Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel's Eternals Sucked.

Hammertime

Marvel's Eternals Sucked.

Saw Eternal's last night. It sucked. It appears Disney has wokified the Marvel Franchise similar to the Star Wars, and that makes me sad.

Ensemble cast representing all races, ages (except old people), orientatations and even some disabilities.

Boring, overly long exploration of Marvel universe Mythology/ origin stories/theology and eschatology.

Had to sit through an unexpected (for a superhero movie) sex scene, and a giant male gay kiss that needed explanation later to my 13yo.

And...Yeah, the more I think about it the more I am pissed I gave my money to this franchise. My family and I are all HUGE Marvel fans. This movie has tempered that enthusiasm significantly and we will be a bit more cautious about trusting them opening night going forward.

In the end this movie is about social engineering, and picking up those Chinese and Indian viewers worldwide. I get that they want to make money and that is good, but it just wasn't entertaining.

Of course, the gay stuff will be cut for the world release.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Ensemble cast representing all races, ages (except old people)
    Jolie is in her late 40s. Hayek is in her 50s.

More boradly with Johansson in her late 30s and not being a leading lady but an actual front-and-center-star the MCU has probably done more for "women over the age of 25" in Hollywood than the rest of the industry combined. Also, Kurt Russell was in his 70s when he came back for Guardians 2.

So they're representing old people too.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Jolie is in her late 40s. Hayek is in her 50s.

More boradly with Johansson in her late 30s and not being a leading lady but an actual front-and-center-star the MCU has probably done more for "women over the age of 25" in Hollywood than the rest of the industry combined. Also, Kurt Russell was in his 70s when he came back for Guardians 2.

So they're representing old people too.

Not to mention they brought back Michelle Pfeiffer. Like I said I am generally huge MCU fan.

50 doesn't seem "old" to me any more

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Do you think? I had not thought that through, but I bet that will not fly well in China.

Not to mention they brought back Michelle Pfeiffer. Like I said I am generally huge MCU fan.

50 doesn't seem "old" to me any more
    10 years from now 60 won't either.

Time does what it does.

Do you think? I had not thought that through, but I bet that will not fly well in China.
    Absolutely, positively sure. After all, the real reason for the PG-13 recut of Deadpool II, aka Once Upon A Deadpool, was to have a version that could play in the PRC.

Hollywood has been playing frog to the PRC for a long while.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Absolutely, positively sure. After all, the real reason for the PG-13 recut of Deadpool II, aka Once Upon A Deadpool, was to have a version that could play in the PRC.

Hollywood has been playing frog to the PRC for a long while.
    Also Iron Man 3 with Stark demanding a Chinese doctor (cut in the US version).

I think a lot of direct-to-video releases here are a secondary product of trying to create a CCP-friendly vehicle for big name actors.

Let's not forget John Cena utterly debasing himself for the Chicoms over Taiwan.

Money, and lining people up against walls, talks.

In the end this movie is about social engineering, and picking up those Chinese and Indian viewers worldwide. I get that they want to make money and that is good, but it just wasn't entertaining.
    Marvel has not been making releases in China lately. The PRC's censorship is too harsh and they have been finding reasons to use it. The pandering to China that Hollywood has been doing may be tempered somewhat by this going forward.

To their credit, they have so far refused to remove it, leading to bans in gulf states.

User Tag List