Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun setup & technique

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    The reason that I eschew butt cuffs is simply that they pretty much negate using the shotgun support side. I like to have the option of transitioning shoulders dependent on what flavor corner I'm approaching.
    This, especially since RDS on a shot gun makes shooting from the “other” side easier.

It’s one of the reasons I really like RDS on the shotgun.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-06-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post

Fwiw, I want as much useable, projected light as I can get in any situation where I'm having to make Don't Shoot/Shoot decisions.
    This ^^^. IME more light let’s me see more and see it faster.

This isn’t Vietnam and “preserving my night vision” is not realistic IME.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    some of you may find this silly but it worked for me when all I had access to was a 4 shot 870 and a box of shells in the glove box (plus the 686 and 18 rounds total) (patrol rifles in the unit had not taken off in the dept I work for till 2003)

In the early 90s, I bought me a shotgun butt cuff with intentions of sliding it on a duty shotty and at 42, put it in my bag. Messing around with the butt cuff, it would slide snug on my forearm (I worked out heavy back then).

So my butt cuff was now a forearm cuff and if I took my shotty out on a call, I slid the butt cuff on my arm with 5 extra shots if I needed them.

so if you need some extra rounds that would be handy.... you pick the arm that works best for your load technique and prior to grabbing the shotty... slip on a butt cuff.

if too sloppy on the arm, break out the sewing machine to tighten it up a bit.

I am going to buy me a butt cuff and keep it near my 1301.
    I good friend of mine is a deputy in Virginia and he has a pair of forearm shell cuffs that he dons when needs must. He's shown up on scene more than once and the sight of his M2 SBS with his arms covered in spare shells has ended the standoff right then and there.

Out of curiosity, what's the most rounds anyone has ever heard of being expended in a gunfight by someone using a shotgun?

I know, "Stakes not odds", but I can only think of Cirillo et al shooting one guy 4 or 5 times and Mireles shooting dry a cruiser loaded 870.

Across 28 years in my agency it was onesies. A couple of years ago a guy south of the border somewhere smoked 3 home invaders. The pic circulated a while on the gunboards.

It was...impressive.

So I’m still curious about technique.

What’s the “proper” method of loading from a side saddle? Butt cuff?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Something here starting at 8:00. Thoughts? Appears to be discussion on both butt cuff and sidesaddle loading

I will say that instinctively I like the idea of the brass-up shell(s) at the front of the side saddle, but also seems like once you add an optic that’s less optimal (like racking an ak bolt over the top becomes less ideal post-optic-add, and why I always rolled ejection port down with the ak to charge). It also seems to me that going over the top results in a list shell if you miss the port whereas going under would mean catching it. Not sure which is worse though, dropping and moving on or catching and fiddle-farting. Although I suppose there’s a scenario where you drop it and don’t realize it, which seems maybe even worse than fiddle-fart…

I kinda think I just answered my own question on that front. If loading into an open port from the side, going under seems preferable. Also seems an easy technique to teach/practice on the clays course with no detriment to either these game or the tactical.

Also seems, to me anyway, that the more places you add shells the more confusion can set in, requiring more practice to be confident in the manipulations.

I’m liking the idea of only having shells in one location, and only having brass in one orientation, as of this writing.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Something here starting at 8:00. Thoughts? Appears to be discussion on both butt cuff and sidesaddle loading

I will say that instinctively I like the idea of the brass-up shell(s) at the front of the side saddle, but also seems like once you add an optic that’s less optimal (like racking an ak bolt over the top becomes less ideal post-optic-add, and why I always rolled ejection port down with the ak to charge).

Also seems, to me anyway, that the more places you add shells the more confusion can set in, requiring more practice to be confident in the manipulations.

I’m liking the idea of only having shells in one location, and only having brass in one orientation, as of this writing.

We all have different ideas, wants and needs.

I practice and prefer having the option of both locations. I really don't see it as being too overwhelming or confusing. That's why you practice to the point where it because second nature and you do it and transition from one to the other without thinking about it. This is why people run drills, mock scenarios, and practice, practice, practice, otherwise you're jsut selling yourself short. Try it both ways mounting a shot card to the side saddle and/or butt stock, try it with brass up or brass down, etc. Instead of having others tell you what they think is the best way try it and see what works best for your set up, your situation and your own personal preference because none of it is wrong if it works for you.I'd also be very wary of anyone who says that there isn only one way or that there way is the best way. Those are the individuals you should steer clear from.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    some of you may find this silly but it worked for me when all I had access to was a 4 shot 870 and a box of shells in the glove box (plus the 686 and 18 rounds total) (patrol rifles in the unit had not taken off in the dept I work for till 2003)

In the early 90s, I bought me a shotgun butt cuff with intentions of sliding it on a duty shotty and at 42, put it in my bag. Messing around with the butt cuff, it would slide snug on my forearm (I worked out heavy back then).

So my butt cuff was now a forearm cuff and if I took my shotty out on a call, I slid the butt cuff on my arm with 5 extra shots if I needed them.

so if you need some extra rounds that would be handy.... you pick the arm that works best for your load technique and prior to grabbing the shotty... slip on a butt cuff.

if too sloppy on the arm, break out the sewing machine to tighten it up a bit.

I am going to buy me a butt cuff and keep it near my 1301.
    I used to use a butt cuff in a similar manner when I was shooting shotgun matches back in the 00’s. I used it on my left arm. One nice thing was that with shells on the inside of the forearm, brass down when you rolled the gun over for a violin reload you had extra ammo right there by the loading port.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManClemens View Post
    We all have different ideas, wants and needs.

I practice and prefer having the option of both locations. I really don't see it as being too overwhelming or confusing. That's why you practice to the point where it because second nature and you do it and transition from one to the other without thinking about it. This is why people run drills, mock scenarios, and practice, practice, practice, otherwise you're jsut selling yourself short. Try it both ways mounting a shot card to the side saddle and/or butt stock, try it with brass up or brass down, etc. Instead of having others tell you what they think is the best way try it and see what works best for your set up, your situation and your own personal preference because none of it is wrong if it works for you.I'd also be very wary of anyone who says that there isn only one way or that there way is the best way. Those are the individuals you should steer clear from.
    I think maybe you don’t understand how internut forums work.

As explained to you elsewhere, you’re new. Maybe take a minute and see how things work here.

And who is who.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think maybe you don’t understand how internut forums work.

As explained to you elsewhere, you’re new. Maybe take a minute and see how things work here.

And who is who.
    I'm tired of being lectured by you on here in any thread I post in. Was just trying to offer advice. You seem to think you know everything and nobody else can have an opinion or post their experience. What makes you the be all, end all opinion on everything? Are you upset because my reply to you in other threads when you came after me got likes and support from other members and you're now butt-hurt because I'm new around here (something you keep bringing up so it's obviously a sore subject for you)? There was nothing wrong with my response to the member above and nothing was offensive, or judging anyone, but you seem to take offense at anything I say and think I'm personally singling you out. Sounds liek you have some personal issues you need to address with yourself and realize that nobody is out to get you and you're not the one everyone is talking about or referring to all the time. All I said was to experiment and find what works best for them in their situation and the more you experiment and practice the better.
    Last edited by OldManClemens; 11-07-2021 at 09:07 AM.

User Tag List