Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Steiner drops a new pistol optic

Let’s see, almost an Acro footprint but not, and a choice between optic intensity throttled or automatically turned off.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have an MPS on the way. Tracking says it will arrive tomorrow.

This will go onto my new Shadow Systems XR920 that's cut for the ACRO. The ACRO itself fits quite well. No big gaps fore and aft or underneath. I'm hoping the Steiner will mate up properly.

As an aside, the XR920/ACRO combo will not fit my Alien Gear, Safariland or Blackhawk duty holsters. In the case of the Safariland and BH, removing the hood will fix the fitment issue. The Alien Gear hood is more directly attached to the holster and can't be as easily removed. I have an email in to AG to see if they offer a bigger hood that works with the Aimpoint. Anyway, I am curious to see if any of these holsters will work unmodified with the Steiner.

And as another aside, Shadow Systems says they do not have immediate plans for a Holosun HE509T cut but will likely add one depending on market interest.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Steiner riding in the Shadow Systems ACRO cut. It seems to mate up fine. The MPS body is about ⅛" shorter than the ACRO so there is a slightly unsightly gap at the front.

Being a top emitter the window is surprisingly low. Shorter irons could be used if the shooter was so inclined.

Apologies if this is mentioned upthread. A quick perusal showed the question but not the answer and it isn't in the instructions shipped with the MPS.

To deactivate the Benghazi feature, press the + and - buttons at the same time. Hold for 10 seconds. The dot will blink to show the change from auto off mode.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Apologies if this is mentioned upthread. A quick perusal showed the question but not the answer and it isn't in the instructions shipped with the MPS.

To deactivate the Benghazi feature, press the + and - buttons at the same time. Hold for 10 seconds. The dot will blink to show the change from auto off mode.

Yes, that's what worked to disable the auto off on mine.

Is Shadow selling Acro cut slides to the general public yet?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is Shadow selling Acro cut slides to the general public yet?
    Not yet. Still LE sales only at this time.

I took my MPS out in the sun for the first time yesterday (the two day class I taught with it was 95% overcast). I used it with auto-shutoff enabled and disabled. I found that in bright sunlight, with auto-shutoff enabled, the top brightness setting is suitable, but if I click down even one setting from there, I can barely see the dot. This is nothing new to me as my color vision isn't great and red dots tend to wash out somewhat. With auto-shutoff enabled (and the actual top brightness back in play) I have two usable settings.

I suspect that this is a consequence of the very clear glass and correspondingly unobtrusive notch filter. For me, the MPS will likely need to remind with auto-shutoff enabled, but we will see at the end of the month with five days of low-light trainings that will include working facing into bright lights (another common wash out situation).

I think I have 700 rounds or so on the MPS and I like the clarity, very round dot, positive controls, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    ...auto-shutoff enabled, the top brightness...
    Seems funky to me that setting the optic in constant on mode deactivates the max brightness setting. I guess battery life at max / constant on must be in Aimpoint P1 territory so Steiner decided to override it.

A couple random things I have noticed.

The + button is way easier to press on my optic than the - button. Not a big deal except when trying to put the optic in button lock mode or turn the timer on or off. Or turn the optic off when in manual.

When in button lock mode the illumination is held at whatever setting. The - button still turns the optic off when held for 4 or 5 seconds. Not a complaint just an observation. So not a true button override but rather a button modification setting.

As I think others have mentioned, the top 2 illumination settings are good in timer mode. When the timer is turned off the new max brightness is the only useful setting in AZ daytime. The next step down is quite a significant drop in dot brightness.

There's some blooming visible inside the window down in the bottom of the window. Somewhat distracting but nothing that's really noticeable when properly target focused.

Glass is clean and clear. No real distortion or darkening to speak of.

Elevation and windage are slotted but are too small for a dime or casing. Steiner should widen these a little. Or switch to Torx and include a small keyring tool. Some people don't like specific tools and I get that. But the slots now are pretty dang small. You're probably going to need a tool as it is now.

Same deal for the battery cap. It fits tightly and has a small slot. Change to a groove that will work with a quarter or a nickel. Something a person is likely to have on hand in case a battery change is needed "on the job."

I kind of like the funky shape. Sort of European and space age. Not a boring ugly box like its competitors.

Speaking of competition I have a decent amount of time with the Holosun 509 and a bit of time with the ACRO. The ACRO definitely feels more "quality" than the Steiner. Hard to explain but it just seems to be a more solid unit. Functionally the ACRO also seems to have better steps between brightness settings. Then the 509 seems more intuitive with buttons and easier to set in lockout mode. Plus the 509 has some different reticle settings that the Aimpoint and Steiner don't have. More distortion in the 509 however. Even the new X2 or whatever the latest version is has a little distortion where the ACRO and MPS are quite clear.

Happy Saturday, everyone!

User Tag List