Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Steiner drops a new pistol optic

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    I do,yes; initially I used Vibratite, but have switched to Loctite 248. Degrease first.

@SoCalDep- “His is the way.”

One other thing: I use a paint pen to put a witness mark straight across screw head and onto body. If it shifts, hopefully I notice…
    Like you, I degrease mounting screws and the crossbolt screws, and I also use Loctite 248. Works great.

I got my new MPS in yesterday. Haven't shot it yet but initial impressions are pretty favorable. Thankfully I got a newer one and was able to disable the auto-off. Just hold down both brightness buttons for 10 seconds and it will flash a few times to indicate that the mode has been changed. I also got my P2 ACRO last week so I can give a quick comparison just based on my initial impressions.

- The MPS window is noticeably wider than the P2.
    - Glass and dot clarity are equally good on both (both are very clear)
    - I like being able to adjust the windage/elevation with just a flathead or shell casing rather than needing a torx bit for the P2.
    - Brightness: the P2 on max brightness is a little brighter than the MPS, but both are perfectly usable outdoors on a sunny day. I would say the max setting (8) on the MPS is just a little bighter than setting 9 (second highest) on the P2.
    - Battery life: according to a Steiner CS rep that I talked to over the phone, the 13,000 hr battery life is measured on setting 5 of 8. This setting is perfectly suitable for indoor use even with a WML, but it's probably too dim for outdoor use in bright sunlight. At least to my eyes, this is equivalent in brightness to setting 7 on the ACRO P1 and setting 6 on the P2. For reference, Aimpoint uses setting 6 for their battery life quotes. I'd also say it's similar to setting 5 of 8 on the RMR. Trijicon quotes "over 4 years" of battery life on setting 4, so the RMR and MPS might actually be pretty comparable in terms of battery life.

I did notice a strange issue with my optic though. Once I disabled the auto-off feature, I could no longer bring the optic to its max brightness setting. The highest I could go was setting 7. At first I thought maybe the battery that it came with was low, but changing it didn't fix the issue. Once I re-enabled the auto-off, I could access the max brightness setting again. Have any of you seen this issue with the newer MPS after you disable the auto-off?

Quote Originally Posted by js475 View Post
    I got my new MPS in yesterday. Haven't shot it yet but initial impressions are pretty favorable. Thankfully I got a newer one and was able to disable the auto-off. Just hold down both brightness buttons for 10 seconds and it will flash a few times to indicate that the mode has been changed. I also got my P2 ACRO last week so I can give a quick comparison just based on my initial impressions.

- I like being able to adjust the windage/elevation with just a flathead or shell casing rather than needing a torx bit for the P2.
    - Brightness: the P2 on max brightness is a little brighter than the MPS, but both are perfectly usable outdoors on a sunny day. I would say the max setting (8) on the MPS is just a little bighter than setting 9 (second highest) on the P2.
    - Battery life: according to a Steiner CS rep that I talked to over the phone, the 13,000 hr battery life is measured on setting 5 of 8. This setting is perfectly suitable for indoor use even with a WML, but it's probably too dim for outdoor use in bright sunlight. At least to my eyes, this is equivalent in brightness to setting 7 on the ACRO P1 and setting 6 on the P2. For reference, Aimpoint uses setting 6 for their battery life quotes. I'd also say it's similar to setting 5 of 8 on the RMR. Trijicon quotes "over 4 years" of battery life on setting 4, so the RMR and MPS might actually be pretty comparable in terms of battery life.

I did notice a strange issue with my optic though. Once I disabled the auto-off feature, I could no longer bring the optic to its max brightness setting. The highest I could go was setting 7. At first I thought maybe the battery that it came with was low, but changing it didn't fix the issue. Once I re-enabled the auto-off, I could access the max brightness setting again. Have any of you seen this issue with the newer MPS after you disable the auto-off?
    I didn’t flip it back and forth, but I think mine is doing the same. If you happen to talk to Steiner about this, please report back!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I didn’t flip it back and forth, but I think mine is doing the same. If you happen to talk to Steiner about this, please report back!
    Glad to see mine's not the only one doing that. I tried disabling the auto off while the optic was at max brightness. Once it changes modes, the brightness steps down and I'm unable to go back up to max.

I submitted a service request to Steiner, so I'll see what they say. I wonder if it's just a programming error on the newer models. I essentially never use the nuclear bright setting on my red dots anyway, but it'd be nice to have the ability just in case.

Glad to see mine's not the only one doing that. I tried disabling the auto off while the optic was at max brightness. Once it changes modes, the brightness steps down and I'm unable to go back up to max.

I submitted a service request to Steiner, so I'll see what they say. I wonder if it's just a programming error on the newer models. I essentially never use the nuclear bright setting on my red dots anyway, but it'd be nice to have the ability just in case.
    Some engineer probably decided if you're going to turn the auto disable off you need the dot from being turned up too bright to protect the battery.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The very first thing I did with my two MPSs was disable the auto-off feature. When I saw your comment about it's max brightness, I went and compared them to my P2 and was about to say they are not even close when I saw your last comment and tried it for myself. Sure enough, both mine (received mid March) have the same "feature".

While still usable on a sunny day, the second-brightest setting was not quite as bright as I would like, so I'm glad there is hope for improvement.

Compared to my P2, the only other thing that stands out as a detractor is how sharp the upper-rear corner is. With some fabrics it creates a very noticeable unnatural crease, where the P2's rounded edge blends and conceals much better (for me).

Edit: I have my MPS on a Tango Down MOS plate and 10-8 Gen 2 standard height sights, and they are barely visible at the bottom of the window. Approximately the top 1/3 of the rear sight notch height is visible - still usable. With my P2, the top edge of the same sights are even with the bottom of the window, and are therefore unusable.
    Last edited by runngun; 03-27-2022 at 07:11 AM.

I’ll measure when I get back to office, but if I recall the MPS has the emitter in its “roof”, while the ACRO has it in the floor.
    Might be advantageous for lower buis.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Some engineer probably decided if you're going to turn the auto disable off you need the dot from being turned up too bright to protect the battery.
    If this really is an intended "feature" and not just a bug, Steiner needs some new engineers and/or better design input from people who actually shoot. Between this and the auto-off they're making some stupid but easily correctable decisions on an otherwise solid optic.

Quote Originally Posted by runngun View Post
    The very first thing I did with my two MPSs was disable the auto-off feature. When I saw your comment about it's max brightness, I went and compared them to my P2 and was about to say they are not even close when I saw your last comment and tried it for myself. Sure enough, both mine (received mid March) have the same "feature".

While still usable on a sunny day, the second-brightest setting was not quite as bright as I would like, so I'm glad there is hope for improvement.

Compared to my P2, the only other thing that stands out as a detractor is how sharp the upper-rear corner is. With some fabrics it creates a very noticeable unnatural crease, where the P2's rounded edge blends and conceals much better (for me).

Edit: I have my MPS on a Tango Down MOS plate and 10-8 Gen 2 standard height sights, and they are barely visible at the bottom of the window. Approximately the top 1/3 of the rear sight notch height is visible - still usable. With my P2, the top edge of the same sights are even with the bottom of the window, and are therefore unusable.
    My current Ameriglo irons are a little tall with the MPS - you’re talking about this rear with a 0.215 front?

https://www.10-8performance.com/glock-rear-sight-gen2/
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    My current Ameriglo irons are a little tall with the MPS - you’re talking about this rear with a 0.215 front?

https://www.10-8performance.com/glock-rear-sight-gen2/
    Yes, the .215 front sight.

User Tag List