Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Used S&W 4516-1

$300 isn't a bad price, but finding S&W magazines for the Model 4516's is becoming a quest. I haven't seen any new magazines for the 4516 in a while, used one's go for $50-$80 each. Promag makes new ones, but they are junk in my opinion.
    I have a 4516-2, it works fine, but I wouldn't say it was enjoyable to shoot, its pretty heavy for a single stack. The 4506 would probably be better, but you won't find one of those in the $300-$400 dollar range.

I'd be all over that, even without a mag.
    And Everygunpart has mags for about $70 a pop.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by 3wire View Post
    $300 isn't a bad price, but finding S&W magazines for the Model 4516's is becoming a quest. I haven't seen any new magazines for the 4516 in a while, used one's go for $50-$80 each. Promag makes new ones, but they are junk in my opinion.
    I have a 4516-2, it works fine, but I wouldn't say it was enjoyable to shoot, its pretty heavy for a single stack. The 4506 would probably be better, but you won't find one of those in the $300-$400 dollar range.
    Thanks for the report. I figure that a small gun like that is for carrying, not shooting. I'll hold off for a full size.

I love my pair of 4506s, they're two of the last guns I'll part with. I stocked up on mags when I could find them for forty bucks. Now that I have 40+, I think I'm good. I've accumulated a cache of spare parts but the thing is, nothing usually breaks, unless you're a compulsive futzer. The side plate is admittedly chinsy, but it's fine unless you're a ham handed fumble fingers. The trigger play spring is unnecessary to the function of the pistol. Both of my pistols have broken TP springs and it makes no difference in shooting. If you shoot them, clean them occasionally and keep them lubed they're remarkably trouble free.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    My local cop shop has a 4516-1 for sale, but without a magazine, for $300. Should I get it? It’s an average police trade-in, not too scratched up, but with a little rust/chuzz in some of the grooves in the frame.

I think it’s a good deal, but how good of a shooter is the 4516-1? If it was full size, like a 4506 or 645, I’d jump on it. But I’m looking for a shooter or range gun, not a carry piece that compromises shoot ability for ease of carry.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great price, and excellent shooter. I am very fond of mine.

User Tag List