Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun setup & technique

Shotgun setup & technique

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    load from his butt cuff takes a bit longer than from my side saddle.
    I'm glad you mentioned that...

I was curious if anyone had put the two techniques on the clock, both in terms of loading through the port and loading through the lifter?

Ignoring (maybe a lot) around what is in this video and focusing on the manipulation techniques, is this the "correct" method of loading from a butt cuff?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Tom's setup is solid.

His house is only dark if the power is out, and all approaches to the place where the people sleep are going to be open and well lit, giving him a free fire zone so he doesn't really need the light on his gun. It's unlikely Tom is going to empty that shotgun and still have bad guys around who are in a condition to press hostilities.
    I love his setup but I'm always going to run a light. I'm not so wealthy as to have a gun for every possible situation so my 1301 Tactical has to pull double duty; it's also my woods gun mostly for camp. The woods of Montana and Idaho can be very dark at night and I can't count on bears to only pop in from 9 to 5. A woman drug out of her tent in the middle of the night and killed by a grizzly in Orvo this summer not far from one of my favorite areas to camp.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Cāmara

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I love his setup but I'm always going to run a light. I'm not so wealthy as to have a gun for every possible situation so my 1301 Tactical has to pull double duty; it's also my woods gun mostly for camp. The woods of Montana and Idaho can be very dark at night and I can't count on bears to only pop in from 9 to 5. A woman drug out of her tent in the middle of the night and killed by a grizzly in Orvo this summer not far from one of my favorite areas to camp.
    Same. My thought has always been that a super bright light is a non-lethal weapon/dazzler device on a firearm. Wanna know what someone who gets ~1000 lumens and god knows how many candela to their eyes *isn't* going to be doing? Aiming straight, even if they have the ability to bring whatever weapon they might have to bear in your general direction.

Tom's setup is solid.

His house is only dark if the power is out, and all approaches to the place where the people sleep are going to be open and well lit, giving him a free fire zone so he doesn't really need the light on his gun. It's unlikely Tom is going to empty that shotgun and still have bad guys around who are in a condition to press hostilities.

Tom's gun is a perfect example of someone who understands what the shotgun is good at setting one up for his specific environment.

I prefer a side saddle to a butt cuff, but in practical reality Tom isn't going to get kilt in da streetz because a load from his butt cuff takes a bit longer than from my side saddle.
    If anyone is surprised by one of (if not the) formost firearms ciriculum creator had a shotgun setup that makes sense for him... then I don't know what to say.

On my hunting shotguns I've always used to run a butt cuff. My 1301 has a side saddle saddle. I mostly look at them as being for topping off, but I have no formal training on social shotgun use and could be off base.
    Last edited by Cory; 11-05-2021 at 04:53 PM.

Banned
    Why can't you run both and have a shot card on the receiver and stock?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManClemens View Post
    Why can't you run both and have a shot card on the receiver and stock?
    Seems like extreme overkill for anything other than a class where you want to keep rounds handy for the 20th straight reload drill.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    Seems like extreme overkill for anything other than a class where you want to keep rounds handy for the 20th straight reload drill.
    I'd rather have the option to do either or and experiment with both options. All it takes is a 50 cent piece of velcro, some alcohol preps to get the surface ready and about 1 minute to install. Also much easier to reload (especially if you're in a class) than a fixed butt cuff (especially if you like to violin load).

Interesting how many will have a chest rig loaded with several 30 round AR mags, but then debate on whether a 2+ extension on a shotgun is "too much" over a 1+ extension. To each their own!

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    Your choice, but if you need your shotgun in the middle of the night, the ammo you have on it is likely all you have. You have a vote in the fight, but so does the bad guy. Since the ammo fairy is Murphy's bitch, she's never there when you need her. I'd rather have ammo left over (no such thing as too much) than wish I had one more shell. I prefer the card on the stock as well, but because I don't like things interfering with and irritating my grip, I put a shorter card on the butt. Currently a 6 rd, but I may drop down to a 5. I need to work with it more.

Just for efficiency's sake, if I'm doing a tactical reload, i.e. no immediate threats but I want to top off the magazine in case more show up, I will use the buttstock. It takes longer to acquire and move shells from the butt to the magazine than it does to get them from side saddle. Side saddle is used for more time urgent reloads or when the butt is depleted.

With regards to 1,000 lumens dazzling your opponent and making it difficult for him to aim, that's true. But don't assume he's alone and leave your light on longer than needed. Light on, shoot, light off, move, and then assess whether he's still a threat and whether there are more that need service too. The safest practice is to assume there is more than one until you've determined that he was alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsai View Post
    Your choice, but if you need your shotgun in the middle of the night, the ammo you have on it is likely all you have. You have a vote in the fight, but so does the bad guy. Since the ammo fairy is Murphy's bitch, she's never there when you need her. I'd rather have ammo left over (no such thing as too much) than wish I had one more shell. I prefer the card on the stock as well, but because I don't like things interfering with and irritating my grip, I put a shorter card on the butt. Currently a 6 rd, but I may drop down to a 5. I need to work with it more.

Just for efficiency's sake, if I'm doing a tactical reload, i.e. no immediate threats but I want to top off the magazine in case more show up, I will use the buttstock. It takes longer to acquire and move shells from the butt to the magazine than it does to get them from side saddle. Side saddle is used for more time urgent reloads or when the butt is depleted.

With regards to 1,000 lumens dazzling your opponent and making it difficult for him to aim, that's true. But don't assume he's alone and leave your light on longer than needed. Light on, shoot, light off, move, and then assess whether he's still a threat and whether there are more that need service too. The safest practice is to assume there is more than one until you've determined that he was alone.
    I agree with all of this. Also, that 1,000 lumen light may also be a detriment for the person with the light. Once that light goes off it's going to take quite a while for your eyes to readjust, even if your in low light it's going to take a bit for your eyes to readjust. That's valuable time that may cost you your life. I ten to favor lower lumen lights for that reason.

There's not as much blowback from a 1k lumen light than you'd think - I've got experience with the TLR-1HL, HL-X, and now the REIN, and even with white walls, it doesn't blind me, even after I've let my eyes adjust to a dark room.

Now, if you've got glass or plastic-framed pictures or mirrors around, *those* can present issues. Shining a high-lumen light out of a glass window is also not a smart idea.

User Tag List