Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to find your Red Dot - Going Tactical with Mike Seeklander

Here's another one on finding the dot.

https://youtu.be/8_opyuuMw1Y

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    No disrespect intended, but he lost me at "use your BUIS to find the dot."
    Yeah. I just did a podcast explaining why you don't look for the irons first - which the host had been pushing in the previous episode.

Thanks for expanding on the peripheral vision thing @GearFondler & @HCM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Yeah. I just did a podcast explaining why you don't look for the irons first - which the host had been pushing in the previous episode.
    https://gunsmagazine.com/podcast/how...dRAXTYtVM4HyBA

Recurring themes in recent PMO-specific training:

If the irons are any part of your dot presentation, just use the irons. You've given up the benefits of the dot.
    When learning the dot, a gun without irons is helpful. No system mingling, no training wheel.
    If you lose the dot and need a shot, it may be faster and adequate to revert to an alternative sighting/index method rather than continue to hunt the dot.
    Presentation and correct dot indexing is a dry skill. If it's still a problem, that's about you - not the PMO. No excuses.
    Last edited by ST911; 11-07-2021 at 02:20 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

If I am not seeing the dot, fully extending my arms almost always makes the dot appear.

If you think about the long gun, the dot is attached to a long, rigid thing. With a handgun, your arms have to take the become the long, rigid thing. When your arms are not extended, the dot can be off in any direction depending upon how you are gripping.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If I am not seeing the dot, fully extending my arms almost always makes the dot appear.

If you think about the long gun, the dot is attached to a long, rigid thing. With a handgun, your arms have to take the become the long, rigid thing. When your arms are not extended, the dot can be off in any direction depending upon how you are gripping.
    Yes but full extending the arms as a default has a down side. IME many of my co-workers and other shooters associate fully extended arms with literally "punching out" the gun which introduces momentum issues like a spring going "boing!"

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Yes but full extending the arms as a default has a down side. IME many of my co-workers and other shooters associate fully extended arms with literally "punching out" the gun which introduces momentum issues like a spring going "boing!"
    I am not suggesting a default shooting technique, but rather a method for finding the dot if it is not visible. The dot will often appear as you move towards extension.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    If you lose the dot and need a shot, it may be faster and adequate to revert to an alternative sighting/index method rather than continue to hunt the dot.
    Especially because your dot may very well be dead…
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    With irons-only they sit there high and proud on top of the slide and as you press out your eyes can easily see them and allow your hands to make the needed adjustments to have the pistol basically on target at the end of the draw.
    With an RDS, the sights and even the slide itself can be obscured on the draw, preventing those subconscious adjustments that you didn't even realize you were making.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This plus we think of "peripheral vision' in terms of the horizontal plane but our peripheral vison includes the vertical plane as well.

Also you can see your sights from above and can track them subconsciously as they come up into your line of sight and eventually into alignment giving you a "head start" vs the dot. You can see the optic similarly but not the dot itself which is only acquired in the last stage of the presentation. Thus most of the presentation of the dot requires you present "by faith not by sight" to steal a phrase from church going folks. You can call it proprioception if you went to college ;-0
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Exactly ... You further explained what I meant. As soon as the gun (and irons) enters your field of vision from below your hands will start making adjustments even without conscious thought, with the end result being a gun pointed at the target with sights properly aligned.
    With an RDS, not so much... You have to train your body to put the pistol where you want it.
    That all made a LOT of sense to me. I've found I present my Glock or Hellcat's iron sights quicker & FAR more consistently than I can on my PDP with the RedDot. I definitely need to practice presentation with THAT pistol a lot more.

User Tag List