Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P 10 MM

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    I wish they would use that steel frame on a .45. As for the 10mm M&P, I have the .45, the only thing 10mm has ever interested me in is the ability to fit another couple of 200+ grain projectiles in a magazine, relative to .45.
    They did! I got lucky enough to find one of them a few years ago. The model was 220R-45-SBSS, and it was in the same 37B prefix as the 220 10mms, same front checkering, etc.

Funnily enough, cruising one of the Sig forums, apparently a known issue on higher round count steel frame 45s is parts breakages - since the steel frame has less "give" than the alloy frames, the forces get transferred more to the smaller parts, which break more often...

Pardon the dirt and schmutz on it, I just dug it out for some photos for a proof of life (and to make sure I didn't forget in which stack of crap in the safe it was buried in):

Name:  IMG_1158.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  87.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_1161.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  54.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_1163.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  100.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1159.jpg
Size:  97.1 KB

Edit - if you have money coming out of your ears, you could of course just buy the 10mm, replace the locking block with a 45, and swap a 45 upper onto it...it'd be an expensive way to get you there, but you'd get a steel framed 45 that way...

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I like the 10mm cartridge. I have taken one deer with it and it performed well. I also like the idea of having a 10mm with me when I'm in the back country.

I have a S&W1006 which serves as my back country gun, but it is a tank and I wouldn't mind having a lighter gun (but then again I do most of my back country activities mounted so it really doesnt matter).

I also have an M&P45 with which I am very impressed with. I have to admit that the idea of that pistol being able to spit 10mm round is appealing to me.

All that said, when I get my ass out of Kalifornia and start spending as much time back country as I would like, my work gun will be a Glock so I probably should just take the mark of the beast and get a G20 if I am not longer man enough to pack the 1006.

Still, I like the idea of an M&P in 10 Mike Mike.

Like many here, I’m old enough to remember the whole Dornaus and Dixon, Bren Ten debacle. When Vltor was showing their revived version, many, many years ago, I got pretty excited. Disappointment being a long time friend, when the production gun never materialized, my interest in the cartridge waned. A G20.5 MOS might catch my interest, but I won’t get my hopes up on that, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    They did! I got lucky enough to find one of them a few years ago. The model was 220R-45-SBSS, and it was in the same 37B prefix as the 220 10mms, same front checkering, etc.

Funnily enough, cruising one of the Sig forums, apparently a known issue on higher round count steel frame 45s is parts breakages - since the steel frame has less "give" than the alloy frames, the forces get transferred more to the smaller parts, which break more often...

Pardon the dirt and schmutz on it, I just dug it out for some photos for a proof of life (and to make sure I didn't forget in which stack of crap in the safe it was buried in):

Name:  IMG_1158.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  87.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_1161.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  54.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_1163.jpg
Size:  100.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1159.jpg
Size:  97.1 KB

Edit - if you have money coming out of your ears, you could of course just buy the 10mm, replace the locking block with a 45, and swap a 45 upper onto it...it'd be an expensive way to get you there, but you'd get a steel framed 45 that way...

Well dang, I remember researching that a couple years back as after handling the 10mm, but all I could find was the 'roll your own' solution. Guessing it wasn't really a huge run?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I like the 10mm cartridge. I have taken one deer with it and it performed well. I also like the idea of having a 10mm with me when I'm in the back country.

I have a S&W1006 which serves as my back country gun, but it is a tank and I wouldn't mind having a lighter gun (but then again I do most of my back country activities mounted so it really doesnt matter).

I also have an M&P45 with which I am very impressed with. I have to admit that the idea of that pistol being able to spit 10mm round is appealing to me.

All that said, when I get my ass out of Kalifornia and start spending as much time back country as I would like, my work gun will be a Glock so I probably should just take the mark of the beast and get a G20 if I am not longer man enough to pack the 1006.

Still, I like the idea of an M&P in 10 Mike Mike.

Guadalupe mountains. Enough reason to move to Texas.

Can’t wait to get back out there soon.

Site Supporter
    Smith should just make a new 1006.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Smith should just make a new 1006.
    Not economically viable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not economically viable.
    Everyone would have said that about the Hi Power until about 2 weeks ago.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Everyone would have said that about the Hi Power until about 2 weeks ago.
    First the HP has a much wider market than all the S&W DA autos combined.

Second, SA is making it work by importing forgings from overseas (Korea) similar to what they did with 1911s built on Brazilian forgings. That doesn't mean FN/Browning could meet the same price points. Would you want a 3rd world clone of a 1006 ?

Third the HP (like the SIG Classic P series) is a simpler design and cheaper to make that 3rd gen S&W autos. Like revolvers some people have mistakenly fallen into thinking of 3rd gen S&W autos as "cheap guns" due to the period when they were available as LE surplus.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    First the HP has a much wider market than all the S&W DA autos combined.

Second, SA is making it work by importing forgings from overseas (Korea) similar to what they did with 1911s built on Brazilian forgings. That doesn't mean FN/Browning could meet the same price points. Would you want a 3rd world clone of a 1006 ?

Third the HP (like the SIG Classic P series) is a simpler design and cheaper to make that 3rd gen S&W autos. Like revolvers some people have mistakenly fallen into thinking of 3rd gen S&W autos as "cheap guns" due to the period when they were available as LE surplus.
    Smith and Wesson has their own forge, I believe. So… they wouldn’t need to import anything. And it’s not to say they couldn’t/shouldn’t improve/simplify the design (like removing those camming lugs on the inside of the frame) like SA did.

User Tag List