Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Great Shotgun vs AR talk...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    So....... With modern soft points or full copper hollow point whatever's...... A 30 round AR mag is only good for four people?

Seriously 5 to 7 rounds per person??
    If you don't get a CNS hit or a psychological stop, how many rounds can you fire at inside a home distance with an AR before you're likely to get enough visual feedback to realize you can stop shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    If you don't get a CNS hit or a psychological stop, how many rounds can you fire at inside a home distance with an AR before you're likely to get enough visual feedback to realize you can stop shooting?
    I would agree inside of home distances with the speed one can fire a rifle. I was thinking in general with a rifle where it could be used at distance and the effects of good hits would have more time to take effect.

Along those same lines with low recoil buck and a semi-automatic shotgun one would probably fire at least two to four rounds before they saw meaningful effects and the signal from the brain to stop pulling the trigger got to the extremities

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Along those same lines with low recoil buck and a semi-automatic shotgun one would probably fire at least two to four rounds before they saw meaningful effects and the signal from the brain to stop pulling the trigger got to the extremities
    "Assessment speed"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Body armor on badguys does happen, even if you’re crazy to prepare for that. Also, two carloads of badguys does happen. Getting lit up for trying to stop people breaking into cars has gotten a couple of people, including a Cop killed here in the last few years since car burglars almost always have guns, because idiots store guns in cars.

ETA: It doesn’t matter if you’re using a carbine or a shotgun if you start getting shot at by the guys in the second car that you didn’t see.

Vehicles are a large part of why I'm considering shifting my longarm focus from AR to shotgun. As I don't have no-shoots in vehicles, not being LE, the ability to deliver a lot of lead in a short period of time before I make the decision to run like hell is attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    touts his PCC which is a 2 stamp solution.
    About the same amount of money I just paid for a new 590 just for permission slips.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I have a friend who shot someone with a shotgun, with the proper load, at the proper distance. He was a Force Recon guy. He was in some shithole town in the sandbox on a roof, when Terry popped up on an adjacent roof or something similar. They both kinda surprised each other, he said. He fired 2 rounds. One into Terry, and one into the space where Terry was. Literally that pop-flop. There was no "shoot them to the ground...5-7x." It was boomdone.

Why? I think it likely one of the 00 projectiles clipped or disrupted the spine, and dropped the guy immediately, and he bled out very shortly thereafter. This is a buckshot and soft foster slug thing. Higher probability thereof. It is also why 300wm can drop animals like a boss. The TSC is large and violent enough to disrupt the spinal column and shock the cord whenbthe vertebra violently separate and return to their normal position. The animal then bleeds out before it regains its feet. This leads to the term "stopping power", because it literally IS....the round is disruptive enough to STOP something, and it bleeds out before it gets up. Now, as applies to handguns and so forth, it is rather misused, by and large.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    This leads to the term "stopping power", because it literally IS....the round is disruptive enough to STOP something, and it bleeds out before it gets up. Now, as applies to handguns and so forth, it is rather misused, by and large.
    Just yesterday, I was thinking about the chapters in The Hunting Rifle (1970) by O'Connor. He has one about how wonderfully adequate the 7x57 is, and how excellently effective the .270 Winchester is. And a chapter about how awesome the .375 H&H is if you can put the bullet in the right place.

That latter chapter is not quoted nearly as often as the others, for some reason.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Handgun calibers should probably be compared by their "pausing power".

Let's take a moment to consider...

(I like your idea.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Unless they hit the CNS, handguns in common service calibers just poke holes. Imagine them as rods of rebar slammed through someone. If they mad...they don't know until they get a little dizzy.

User Tag List