Thread: Safariland UBL Mod

Safariland UBL Mod

I'm passing this mod along for the guys that haven't seen it before.

So, I've been in a new position for several months that requires more long hours in a vehicle wearing my duty belt than I've done for several years. There are times where I wear my duty belt for 12-14 hour days with only a few minutes of that not in my truck. I've been running a Ronin belt with Safariland ALS with QLS mounted on a UBL-low ride and single leg strap. What I found was that sitting in my truck for long periods of time, the top of the UBL would dig into my side on the corners. At first it would be an annoyance. Over long hours, it would become really uncomfortable.

I've been eyeballing the True North Concepts adapter but didn't want to drop the coin, even for their occasional blems. After one particularly long Friday, I came home and told the wife that I was ordering the True North adapter that weekend. It just so happened while pursuing social media that evening, I ran across a picture of a UBL mod. It was hard to tell exactly what had been done, so I Googled it and ran across this blog post:

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/saf...ur-range-load/

After perusing the article, it was off to the races. I already had a spare Tek-Lok and plenty of extra hardware. If it didn't work out, all I would need is a new UBL to put it back together.

I figured out where I wanted to mount the Tek-Lok to the UBL and marked the holes. I drilled four holes for the Tek-Lok and then marked the areas of the UBL that I wanted to cut off with a pencil.

After a few minutes at my belt grinder, it was done. I got pretty aggressive grinding down the corner "ears" that were bothering me before. After reinstalling everything back on the belt, I was pleased with the result. It's been over a month now with multiple range days and long shifts in my vehicle with no pain. I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out. My primary goal was increased comfort, but using the Tek-Lok also allows me to remove the holster rig and wear on another belt of my choosing.

Here's some pics of how it turned out:
    Name:  20211106_181529.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  20211106_181542.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  40.4 KB

I’ve done this to a couple of the UBL adapters. It’s a good mod. I have one of the True North hangers and I prefer the UBL mod.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List