Acro; I recently bought another MOS Glock and while I respect the Holosun I have on my other one, being in the tundra, having an enclosed emitter just makes sense...especially come winter.

“Plan C” might be a Holosun 509T, although I wouldn’t give up on Steiner. We’ve had two early test samples-no major issues so far, but only sample of 2.
    Our folks tend to ACRO, but they aren’t keeping up well with demand.
    I certainly agree with you on closed emitter.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Holosun 509?
    Not a huge fan of it tbh...IMO Holosuns compare nicely against their original competition (RMR), but the enclosed emitter one doesn't compare favorably (glass, mainly) against the other, newer, closed emitter competitors. From what I've read anyway; I don't have any to compare in hand myself.

Having said that...being actually available on the market, and having known pain points vs running into dumb crap new...it's still tempting. I've already got one Holosun (508Tv1), so it's not like I can say "I won't support those commie bastards!@$#@$&"...my hypocrisy only goes so far.

If the MPS had Holosun's (or Sig's) shake awake feature, the big 13 hour/auto-shutoff issue would be a total non-problem, and I'd buy one without thinking about it.

The other thing I don't like about the 509 is it's unique footprint...if it also used the Acro footprint, it'd be an easier decision to make.

Maybe I'm being too critical..

FWIW, we’ve had several instructors run 509Ts(red and green)on MOS Glocks. Round count from a few hundred to a few thousand. Only one issue with one: lost ability to switch reticle. It still held zero, could adjust intensity, etc.
    Holosun replaced(good customer service).
    I have a green x2, and the glass is acceptable, though not as good as others.
    C&H makes a plate that I haven’t had a issue with. Manufacturers are going to have their footprints. I’d be surprised if that changed…

Site Supporter
    Not a huge fan of it tbh...IMO Holosuns compare nicely against their original competition (RMR), but the enclosed emitter one doesn't compare favorably (glass, mainly) against the other, newer, closed emitter competitors. From what I've read anyway; I don't have any to compare in hand myself.
    The X2 model has notably less distortion. I've only ever noticed it in slowfire or when just looking through the sight. The MPS glass is outstanding, but I don't notice the difference when "following the bouncing dot." The 509 has some distinct advantages. The window size and shape are very conducive to it "ghosting" and the housing not drawing visual attention. (This is one downside of the top mounted battery on the MPS: the housing is thick on the top of the window).

The 509 also mounts very low when using the the factory MOS plate because the optic effectively sits right on the slide with the "plate" really just being a rail for the optic to grab onto. I don't find optic height to be as critical as others for shooting, but the low stack height (and the cutout at the rear of the 509) really helps with printing for me when carrying appendix. I've been experimenting with ditching the "wing" on most holsters because closed emitter optics tend to print more than the grip does for me.

I currently prefer the MPS, but, if my honest, that's because I'm providing substantial weight to country of origin. If that doesn't matter to someone, then the 509 is still the most proven closed emitter option that's readily available.

User Tag List