Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your best drills for improving shot to shot recovery?

Your best drills for improving shot to shot recovery?

I am dedicating the rest of fall and winter to improving my ability to shoot RMR type sights. I shot USPSA Open for a full two seasons around the turn of the century, so draw to target and finding the dot is not my greatest demon.

However that compensated .38 super open gun with the big c-more on top offered almost zero challenge managing shot to shot recovery. In fact it was pretty much like playing a video game that had overpressure muzzle blast as a feature. The dot never left my field of vision the whole stage, the gun just barely rose at all in recoil.

Where I am performance wise today is my runs on most benchmark drills are about 10-15% behind what I can do with iron sights for those drills or strings shot between 3 and 10 yards. Past that, the performance with the dot is actually better, which is no surprise, but that is mostly accuracy not speed.

My greatest need in improving my performance with the slide mounted rds is that shot to shot recovery. I know this is a matter of practice to get better.

Just looking for some more practice drill recommendations from those of you who have mastered this slide mounted dot thing. I am thinking I should eventually be able to perform faster and more accurately just like an open gun smokes a limited gun, but I not there yet.
    Last edited by fatdog; 11-08-2021 at 02:02 PM.

I think one of my Steve Anderson books has some Live Fire Drills for sight/dot recovery. Gimme a minute I’ll try and extract the Cliff’s.

You trying to improve splits, transitions, or both? Make sure you are truly target focused and not fixating on the dot.

Back to arrows, but a larger display optic like a SRO, or even a Holosun 507, usually helps.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    both?
    that, splits on the same target are on average slower, target to target splits are slower, not by a huge amount

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I think one of my Steve Anderson books has some Live Fire Drills for sight/dot recovery. Gimme a minute I’ll try and extract the Cliff’s.
    On rereading the OP more closely I don't think this ^^^ would benefit. Sorry can't be more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    that, splits on the same target are on average slower, target to target splits are slower, not by a huge amount
    Are you trying to make the dot stop and be still on a spot, as opposed to breaking the shot when the dot streaks within the scoring area?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Are you trying to make the dot stop and be still on a spot, as opposed to breaking the shot when the dot streaks within the scoring area?
    Probably trying to make it stop, I will think about that next practice session try to understand if I am waiting on it to come to rest instead of breaking the shot when it simple enters the A zone.

Practical Accuracy & Doubles Drill?

Both are in Stoeger’s books

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Where I am performance wise today is my runs on most benchmark drills are about 10-15% behind what I can do with iron sights for those drills or strings shot between 3 and 10 yards. Past that, the performance with the dot is actually better, which is no surprise, but that is mostly accuracy not speed.

My greatest need in improving my performance with the slide mounted rds is that shot to shot recovery. I know this is a matter of practice to get better.
    So putting my coaching hat on, instead of telling you what I do or giving you general information, I’m going to go CR3 you specific information for you.

You’re in a good situation where you have an iron benchmark standard already that you’re comparing to.

You’re not limited in your mechanics, you’re limited in your vision (or as @GJM is suggesting, your utilization of vision).

So here’s the advice:

Bring a similar iron and dot gun to the range.

Pick a close up drill with doubles or doubles with transitions.

Get your benchmark iron run.

Then use that as your par time for your dot practice and FORCE yourself to make the time.

That’s the sight picture and vision you’ll use.

With a good index, red anywhere in the window is good enough for a 3 yard hit. Doesn’t have to be a stable dot, doesn’t have to be even a trackable streak. You trigger when you get any red at all in the window (assuming good mechanics). Moving to 5-7 yards you might have to track a streak.

If you still need help after a week or two of that, let me know.

I have some specific drills that I helped a great iron shooter accept dots when previously he kept failing.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/jc...hread.1875458/

Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    Practical Accuracy & Doubles Drill?

Both are in Stoeger’s books
    Yes, and add Measurement Drill to this list.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List