Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Steiner drops a new pistol optic

Cowan said he got his MPS from EuroOptic, same place I got mine, and obviously he got his earlier than me. If he really could disable the auto-off then we should be able to as well.

I'll see if locking out the buttons also disables the auto-off. I should know... in 12 hours 59 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Left a question about it in a comment on SD’s YT review. I purchased this on the strength of his very distinct comment in the review that he disabled the auto off, it that isn’t accurate I’m going to be pissed. I usually ignore “influencers” and may have gotten bit in the ass here.

It wouldn’t be the first time a manufacturer told me something inaccurate. Information doesn’t always get down to the people who need it.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Negative. When I received the optic, from the first click of adjustment the dot did not track properly in windage, when trying to adjust it with the Wheeler. When I shot it live fire, the group moved after shot one. As I tried to move the POI to the target, I could not get the dot to track in windage. The issue wasn't it ran out of adjustment, the issue was it would not move in response to adjustments.
    I had all sorts of issues with the VP9 / 509T combo using CHPWS plates, and mirror your experiences (but in elevation, not windage).

5 or so plates later I finally gone one that worked. Getting my second one setup like that involved one plate. Mine was absolutely a plate problem, ran out of elevation, wouldn't track, and did loosen when mounted on the plate under recoil.

Then I shot them both loose in October, and found that the locating 'stub' on the aluminum plate was demolished from recoil. One plate sits flush, the other one has a gap but doesn't move when I manhandle things.

I've been eyeballing the Acro after a steel plate from FCD comes out (or a factory offering, if that is a thing), but the MPS has made me reconsider it. Your CS experience is having me on the fence.

I heard back from Steiner technical support via email. What the phone rep told me may be inaccurate.

The new rep stated that if the sight is capable of having auto off overridden you press and hold both buttons until you get a double flash of the dot. You test it by seeing if it turns off after 13 hours. (I’m assuming you turn the sight on and off with a long press of either button?) He also stated they would help me out if the MPS I got was old enough stock to not have the override function.

@vandal , is this what you did?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I heard back from Steiner technical support via email. What the phone rep told me may be inaccurate.

The new rep stated that if the sight is capable of having auto off overridden you press and hold both buttons until you get a double flash of the dot. You test it by seeing if it turns off after 13 hours. (I’m assuming you turn the sight on and off with a long press of either button?) He also stated they would help me out if the MPS I got was old enough stock to not have the override function.
    @vandal , is this what you did?
    I wasn’t that patient. I gave it maybe five seconds. Holding both buttons does turn on or off the button lock. At the risk of resetting the timer on my grand experiment I will give it a shot before turning in tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    I wasn’t that patient. I gave it maybe five seconds. Holding both buttons does turn on or off the button lock. At the risk of resetting the timer on my grand experiment I will give it a shot before turning in tonight.
    Another email from Steiner explaining how it’s done:

Yes once you change it to non shut-off mode even if you change the battery the mode is hard set. Only set using the double buttons down for 10 seconds... after 3 it will flash once for other settings. Continue for the double flash. Either way let us know and we will get you right.
    Also, it’s a permanent change.
    Ken

Site Supporter

Well, they addressed my biggest issue. I’ll have to try one.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I had all sorts of issues with the VP9 / 509T combo using CHPWS plates, and mirror your experiences (but in elevation, not windage).

5 or so plates later I finally gone one that worked. Getting my second one setup like that involved one plate. Mine was absolutely a plate problem, ran out of elevation, wouldn't track, and did loosen when mounted on the plate under recoil.

Then I shot them both loose in October, and found that the locating 'stub' on the aluminum plate was demolished from recoil. One plate sits flush, the other one has a gap but doesn't move when I manhandle things.

I've been eyeballing the Acro after a steel plate from FCD comes out (or a factory offering, if that is a thing), but the MPS has made me reconsider it. Your CS experience is having me on the fence.
    My issues went across multiple plates, multiple plate manufacturers-- was not a Chip Wiz problem.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don't get any flashes when I hold both buttons down. Not at 3 seconds, not at 10+ seconds.

Hold + to power on

When on...
    Hold + for however long and nothing happens other than increase brightness one step
    Hold both buttons for 2 seconds to lock/unlock the buttons
    Hold both buttons for 2+ seconds does nothing.
    Hold - for 2 seconds powers it off.

"if the sight is capable of having auto off overridden"... I guess I have my answer.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    I don't get any flashes when I hold both buttons down. Not at 3 seconds, not at 10+ seconds.

Hold + to power on

When on...
    Hold + for however long and nothing happens other than increase brightness one step
    Hold both buttons for 2 seconds to lock/unlock the buttons
    Hold both buttons for 2+ seconds does nothing.
    Hold - for 2 seconds powers it off.

"if the sight is capable of having auto off overridden"... I guess I have my answer.
    Hmmm. Maybe see if it’s still on in 14 hours?
    Ken

User Tag List