Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Steiner drops a new pistol optic

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Because you just tested it at home and it’s zeroed except for when bolted to the Chip Wiz.

If you take the Steiner rep at face value the issue is in the plate and not the optic.

Regardless there’s an issue with the mount currently and not with the optic.

Until you diagnose and trouble shoot that it doesn’t matter what the optic issue is.
    Negative. When I received the optic, from the first click of adjustment the dot did not track properly in windage, when trying to adjust it with the Wheeler. When I shot it live fire, the group moved after shot one. As I tried to move the POI to the target, I could not get the dot to track in windage. The issue wasn't it ran out of adjustment, the issue was it would not move in response to adjustments.

I have zero idea as to why the optic was tracking in elevation properly, but would not hold windage. Did they have a manufacturing problem, was it damaged in shipment, something else -- no clue. I also have no idea what they did to "rectify" it at Steiner, beyond the notes on the packing slip.

If the mount was off, and we have no idea whether there is a plate problem (visually the plate looks fine) or it is something about Steiner's spec on the Acro mounting standard, the windage should still move in response to making adjustments. The problem wasn't that the optic ran out of adjustment, it was that the zero jumped around in live fire and the windage would not track.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Negative. When I received the optic, from the first click of adjustment the dot did not track properly in windage, when trying to adjust it with the Wheeler. When I shot it live fire, the group moved after shot one. As I tried to move the POI to the target, I could not get the dot to track in windage. The issue wasn't it ran out of adjustment, the issue was it would not move in response to adjustments.

I have zero idea as to why the optic was tracking in elevation properly, but would not hold windage. Did they have a manufacturing problem, was it damaged in shipment, something else -- no clue. I also have no idea what they did to "rectify" it at Steiner, beyond the notes on the packing slip.

If the mount was off, and we have no idea whether there is a plate problem (visually the plate looks fine) or it is something about Steiner's spec on the Acro mounting standard, the windage should still move in response to making adjustments. The problem wasn't that the optic ran out of adjustment, it was that the zero jumped around in live fire and the windage would not track.
    Is the unit you received back the same unit? Or a replacement unit?

It sounded like the same unit.

Sometimes we remember things wrong.

So sometimes in hypothesis testing we test as if our initial supposition was wrong. It’s nothing personal and ego doesn’t have to come into play.

If it’s the same unit and you just take yesterday in independence:

It is on target when mounted on a Glock and the clicks are appropriate.

It is not on target when mounted to the Chip Wiz.

So just look at yesterday as an isolated thing and mock it to the Chip Wiz without bolting it.

It’ll give you the direct answer of where the issue is.

And maybe it’ll suggest you misremembered how the first clicks felt. It wouldn’t be out of the question to have mounted it up, seen it way off and sped through the first 20 clicks without feeling them.

I’m not saying that’s what happened.

But dry mock it up without mounting it.

It’ll answer whether it’s the footprint or the mounting hardware.

You don’t want to be the Karen that complains about the optic if it winds up being a bolt mounting head shape.

Note this is similar to spherical versus tapered lug nuts on some OEM wheels versus aftermarket ones. Sometimes it’s not the wheel or the car… it’s matching bolts.

Name:  97E5AB19-6C72-403B-96F8-093200823E4B.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  43.4 KB
    Last edited by JCN; 12-17-2021 at 09:57 AM.

"...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Yeah, I’ll keep on with My 509t’s. They’ve been nothing but reliable.

Brief update.

I shot a magazine through the MPS on the MOS Glock, and it held zero. So that is progress.

I then moved it to a 320 upper on an Apex plate, and the zero seemed close to the Glock. Also spent some time pointing it in a low sun angle, and I didn't see any false dots.

I plan to shoot it on the 320 and a direct milled 19 slide coming from Maple Leaf.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

I've seen two expensive rifle scopes that had turret backlash issues that caused a problem like this in one axis only.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Name:  871EF314-40D3-470E-8E00-74D40B1CEAFA.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  78.1 KB

Just back from the range. Besides practice, I had an objective of zeroing the P2 on a Glock, the Steiner on a 320, and a 6moa DP Pro on an AXG Pro slide. I had gotten a rough zero inside on all three with the Wheeler.

First up was the AXG/DP Pro. The Wheeler got me within an inch in elevation and windage, and I quickly had that done. After some practice, I pulled the Steiner/320. It is mounted using an Apex plate. I used a painted steel at 20 yards, because it expedites the process to see hits without walking to the target. First shot hit dead center, and the next three shots hit 3.5 inches low. I moved the elevation adjustment six clicks up, and there was no change in elevation. Then I moved it ten clicks up, and the zero was pretty close to center. When I got home, I put the Wheeler on it, and it shows as zeroed. Clearly there is something going on with the adjustment or mounting system, and I can’t be sure which. However, something is screwed up.

I finished with the Acro P2 on. glock, and it required no change from what I set with the Wheeler.

Probably will contact Steiner CS after the holiday, but I am strongly inclined to make it go away and stop messing with it.

Site Supporter
    GJM, I hate to sound like I am asking Mrs. Lincoln how she otherwise liked the play, and apologies if I missed it, but outside of the zero issues, what did you think about the clarity and distortion (if any) of the Steiner? Also, how was the light metering for the auto adjust?

I have been working with a 509T but one of my concerns is that the auto adjust seems to meter straight up, causing some big issues when looking from a dark area to a well lit area. My RMRs do not display this same issue for me but I prefer a closed emitter for duty use. Thanks.
    Polite Professional

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I've seen two expensive rifle scopes that had turret backlash issues that caused a problem like this in one axis only.
    I’ve seen the same in EO Tech 552s and ACOGs.

The field expedient was to go a click or two past the desired adjustment point and then come back to the adjustment point.

Of course if you’re not stuck with issued equipment you shouldn’t have to put up with that type of nonsense.

On another note, I am aware “Chip-Whiz” Has been experiencing significant quality control issues in plates supplied to LE agencies. A plate issue would not be surprising, Especially if the issue goes away on a direct mill or another makers plate.

Or is Dora the explorer says “porque no los dos ?”

User Tag List