Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You can't always trust barrel markings

You can't always trust barrel markings

I see this mostly with cheaper barrels that don't have manufactures markings.

Here is a barrel of unknown manufacture clearly marked ".223 WYLDE".

However, if fails the PTG .223 WYLDE function gauge.

It also fails the PTG 5.56 gauge.

It did however pass the standard .223 gauge.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Most AR barrels are junk.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Most AR barrels are junk.
    What AR barrel makers do you trust?

Pretty much Colt and Daniel Defense if you’re interested in a 5.56 chamber and a gas port for 5.56 ammo.

There’s a few others that are good but that’s about all I’ve found that’s somewhat available.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    I see this mostly with cheaper barrels that don't have manufactures markings.

Here is a barrel of unknown manufacture clearly marked ".223 WYLDE".

However, if fails the PTG .223 WYLDE function gauge.

It also fails the PTG 5.56 gauge.

It did however pass the standard .223 gauge.

Interesting.

Still have any of the Ballistic Advantage barrels floating around? I wonder how one of those would do in your tests.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Interesting.

Still have any of the Ballistic Advantage barrels floating around? I wonder how one of those would do in your tests.

The one BA barrel I have left, marked 5.56, passed the 5.56mm gauge.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    The one BA barrel I have left, marked 5.56, passed the 5.56mm gauge.
    That's cool. At least we know there's maybe one budget option that's actually what it is supposed to be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    That's cool. At least we know there's maybe one budget option that's actually what it is supposed to be.

BA and Rasco would be good budget options.

Other options:

SOLGW “combat” barrels are made to their spec by BA.

Expo Arms barrels are a “house brand” for a primary Arms and are made for PA by Rasco.

@JM Campbell has had good experience with Faxon.

A couple of years ago, I bought a Remington 700 ADL in 308. It shot ~MOA with several cheap factory loads and a bit better with handloads. When I had the barrel cut to 22" last year, the gunsmith called to tell me that the bolt almost closed on a 308 No Go gauge but would not close on a 7.62 NATO No Go gauge. In his opinion, it was actually chambered for 7.62 NATO. He ground 0.005” off of the recoil lug, turning it into a 308 Winchester chamber as marked.

He also told me that most Remingtons marked ".308 Winchester" actually have 7.62 NATO chambers. Not sure how consistent that is, but I offer it for consideration.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    A couple of years ago, I bought a Remington 700 ADL in 308. It shot ~MOA with several cheap factory loads and a bit better with handloads. When I had the barrel cut to 22" last year, the gunsmith called to tell me that the bolt almost closed on a 308 No Go gauge but would not close on a 7.62 NATO No Go gauge. In his opinion, it was actually chambered for 7.62 NATO. He ground 0.005” off of the recoil lug, turning it into a 308 Winchester chamber as marked.

He also told me that most Remingtons marked ".308 Winchester" actually have 7.62 NATO chambers. Not sure how consistent that is, but I offer it for consideration.

Okie John
    If I recall correctly.308/7.62 NATO is the reverse of .223/5.56mm in that .308 is the higher pressure load.

User Tag List