Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rimfire Rifles: What and Why?

There are multiple ways (firearms, calibers)to get into learning how to shoot. The difference is in the cost. Both for ammo and the firearms.
    One of the cheapest ways to shoot is with pellet guns. Pellets are powered by air. You have guns that you cock once and they compress a certain amount of air internally to drive the pellet. There are also guns that you can use scuba tanks to charge. They are called pre charged.(PCP) they can be pretty powerfull close to the rimfire cartridge .22lr.
    Quality varies from gun to gun and of course the higher the quality the higher the cost typically. Some people like to tinker and will take a less expensive gun and make it into a much nicer gun.
    I have a buddy who professionally modifies airguns to make them more powerful and more accurate and he has customers from Africa. The advantage of airguns for places that are very restrictive about firearms is that they are usually easier to obtain and the pellets are a lot less expensive than powder driven bullets.
    I asked him and he said a good website is Gateway to Airguns.
    The main thing is to learn the fundamentals of marksmanship. The fundamentals dont change from one firearm type to another. Just google “fundamentals of marksmanship”.
    Good luck its a lot of fun and can be a lifetime pursuit.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    There are multiple ways (firearms, calibers)to get into learning how to shoot. The difference is in the cost. Both for ammo and the firearms.
    One of the cheapest ways to shoot is with pellet guns. Pellets are powered by air. You have guns that you cock once and they compress a certain amount of air internally to drive the pellet. There are also guns that you can use scuba tanks to charge. They are called pre charged.(PCP) they can be pretty powerfull close to the rimfire cartridge .22lr.
    Quality varies from gun to gun and of course the higher the quality the higher the cost typically. Some people like to tinker and will take a less expensive gun and make it into a much nicer gun.
    I have a buddy who professionally modifies airguns to make them more powerful and more accurate and he has customers from Africa. The advantage of airguns for places that are very restrictive about firearms is that they are usually easier to obtain and the pellets are a lot less expensive than powder driven bullets.
    I asked him and he said a good website is Gateway to Airguns.
    The main thing is to learn the fundamentals of marksmanship. The fundamentals dont change from one firearm type to another. Just google “fundamentals of marksmanship”.
    Good luck its a lot of fun and can be a lifetime pursuit.
    Not sure about SA some places both outside and inside the USA air guns are also regulated like firearms.

Site Supporter
    For the OP:

.22 caliber rim fire ammunition such as the common .22 Long Rifle is also chambered in pistols for the same reasons as rifles - cheap practice with minimal recoil and blast.

Glock offers the Glock 44 pistol, a .22 rim fire version of the Glock 19. It will fit the same holsters as a Glock 19 or your Glock 19X.

Several companies also offer .22 rimfire “conversion kits” which fit the Glock 19X and Glock 45. These consist of a complete slide and magazines which allow you to shoot .22 rimfire when combined with your 19X frame.

Not sure about the gun laws in SA, but .22 rimfire conversion kits are popular in many countries because they often allow one to shoot .22 rimfire without going through the bother of buying another firearm.

If you were to get a .22 rimfire rifle, a pistol conversion kit for your Glock would be a logical choice since the use the same ammunition.

Popular brands of .22 caliber Glock conversion kits here in the USA are Advantage Arms (AA) and TacSol (Tactical Solutions).

.22 rimfire silencers can also be used on both 22 rifles and 22 pistols.

Site Supporter
    @BigT

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not sure about SA some places both outside and inside the USA air guns are also regulated like firearms.
    I know that some of his international customers thats about their only option. He told me there are airgun builders that have airguns that will kill American Buffalo, thats pretty impressive power. I know his conversion to shoot bullets on a Marauder is pretty impressive. And its got an un regulated shroud that makes it pretty quite straight from the mfg that can also be improved. I wouldnt hesitate to take a deer with one as long as I had a clean shot. Theres a discussion going on about silenced . 22s now in another thread. I think the air gun is an option that could be considered in certain scenarios.

To the OP the match you went to with all the high dollar equipment while it may seem ridiculous to the uninformed observer its really just a product of that level of competition. To be competitive at that level thats the cost. Im sure you can find matches that have less expensive equipment requirements. It really just depends what kind of competition the shooter wants to be involved in. Competition can be anywhere from Olympic level to some guys getting togather on a farm to have a friendly match. You cant buy skill but you can buy equipment. Its up to the shooter to learn the skills to be competitive at whatever level they want to shoot. Thats part of what makes it so fun to participate in whatever discipline floats your boat.
    The mastering of the fundamentals along with experience will allow you to do well in whatever activity you choose.
    Last edited by UNK; 11-07-2021 at 01:07 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I know that some of his international customers thats about their only option. He told me there are airgun builders that have airguns that will kill American Buffalo, thats pretty impressive power. I know his conversion to shoot bullets on a Marauder to shoot bullets is pretty impressive. And its got an un regulated shroud that makes it pretty quite straight from the mfg that can also be improved.

To the OP the match you went to with all the high dollar equipment while it may seem ridiculous to the uninformed observer its really just a product of that level of competition. To be competitive at that level thats the cost. Im sure you can find matches that have less expensive equipment requirements. It really just depends what kind of competition the shooter wants to be involved in. Competition can be anywhere from Olympic level to some guys getting togather on a farm to have a friendly match. You cant buy skill but you can buy equipment. Its up to the shooter to learn the skills to be competitive at whatever level they want to shoot. Thats part of what makes it so fun to participate in whatever discipline floats your boat.
    The mastering of the fundamentals along with experience will allow you to do well in whatever activity you choose.
    That was NYCNOOB not the OP but I agree with you.

$4k worth of equipment to shoot .22 rimfire out to 200 or 300 yards may seem excessive but compared to “real” long range shooting it is comparatively cheap. It’s also much easier to find 200 and 300 yard ranges vs 1,000 yard to 1 mile ranges in most of the US.

That was NYCNOOB not the OP but I agree with you.

$4k worth of equipment to shoot .22 rimfire out to 200 or 300 yards may seem excessive but compared to “real” long range shooting it is comparatively cheap. It’s also much easier to find 200 and 300 yard ranges vs 1,000 yard to 1 mile ranges in most of the US.
    I agree. Im looking into some long gun precision stuff now and Ive decided for me its its better to buy equipment that will do whatever you want out of the box. Unless you are the kind of person that likes to build. Personally Id rather shoot than tinker. One thing for sure its all fun.

Air rifles under 5.6mm here are good to go, above that they need to be licenses like firearms.

Something like a 10/22 or any other semi auto 22 is a restricted firearm here and as hard to own as an AR.

OP hit me up if I can help or get you hooked up with some helpful down there
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    That's too bad about the restriction. I was going to opine that high end competition is great but just for grins, I found a standard 10/22 that I added a red dot to was just fine for some relaxing steel challenge. Inexpensive and I'm not into the guns with the Hubble telescope mounted on them, it served my entertainment well. I have a friend who does that. Good for him, he helped me put a rail on the gun and mount the sight.

I am bummed that I am limited to 10 round mags nowadays. Had to sell my 30s. Scotus - can you hear my persistent wailing and lamentation.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Air rifles under 5.6mm here are good to go, above that they need to be licenses like firearms.

Something like a 10/22 or any other semi auto 22 is a restricted firearm here and as hard to own as an AR.

OP hit me up if I can help or get you hooked up with some helpful down there
    @WitBlitz

User Tag List