Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vice Block for AR Muzzle Device Installation?

Back in front of the computer, can reply better.
    I would urge you not to be tempted to use something like this:
    Name:  careful.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  11.4 KB
    It is not that hard to rip the pins through the upper. I have one to use for stuff like clamping my long 26" upper in a vice while I clean the bore, but they are sketchy for twisting stuff. You would probably get away with it for a muzzle device, unless you don't.

One thing I have done is use a couple short pieces of automotive heater hose, slit lengthwise to cover the vice jaws (or wrap around the barrel), and that might work.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    You could probably get by with this
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019456936

But be careful about using anything that just grabs the upper by the pins.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That would work well, and the price is right.

What I like about the Geissele is it allows me to rotate the upper in any orientation like upside down when installing a gas block or on the side if I'm putting in a gas tube roll pin.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    That would work well, and the price is right.

What I like about the Geissele is it allows me to rotate the upper in any orientation like upside down when installing a gas block or on the side if I'm putting in a gas tube roll pin.
    I have the Midwest, and it has a fin, but it comes off with two screws, but I have never taken it off. I planned to, but I always just rotate the shank in the vice.

Site Supporter
    Many thanks to @mmc45414 and @5pins for all the suggestions. And to @Doc_Glock for the kind offer.
    Getting advice from guys that have done it before Is one of the best benefits of P-F.
    Looks like I need to get a bench vice, or better yet figure out which of my friends has a vice.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    You could probably get by with this
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019456936
    In spite of my earlier recommendation, I don't own a reaction rod yet. I have built several uppers with the Wheeler version of the receiver block linked above, and it works fine. The only issue is the clamping surface is narrower than the button on a forward assist, so you need to use an extra piece of wood or something so you don't put a flat on the FA and possibly bend or damage the FA or receiver with the vise. Or maybe use a vise that has jaws shorter than 8 inches so you can have the barrel nut on one side and the FA button on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Many thanks to @mmc45414 and @5pins for all the suggestions. And to @Doc_Glock for the kind offer.
    Getting advice from guys that have done it before Is one of the best benefits of P-F.
    Looks like I need to get a bench vice, or better yet figure out which of my friends has a vice.
    Several of your friends probably have vices, and that can be fun, but it would be more useful to find out which ones have a vise.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

During quarentine some people learned a second language. I worked on AR-15s... [emoji41][emoji106]

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    In spite of my earlier recommendation, I don't own a reaction rod yet. I have built several uppers with the Wheeler version of the receiver block linked above, and it works fine. The only issue is the clamping surface is narrower than the button on a forward assist, so you need to use an extra piece of wood or something so you don't put a flat on the FA and possibly bend or damage the FA or receiver with the vise. Or maybe use a vise that has jaws shorter than 8 inches so you can have the barrel nut on one side and the FA button on the other.

Several of your friends probably have vices, and that can be fun, but it would be more useful to find out which ones have a vise.
    That one took me a minute… yes, some of them have original and entertaining vices, but that probably is unrelated to the likelihood of vise ownership.

Hammertime

Bench vise should be number one priority! That solves a lot of problems without the rod even.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    And if you have a bench vise, you can flip your (flattop) upper sideways and clamp it between two blocks of wood. No professional is going to recommend this, but...it's probably fine for muzzle devices.

I use this BEV Block from Magpul.

https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori...obal_color=118

It has the advantage that you can flip it over and use it as a holder while working on lowers.

It does require that you pull the bolt out of the BCG and use the BCG to help lock in the upper to it. Doesn't work for 308 AR-10 type uppers.

The $50 price is nice.

Gringop
    Last edited by gringop; 11-08-2021 at 02:57 PM.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

User Tag List