Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You can't always trust barrel markings

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If I recall correctly.308/7.62 NATO is the reverse of .223/5.56mm in that .308 is the higher pressure load.
    I'm not sure, and a quick Google search doesn't clear things up.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Most of my ARs have a BA barrel branded one way or the other, always been curious to see how they would do when bore scoped. My 20" Wilson barreled AR outshoots everything else in the safe but it's not a terribly fair comparison. Never been tempted to get into the Krieger stratosphere, seems like the money spent there would be better spent with more practice at least certainly in my case.

If I recall correctly.308/7.62 NATO is the reverse of .223/5.56mm in that .308 is the higher pressure load.
    Correct. The 308 Winchester also has tighter chamber dimensions.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    My 20" Wilson barreled AR outshoots everything else in the safe but it's not a terribly fair comparison.
    Curious whether that's Wilson Combat or just Wilson.

JM Campbell has had good experience with Faxon.
    I got two unserviceable barrels in a row from Faxon. Obviously bad just by looking at them, didn't need a borescope or magnification to see the problems. The second one, which was a warranty replacement for the first one, was even worse. Their customer service initially was utter crap, as in I couldn't get a response out of them for a month, until I posted about it here and LL shook some trees that got a boss to go in the c.s. guy's office and ask him WTF. I don't think he's a bad guy, I just think they ship so many problems out the door that their c.s. people can't possibly keep up with the complaints. Will not use again.

I've been reluctant to try BA because they live in the same price point region as Faxon.

I've been pleased with the machining work on barrels from AR-15 Performance, Criterion, and Wilson Combat. In particular, I was able to get the Criterion barrel for only about $50 more than the Faxon failboat after I gave up on them. The Criterion is a muuuch nicer product.

-----------------

SAAMI specs are here: https://saami.org/technical-informat...mber-drawings/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

I got two unserviceable barrels in a row from Faxon. Obviously bad just by looking at them, didn't need a borescope or magnification to see the problems. The second one, which was a warranty replacement for the first one, was even worse. Their customer service initially was utter crap, as in I couldn't get a response out of them for a month, until I posted about it here and LL shook some trees that got a boss to go in the c.s. guy's office and ask him WTF. I don't think he's a bad guy, I just think they ship so many problems out the door that their c.s. people can't possibly keep up with the complaints. Will not use again.

I've been reluctant to try BA because they live in the same price point region as Faxon.

I've been pleased with the machining work on barrels from AR-15 Performance, Criterion, and Wilson Combat. In particular, I was able to get the Criterion barrel for only about $50 more than the Faxon failboat after I gave up on them. The Criterion is a muuuch nicer product.
    Wilson Combat and Criterion are great but not budget barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

-----------------

SAAMI specs are here: https://saami.org/technical-informat...mber-drawings/
    Just Wilson.

Yes, that is correct.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Most of my ARs have a BA barrel branded one way or the other, always been curious to see how they would do when bore scoped. My 20" Wilson barreled AR outshoots everything else in the safe but it's not a terribly fair comparison. Never been tempted to get into the Krieger stratosphere, seems like the money spent there would be better spent with more practice at least certainly in my case.
    My Krieger barreled upper is probably the most accurate upper I have ever shot.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    My Krieger barreled upper is probably the most accurate upper I have ever shot.
    I have no doubt - but in my hands the difference between a Krieger and a WOA barrel probably is close to 0! Given my relatively novice abilities at shooting longer range, the difference in price is far better invested on ammo so that I can practice to the point where that may change...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Wilson Combat and Criterion are great but not budget barrels.
    I would have thought that before I spent six months and many, many hours screwing around with Faxon with nothing to show for it. The Criterion I bought instead was only ~$50 more. Still seems like a deal to me.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List