Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to find your Red Dot - Going Tactical with Mike Seeklander

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes but full extending the arms as a default has a down side. IME many of my co-workers and other shooters associate fully extended arms with literally "punching out" the gun which introduces momentum issues like a spring going "boing!"
    Ron Avery's (RIP) videos, gifted from a mentor, mentioned "punching out" as more like the speed/pressure of pressing a doorbell. Avoiding the "tuning fork" effect as the muzzle bounces as you hit full extension.

The whole "you must learn to take your time in a hurry" thing...

pat

I don’t do a press-out with irons or RDS. Straight from holster to index. @Mr_White calls it a J draw, I think.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I don’t do a press-out with irons or RDS. Straight from holster to index. @Mr_White calls it a J draw, I think.
    You have most of your work and development from irons, right?

There are times and threads here on pistol-forum in which the Signal to Noise ratio is high indeed.

This is one of those times.

I really appreciate everyone's input, but in particular, @HCM, @GJM, @Clusterfrack and @Erik Gelhaus. Those are solid posts. I especially liked how @JCS put it, succinctly: "The greatest tool we have is our brains."

I have been messing around with dots since last July when I bought a G34+507c, and went through a couple carry gun options. Meanwhile, I'd put off buying the Steve Anderson books (meh - just another Dry Practice book) when on a whim I picked up "Get to Work" in September. My head exploded. It was like he was talking to me ("stuck in C class? Want to be in A class? It's about points per second. So get to work. Here's how.") I ended up buying the other two books, plus the Lenny Bassham mindset book. I completely overhauled my approach, from an online "Training Journal", to an offline, multiple file format, "Performance Journal". I've done an average of 27 minutes a day, dry, every day, in October. For November, today being the 11th, I'm at an average of 47 minutes, every day. I'm alternating the first Core Classifier drills in R&R, with the Match Skill drills. On alternate days I do his plate rack drills. Every other day or so I dry shoot the Gabe's Performance Standards at the Light Pin level.

I can absolutely say that my index, out of the holster, is vastly improved than when I started on this phase in early October. And my par times are working steadily downward. First "real" outdoor USPSA match in CO under this program is early December. Should be interesting.

Back to this thread, I wholeheartedly agree, learning to index the dot isn't something you necessarily need an "instructor" to teach you, if you are willing to put in the work, and let your mind shot call as you do. You just need to work your butt off.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I especially liked how @JCS put it, succinctly: "The greatest tool we have is our brains."

I have been messing around with dots since last July when I bought a G34+507c, and went through a couple carry gun options. Meanwhile, I'd put off buying the Steve Anderson books (meh - just another Dry Practice book) when on a whim I picked up "Get to Work" in September. My head exploded. It was like he was talking to me ("stuck in C class? Want to be in A class? It's about points per second. So get to work. Here's how.") I ended up buying the other two books, plus the Lenny Bassham mindset book. I completely overhauled my approach, from an online "Training Journal", to an offline, multiple file format, "Performance Journal". I've done an average of 27 minutes a day, dry, every day, in October. For November, today being the 11th, I'm at an average of 47 minutes, every day. I'm alternating the first Core Classifier drills in R&R, with the Match Skill drills. On alternate days I do his plate rack drills. Every other day or so I dry shoot the Gabe's Performance Standards at the Light Pin level.

I can absolutely say that my index, out of the holster, is vastly improved than when I started on this phase in early October. And my par times are working steadily downward. First "real" outdoor USPSA match in CO under this program is early December. Should be interesting.

Back to this thread, I wholeheartedly agree, learning to index the dot isn't something you necessarily need an "instructor" to teach you, if you are willing to put in the work, and let your mind shot call as you do. You just need to work your butt off.
    Holy Shit. The world is coming to an end.

Are you saying that introspection with an open mind plus books / video plus putting in the work is yielding more results than multiple classes that didn’t teach you how to learn or practice?!!!!!

Unpossible!

No seriously, congrats on seeing the light man. I’m confident you’ll see real gains when you go back to shooting.

No amount of mental masturbation and journaling will substitute for putting the work in.

Kudos on breaking free.

User Tag List