Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Steiner drops a new pistol optic

Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    … a 509T but one of my concerns is that the auto adjust seems to meter straight up, causing some big issues when looking from a dark area to a well lit area. My RMRs do not display this same issue for me but I prefer a closed emitter for duty use. Thanks.
    I have not found the auto adjust on my 509t2 to be very useful. @GJM suggested using it on the circle only reticle setting, and that helps.

But, it has been possible to find a single brightness that works well enough under most conditions with a reasonable level of light.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    GJM, I hate to sound like I am asking Mrs. Lincoln how she otherwise liked the play, and apologies if I missed it, but outside of the zero issues, what did you think about the clarity and distortion (if any) of the Steiner? Also, how was the light metering for the auto adjust?

I have been working with a 509T but one of my concerns is that the auto adjust seems to meter straight up, causing some big issues when looking from a dark area to a well lit area. My RMRs do not display this same issue for me but I prefer a closed emitter for duty use. Thanks.
    The display is clear and appears larger than the Acro. In some limited testing in low sun angles, it did not have phantom dots or scatter. It is manual only and has no auto adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’ve seen the same in EO Tech 552s and ACOGs.

The field expedient was to go a click or two past the desired adjustment point and then come back to the adjustment point.

Of course if you’re not stuck with issued equipment you shouldn’t have to put up with that type of nonsense.

On another note, I am aware “Chip-Whiz” Has been experiencing significant quality control issues in plates supplied to LE agencies. A plate issue would not be surprising, Especially if the issue goes away on a direct mill or another makers plate.

Or is Dora the explorer says “porque no los dos ?”
    I am trying to sort out whether I have an adjustment issue, a mount issue, or a me issue. To try to sort that out, I mounted a Tango Down plate on a Gen 5 19 MOS slide with the Steiner. Today, I shot a steel at 15 yards, and got this.

Name:  B342ADA6-CDAD-4580-B2EC-11F95E38507C.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  47.7 KB

Then I moved 15 clicks down in elevation, and got this.

Name:  C1BDE283-9C08-4693-8E22-0A06BFC8BF1E.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  45.6 KB

Then I moved the 15 clicks up, and the group moved appropriately (lost the picture).

So I don't know, and continue to experiment.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Thank you both for the input. I may wait a little longer on the Steiner. Unfortunately my 509T is the older model which doesn’t have circle only as a reticle option, but I can set it manually at a setting which should work across most of my applications.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The display is clear and appears larger than the Acro. In some limited testing in low sun angles, it did not have phantom dots or scatter. It is manual only and has no auto adjust.

I am trying to sort out whether I have an adjustment issue, a mount issue, or a me issue. To try to sort that out, I mounted a Tango Down plate on a Gen 5 19 MOS slide with the Steiner. Today, I shot a steel at 15 yards, and got this.

Name:  B342ADA6-CDAD-4580-B2EC-11F95E38507C.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  47.7 KB

Then I moved 15 clicks down in elevation, and got this.

Name:  C1BDE283-9C08-4693-8E22-0A06BFC8BF1E.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  45.6 KB

Then I moved the 15 clicks up, and the group moved appropriately (lost the picture).

So I don't know, and continue to experiment.
    I am thankful we have shooters like you who spend the time and money to work out these issues. I know it’s saved me time, money and frustration over the years.

Apologies if this has already been answered, but can the auto-off function be disabled? Their website says you can toggle it on and off, but I haven't seen any reports from people who actually have the optic in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by js475 View Post
    Apologies if this has already been answered, but can the auto-off function be disabled? Their website says you can toggle it on and off, but I haven't seen any reports from people who actually have the optic in hand.
    I have heard that newer units come without the auto-off function, but I can’t figure out how to disable it on my unit. It is a bit disconcerting in a world of motac to pick the pistol up and have no dot, until you remember this one works differently and you need to power the optic on again.

Site Supporter
    @GJM I know a bunch of people have been throwing testing recommendations out, but did you ever just grab the optic and try to manually twist or move it while it was mounted on the chipwiz plate?

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @GJM I know a bunch of people have been throwing testing recommendations out, but did you ever just grab the optic and try to manually twist or move it while it was mounted on the chipwiz plate?
    I sure did, and in fairness had issues with pistols with the chip wiz and Apex plates.

I did another tracking drill today, where I first shot it at 15 yards, then moved 12 clicks left. It did something I have seen several times with this optic, where the first shot went where I expected it to, then the next three shots went to a tight group in another place. It is almost like the zero takes a shot to settle in.

I may be near the end of this experiment, as I am wasting time and ammo with little to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I did another tracking drill today, where I first shot it at 15 yards, then moved 12 clicks left. It did something I have seen several times with this optic, where the first shot went where I expected it to, then the next three shots went to a tight group in another place. It is almost like the zero takes a shot to settle in.

I may be near the end of this experiment, as I am wasting time and ammo with little to show for it.
    I can't afford to experiment like some you can so personally I really appreciate those of you who sacrifice the time and money to Guinea pig the newest stuff.

User Tag List