Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else having second thoughts on the MR73?

Anyone else having second thoughts on the MR73?

I had just about set the plan in motion to acquire an MR73 when I read about jetfire’s experience with the cylinder stop.

The idea of dropping $3,200 on a revolver that could go out of time after being cycled 4,000 times doesn’t sit well with me. I’ve been known to run a Smith K-frame that many times in a month (granted, not nearly as fast as jetfire)

I could buy two Colt Pythons for that price. My Colt King Cobra was dropped, and the tip of the hammer spur broke. It’s arriving back today, and the entire process took 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I had just about set the plan in motion to acquire an MR73 when I read about jetfire’s experience with the cylinder stop.

The idea of dropping $3,200 on a revolver that could go out of time after being cycled 4,000 times doesn’t sit well with me. I’ve been known to run a Smith K-frame that many times in a month (granted, not nearly as fast as jetfire)
    I think that depends on what you're buying the MR73 for, because even I'll admit that buying a 3300 dollar revolver to beat the piss out of it in matches doesn't make a lot of sense on paper. But if you want one because it's an insanely beautiful thing that shoots like a laser beam, it's worth every penny.

I mean, I already have one, but I am not happy hearing about that issue. I don’t run my guns particularly hard, so it’s extraordinarily unlikely that it’s going to be a significant issue for me. It will probably not happen at all, as I doubt it makes economic sense, but I think that a design update with more modern alloys in the gun’s construction (assuming that it’s not a manufacturing defect and it is an issue with running the gun hard- big assumption, here, but let’s say it is so for the sake of argument) and a DLC finish as opposed to bluing might be nice.

I could also see that a design update would “ruin” the collectibility of the gun, and that Chapuis has decided to not spend a bunch of money doing that. Especially given that possibly at most a double digit number of people this would ever effect who: have an MR73, and routinely run their guns hard enough to cause this problem, instead of just fixing it as it occurs with individual customers. They may have done with the armorer support for GIGN shooters, where this was considered normal wear and tear back when it was a regular GIGN issue gun.
    Last edited by Scal; 11-08-2021 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

I have yet to fire my MR73 as extensively and as wantonly as Jetfire, but I'll try my best to wear my 3" out (wait, that doesn't sound right...) and will report back here...

I still want one and hopefully will be able acquire it before next summer. I don’t envision shooting it as frequently as my GP100 but it would be a fun addition and probably get some time coming along for work around the farm, horseback riding, or upland hunting. Interesting point to see about refinishing it but I do loved blued guns; even though it’s a rough life for blueing in the PNW.

I think for “hard-use” Of any variety a GP100 or K/L offering would be the most logical choice; due to the more contemporary designs and the sheer amount of aftermarket support which I don’t see anytime soon for the baguette blasters.

So yeah, I want one badly and Caleb’s work only solidified that but it definitely wouldn’t be a “working” item.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

If I wanted to pound on a revolver it would be a m10 or m64 if it was for 357s then a gp100 or 686 or new k frame if I was planning on shooting a lot of .357s
    Last edited by 03RN; 11-08-2021 at 05:49 PM.

I always have second thoughts about buying any revolver, or any handgun, that costs more than a GP100. The GP100 is the benchmark for the perfect-for-me handgun. Plus, I live in a climate that is unkind to firearms. Beautiful blueing makes me hesitate, because I do not buy safe queens.

I have aged-out of fast shooting, so, would probably be unable to stress the mechanical bits, all that much.

Edited to add: I am not saying that I will not buy an MR73. The above thoughts are just that. Thoughts. The most significant psychological barrier will be the cost. I have not yet exceeded ~$2.5K, for a single firearm’s price.
    Last edited by Rex G; 11-09-2021 at 08:30 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I would rarely use it in competition, or hard-core dry fire like my Smiths.

Then again, (working on analogy[emoji848]), my 4x4 pickup w off-road package actually goes off-road regularly (in fact I just replaced the skid plate.)

If I drop $3,200 on a gun, it’s going to get rode hard & put up wet. In fact the fabled durability of the MR73 would be a major reason for the purchase.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I never had first thoughts about one. I'm not paying the entry fee just for the bragging rights and story and how much every more gooder it is than revolvers I own is probably not something I'm good enough to take advantage of anyway.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List