Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vice Block for AR Muzzle Device Installation?

Vice Block for AR Muzzle Device Installation?

What kind of vice block is appropriate for muzzle device installs? In doing some reading on other forums, it seems like a regular vice block might not be good, because it's too far from the torque point and some suggest putting the vise on the barrel near the muzzle, using leather or something to protect it.

Giseelie reaction rod If the upper is installed.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

The upper is installed on the barrel. This tool seems interesting. Is there any thing else I should consider or is this it?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021330574?pid=584099

Discussed in other threads. Locks into the upper receiver as well as the barrel.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021330574?pid=584099

Discussed in other threads. Locks into the upper receiver as well as the barrel.
    That's what I use.

It's just a muzzle device - you shouldn't have to go full gorilla to get it timed. Even so, a pack of shims might help for piece of mind.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    That's what I use.

It's just a muzzle device - you shouldn't have to go full gorilla to get it timed. Even so, a pack of shims might help for piece of mind.
    I haven’t done a muzzle device before, but have two SF3Ps to put on 300 BLK uppers after I remove the existing birdcage devices… the 3Ps come with shims and threadlocker.
    Do I need / should I use a device like the Midway tool?
    I was kind of imagining just having my son hold the gun on the workbench while I used a wrench on the muzzle device. Is that not a good plan?

Serious question. Otherwise I need to order from Midway. Geissele is quite expensive and also out of stock (seems very common for Geissele these days).

ETA: it seems this is only for 5.56, or at least not for .308. Now not sure if it would help for 300 BLK uppers from Aero and PSA.
    Any input appreciated.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 11-05-2021 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    ETA: it seems this is only for 5.56, or at least not for .308. Now not sure if it would help for 300 BLK uppers from Aero and PSA.
    You will be good. It just grabs the barrel extension and does not engage the bore.
    But would not work for AR-10.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    You will be good. It just grabs the barrel extension and does not engage the bore.
    But would not work for AR-10.
    Thanks- but is it important for just doing a muzzle device? Two, actually.
    I don’t imagine it’s something I’ll need to do more than every couple years, at most.

Hammertime
    I don’t imagine it’s something I’ll need to do more than every couple years, at most.
    It makes the replacement trivial. I was happy to have it. You might get by with the receiver in a vice but then you put torque on the receiver. I have a Reaction Rod I would be happy to ship you if you just want it for this install.

The Surefire shim kits work pretty well. I just did one. I was intimidated by this install, but it went very well, just follow the directions.

The Midway tool is better than the Reaction Rod and I would just buy the thing if I were you.

Edit: Actually I like the Midwest Industries Rod better: $104

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...d-p/mi-urr.htm

You could probably get by with this
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019456936

But be careful about using anything that just grabs the upper by the pins.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

User Tag List