Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else having second thoughts on the MR73?

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I In fact the fabled durability of the MR73 would be a major reason for the purchase.
    IF I bought one that would be the only reason...end of the world type durability. If that isn't there, I don't care about how "fine" of a revolver it or anything else. The ONLY reason I would prefer this to a S&W, Colt, or Ruger is it is allegedly more durable and longer lasting. If that is not true, esp at price point, don't want.

Add me to the group. I had really wanted one when the Beretta imports were first announced. I would likely have dry fired the absolute crap out of it much more than I would be likely to actually shoot it. The idea that the gun might not survive trying to run the action quickly really cooled that fire. I’m not really interested if the legendary durability only applies to slow-fire.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I believe Caleb's issues were not due to a bad heat treat on the cylinder latch he got, but due to the geometry of the cylinder notch ramps and the latch. Probably fixable, but I'm not really interested in doing that. Also, the MR73 I've handled wasn't as smooth as my cleaned-up M&P 340. (And my GP is similar to the J, although a little stackier/clunkier in its progression.) So whoever wrote (I read it somewhere) that an out of the box MR73 was smoother than an S&W could ever be is proven wrong by guns I've held in my hands. Plus there's the serrated trigger. But the guns are beautiful.

I sold a Lipsey's GP100 when I realized it might not be possible to make it into what I wanted it to be for less than the price of an MR73. Certainly not less than the price of a clean Model 28, probably even a Model 27. The advantage of the GP over the N frames, and one of the reasons I got the Lipsey's, is it doesn't peen from rapid DA work. So really, all of those are out. I think about starting over with a stainless 5-inch GP100. But what would that really do that my GP MC wouldn't do? I can't come up with anything.

Maybe a 6-inch GP, but I have a Contender with a 10-inch MGM barrel to maximize handgun ballistics from .357M, and an 1894. Pretty well feel like I've got it covered.

If I totally lost my mind and got so committed to gaming with a six-shot .38 Special that I wanted something beyond my MC, I'd get a pair of Model 67s. But I don't see that happening.

Maybe if S&W ran some 315s again, stupid would happen.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I bought a NIB MR-73 in the summer of 2019. I hate to be the dissenting voice, but I had issues with it. This is just my experience.

Something was not right with the gun I had because sometimes when I would pull the trigger and the cylinder would lock up in the middle of turning. If I released the trigger and then pulled it again it would complete its cycle.

Next the gun seemed to be out of time, I was getting some off center primer hits and failures to detonate. It also seemed to be shaving lead.

Back at this time 2019, there was no one in the US who serviced the gun. (I am not sure how Beretta will handle any warrantee work for the guns that it sells). I could not even find a qualified gunsmith in the US who would work on the gun.

I took a very experienced revolver enthusiast friend with me and let him shoot it. He did not experience any issues with the gun. He actually witnessed me having the problems with the gun but could not replicate it when he was shooting it. He also let someone else shoot it who experienced similar problems. But it worked for him. So he now owns it.

Attached is a picture of some of the off centered primer hits that I experienced:

Name:  Manhurin off center primer strikes.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  47.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I never had first thoughts about one. I'm not paying the entry fee just for the bragging rights and story and how much every more gooder it is than revolvers I own is probably not something I'm good enough to take advantage of anyway.
    My thoughts exactly.

Speaking of the MR73, I finally got all my thoughts on the gun collected together in one place and published.

Here's the Manurhin MR73 Review

I really did enjoy shooting it, and really the only downside is I have a bunch of competition gear for K-frame sized guns and I don't own a K-frame.

Anyone want to sell me a Combat Masterpiece?

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post

Not if you're going to put a dot on it... Nyet

Anyone else having second thoughts on the MR73?

Speaking of the MR73, I finally got all my thoughts on the gun collected together in one place and published.

I really did enjoy shooting it, and really the only downside is I have a bunch of competition gear for K-frame sized guns and I don't own a K-frame.

Thanks, that’s a great write up.

If I have a “grail gun”, it is the all-round revolver. For me this would be something that can handle two and four-legged critters (the latter consisting of white tails and feral hogs), a range and some-time competition gun, and maybe CC on the rare occasion I wear a real cover garment. A medium frame .357 checks just about all the boxes. What I like to call a field gun. Accuracy is a must.

The other motivation is having spent 50 years with Smith and Ruger revolvers (plus a Dan Wesson and a couple of Colts), I’d like to try something maybe a cut above, whether custom or off the shelf.

I’m not a car guy, but I guess it would be something like going from American muscle cars to a Ferrari.
    Last edited by jtcarm; 11-10-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Site Supporter

Caleb - Thank you for the great review. Quality revolvers are highly addictive. I'm intrigued by the Korth.

My “practical” motivation to consider an MR73 is the longer-range accuracy potential. Being able to buy a well-preserved, pre-owned Freedom Arms revolvers for ~$1K less than an MR73 is going to be a factor against buying a new MR73. (I am not interested in shooting Casull-level ammo, however. I have aged-out of wanting to do that.)

Yes, of course, there is the less practical factor of, well, ‘cause GIGN, and because the first three letters of my French-ish surname are “Gig.” (It is a surname from Lorraine, which has always been French territory. The name origin is probably Germanic.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List