Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P 10 MM

If this proves to have better reliability than a G20 I am fairly interested.

Site Supporter
    I have no use for a 10mm…but an M&P in that caliber would be cool, and I already have holsters for it (assuming it’s the same size as the 45).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Smith and Wesson has their own forge, I believe. So… they wouldn’t need to import anything. And it’s not to say they couldn’t/shouldn’t improve/simplify the design (like removing those camming lugs on the inside of the frame) like SA did.
    Sourcing forgings overseas is an economic / price point issue, not a technical capability issue.

It's not that they (or SA) couldn't make make the forgings, it's that it would cost too much for them to do it.

Gun companies exist to make money, not guns, and a $2,000 1006 is not a money maker.

Site Supporter
    Has this rumor been validated anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Well dang, I remember researching that a couple years back as after handling the 10mm, but all I could find was the 'roll your own' solution. Guessing it wasn't really a huge run?
    I don't know if it was a one time only thing, or if it was a limited run that they would do every few years, and it just hasn't come up again yet?

Then again, it is Sig...the "let's make one with diamond plate on the slide!" followed immediately by "Let's never acknowledge it's existence or sell parts for it again ever"...so who knows.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    If this proves to have better reliability than a G20 I am fairly interested.
    ??

Better reliability with what ammo?

The G20 runs just fine with standard factory 10mm loads.

If you want to run hotter ammo you need to restoring the gun accordingly.

There aren’t many semi auto pistols which work reliably with Flatnose hard cast lead bullets in stock form.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Also given the durability issues the M&P had with .357 SIG not sure how it will hold up to 10mm.
    Durability issues? Haven't heard of any of those. Extraction issues, yes for sure. I have a factory .357Sig barrel for my M&P 40 and it's ain't good unless you scrub the chamber after 3 to 4 mags, but nothing has ever broken on it. It's sad because it's likely the most accurate handgun in my safe and runs great right up to the point that it doesn't. I can shoot multiple hundreds of .40 through it without any bother at all.

Seriously if you have any sources I'd love to read up on it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Durability issues? Haven't heard of any of those. Extraction issues, yes for sure. I have a factory .357Sig barrel for my M&P 40 and it's ain't good unless you scrub the chamber after 3 to 4 mags, but nothing has ever broken on it. It's sad because it's likely the most accurate handgun in my safe and runs great right up to the point that it doesn't. I can shoot multiple hundreds of .40 through it without any bother at all.

Seriously if you have any sources I'd love to read up on it.
    Open sources ? No.

Based on reports from the NC and NM state police both of which dropped them. NC kept the 357 round and went to SIG P229DAKs, NM kept the M&P but went to 9mm.

In fairness, the various Glocks, Berettas etc in .357 have had similar issues. The SIG 226/229 are the only .357 SIG chambered guns that have held up satisfactorily and run reliably, IF proper PMCS is performed.

If this turns out to be true I'll buy one as my first non-9mm M&P.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Open sources ? No.

Based on reports from the NC and NM state police both of which dropped them. NC kept the 357 round and went to SIG P229DAKs, NM kept the M&P but went to 9mm.

In fairness, the various Glocks, Berettas etc in .357 have had similar issues. The SIG 226/229 are the only .357 SIG chambered guns that have held up satisfactorily and run reliably, IF proper PMCS is performed.
    Spent some time with the NMSP guys involved with the decision. The guns shot themselves apart pretty quickly. Glocks did too. PMCS was something to be learned about. Those cops are issued at least a case of ammo a year. Some of them actually shoot. Others trade the ammo to poor souls who need it...

pat

User Tag List