Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Shotgun Capacity in Real World Use

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I don't know. Federal has been squirrely about their offerings lately, but the very first Deep Penetrators I could get my hands on were the 1,600 FPS version with the red hull. It took a while before I could find the blue-hulled "Tactical" DP's at ~ 1,300 FPS.
    3/15/2016

I haven't seen 1600fps Tru-Ball DPs in awhile.

Target Sports USA does seem to have a sizeable stock of Brennekes though, 12-gauge K.O. for ~$1/round. They even have 20-gauge Green Lightnings in stock 1-ounce @ 1400fps isn't anything to sneeze at either.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

Apparently shotguns loaded with 1600 FPS slugs will shatter foreign made level IV armor plates...and the wearer of said plate can be put on the ground by the experience long enough to allow a followup shot to the CNS that proves definitive in stopping the threat.
    When green-on-blue was having its heyday in AFG there were some investigation pictures leaked (or passed around for morale?) of the end results. One noteworthy photo was of one of the ANA attackers, in kit, that had met his end at the hands of a Brit/12ga combination. GSW photos are what they are but the sight of a center mass buckshot hit at a conversational distance was like something out of Warhammer 40K. Even if another hit hadn't flayed off part of the thigh the low A-zone chunk was probably enough to settle the matter.

As an aside, IMO, the Brits did most things, TTP-wise, in AFG better than we did and it seems that they issued shotguns at a higher rate in general. Not that the two are in any way correlated.

...and so I'll say again that if anyone in the world ever gets the notion to try and kill me, I pray to God they're fucking stupid enough to do it while I'm inside a typical residential structure when I have a shotgun handy.
    Just quoting this again for awesomeness and agreement.

Edited for clarity.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 07-25-2023 at 12:03 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I don't know. Federal has been squirrely about their offerings lately, but the very first Deep Penetrators I could get my hands on were the 1,600 FPS version with the red hull. It took a while before I could find the blue-hulled "Tactical" DP's at ~ 1,300 FPS.
    I bought some around 2015 (plus or minus, can't remember exactly when I bought them) and they were 1350 FPS. I figured that was part of the "deep penetrator" thing, in that harder alloy coupled with lower velocity would reduce deformation and penetrate deeper (something like that).

Hammertime
    In this weekend's Shotgun 360 course, we had the luxury of a couple of surplus armor plates provided by the range owner which I shot with 1600 FPS Federal PowerShok slugs. We attached them to steel targets with a void in the center using duct tape. The slugs were stopped on the plates, but especially on the thinner plate the amount of deformation that resulted would have likely proven debilitating or even fatal.

Of course, the point of the demonstration wasn't to crack the plate so much as to demonstrate to the class exactly how much energy an ounce going 1,600 FPS delivers at close range. The impact picked the steel target up and knocked the whole thing back on the ground about 6 inches from where it started.
    Physics says energy on the other side is almost exactly the same as the energy felt by the shooter's body on the butt end. Now it may be more pinpoint and not spread out by the stock, but it isn't some sort of magic.

Believe me when I say I am a fan of slugs though.

For some reason, this discussion being stick-ied, at the top, hid it from my Mister Magoo eyes, until today. Plus, I will confess to not visiting the Shotguns section as often, because so much of the new stuff has been about the Beretta 1301, which I have resolved to avoid, preferring to stick with the safety button being located at the rear of the trigger guard, as found on our several defensive/utility 870 and Benelli shotguns. (Four adults, all of whom would have to be in on the transition, and, oh, the ammo budget that would be required…) I continue to work my way through all of the posts. I am grateful for the discussion.

Still keeping a Benelli M2 most handy, for “typical residential structure” defense. It was the final duty shotgun, of my LEO-ing career.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Another police shooting:

This one is kind of a mess. Domestic violence call, the officers get the door slammed on them and enter. They're maybe a yard and a half away from the soon to be deceased. He is shot multiple times. It appears twice by a rifle and once maybe by a pistol. The deceased is kneeling down, already bleeding and screaming. But it looks like his hand goes towards the dropped weapon on the floor.

Then the officer with the 12 gauge takes his turn.

That pretty much ends the situation.
    3/15/2016

12ga to the face will generally end a situation pretty definitively. I can’t tell if it’s the 12ga officer who then yells “oh shit.”
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Another police shooting:

This one is kind of a mess. Domestic violence call, the officers get the door slammed on them and enter. They're maybe a yard and a half away from the soon to be deceased. He is shot multiple times. It appears twice by a rifle and once maybe by a pistol. The deceased is kneeling down, already bleeding and screaming. But it looks like his hand goes towards the dropped weapon on the floor.

Then the officer with the 12 gauge takes his turn.

That pretty much ends the situation.
    Background:

Dude molested his 7 yo stepdaughter, mom reported the 7 yo’s outcry to the police and moved out so dude kidnapped mom from the hotel where she was staying.

That’s some 12 gauge Karma.

The hat hitting the floor has a rather weighty sound to it. Kind of makes me think there's more than just hat in that hat.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List