Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wired Headphone Routing to avoid CCW Draw Foul

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    "Where you live" has no bearing on the fact that having earbuds in and listening to what's coming out of them reduces your ability to hear what's around you.
    I use the Walkers Bluetooth hearing pro to listen to music.

It augments external sounds while giving hearing protection and allowing directionality.

If firearm needed to be drawn in self defense the hearing is also protected.

For the OP with wired headphones, a two layer shirt system could work. Wires under the undershirt and the holster over it.

"Where you live" has no bearing on the fact that having earbuds in and listening to what's coming out of them reduces your ability to hear what's around you.
    If you live where that doesn't matter......

While I don't even own ear buds or headphones ...IF I were to wear them I could potentially run the possibility of a soccer mom jumping to he curb in her AMG G-Wagon or Tesla SUV and hitting me but the chances of that are low enough that if I'm worried about that then I should be worried about a plane falling out of the sky as I'm walking by. Both could happen!!! As far as crime goes ....well it doesn't so there's not much to listen for in that sense

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Bluetooth is the way to go, I hate to say it. But if you're not changing, route along the back. And wrap excess cord around the phone.

As for not wearing earphones. Yes and no. I concur you'll lose situational awareness with music or especially podcasts playing (anything you have to think about while walking reduced your awareness by an order of magnitude). BUT wearing headphones can reduce the number of interactions you have to deal with.

I've been told by a number of female friends and colleagues, they will put earbuds in, often without sound, while on public transit or while walking. They typically choose bright colors. It reduces the number of times that men will accost them, because if someone doesn't think he can get a woman's attention he'll leave her alone.

We have an unspoken societal rule - headphones = leave me alone in our society. This can dramatically reduce random interactions with homeless/randos/etc.

It's a tactic to employ in certain situations and it works quite well, in others it doesn't. With the sound off the mild reduction in hearing isn't significant.

Street urchins and thugs in New Haven, CT were stealing phones from oblivious owners in alarming quantities. It was so easy to do it got it's own name, 'Apple Picking'. The NHPD ran a sting operation on the pawn shops and the off brand wireless stores looking for stolen phones called, 'Apple Harvest'.

The majority of the people you see on the street are practically asking to be victimized.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Bluetooth is the way to go, I hate to say it. But if you're not changing, route along the back. And wrap excess cord around the phone.

As for not wearing earphones. Yes and no. I concur you'll lose situational awareness with music or especially podcasts playing (anything you have to think about while walking reduced your awareness by an order of magnitude). BUT wearing headphones can reduce the number of interactions you have to deal with.

I've been told by a number of female friends and colleagues, they will put earbuds in, often without sound, while on public transit or while walking. They typically choose bright colors. It reduces the number of times that men will accost them, because if someone doesn't think he can get a woman's attention he'll leave her alone.

We have an unspoken societal rule - headphones = leave me alone in our society. This can dramatically reduce random interactions with homeless/randos/etc.

It's a tactic to employ in certain situations and it works quite well, in others it doesn't. With the sound off the mild reduction in hearing isn't significant.
    I used to wear earplugs in the gym. It didn't work as well as I liked.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    If you live where that doesn't matter......

While I don't even own ear buds or headphones ...IF I were to wear them I could potentially run the possibility of a soccer mom jumping to he curb in her AMG G-Wagon or Tesla SUV and hitting me but the chances of that are low enough that if I'm worried about that then I should be worried about a plane falling out of the sky as I'm walking by. Both could happen!!! As far as crime goes ....well it doesn't so there's not much to listen for in that sense

The last time I wore headphones/ear buds in both ears I heard claws clicking on pavement just before a pit bull latched on to my forearm from behind. I ended up shooting it in the chest to end the attack. Hence why it was the last time. Crime isn't the only concern.

Now I just wear one or I just let music play from my cell phone speakers. Even on the trail, I want to be able to hear bicyclists who may be on the same trail before they come around a down hill turn, etc.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The last time I wore headphones/ear buds in both ears I heard claws clicking on pavement just before a pit bull latched on to my forearm from behind. I ended up shooting it in the chest to end the attack. Hence why it was the last time. Crime isn't the only concern.

Now I just wear one or I just let music play from my cell phone speakers. Even on the trail, I want to be able to hear bicyclists who may be on the same trail before they come around a down hill turn, etc.
    I don't own a pair, I was never into music like that. I very rarely even listen to it outside of my car. Don't even own a stereo. That being said.....

I totally get the reasons why and I'm not saying you should go around completely clueless but you also have to know your area. Lots of people with dogs here, all leashed and nothing scarier than a golden retriever. No dogs are running around. Nothing more wild than a squirrel, groundhog or deer, no serious criminal activity.

Site Supporter
    You need to try some AirPod Pros and leave 2002 behind. I cannot understand having a wire.

They have a feature - transparency that allow all the noise through.

There are times to just be and not have the noise on and times to have the noise on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Any ideas on what kind of "clip" would work? Maybe something like an electrical alligator clip that I secure to the extension cable or something.
    I find these badge clips to be quite secure and if you run the cable through the loop, it can still feed through it, yet hold it in place. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DFTS3BG

You might even be able to walk into any commercial building that has badge security and ask if they have one at the security desk.

User Tag List